PDA

View Full Version : Why was "Ubuntu Christian Edition rant" closed?

TeeAhr1
August 24th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I posted once to this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=233375) (Ubuntu Christian Edition rant), and just now went back to revisit the conversation. The thread had been closed. KiwiNZ closed the thread with this comment:

In line with the following rule
1. *ALL* posts and replies must be polite and courteous. You are not free to degrade, demean, humiliate, troll and attack other forum members, ethic groups or political groups.

This thread has gone for long enough
Now, I'm not trying to imply that there was none of that in the thread, but it seemed vastly in the minority. It seemed to me like a group of reasonable adults disagreeing on a very controversial topic, as can be expected in a diverse group such as is found on these forums.

I'm also most certainly not trying to accuse KiwiNZ (or any other moderator) of pushing an agenda, because I don't believe that's the case at all. I just don't understand the motivation. I didn't see any name calling or bashing of any particular person/s in that thread, even after going over the whole thing again (just now). Heated disagreements, definitely. I would assume the thread was closed per the part of the rule: You are not free to degrade, demean, humiliate, troll and attack other forum members, ethic groups or political groups. But I'd argue that this rule was stretched pretty thin in this instance.

I'm not trying to restart the discussion from that thread. The issue I raised was answered to my satisfaction, and I feel no need to revisit it. I'm not trying to pick a fight with KiwiNZ or anyone else. It's the forum moderators' job to draw the line, and I'm sure it's a tough job, I wouldn't want it. I guess I'm just looking for a clarification on the forum rules themselves. Was there one particular post that crossed the line and got the thread shut down? I'm totally willing to admit that there may be something here that I didn't see/understand. But if so, I want to know what it is, so I can avoid inadvertantly crossing that line myself.

Kindest regards-
p.daniels

KiwiNZ
August 24th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for taking the time to raise this issue. I will look at the points you have raised and review the thread in question.

It may take a couple of days , is that OK?

TeeAhr1
August 24th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Of course, take whatever time you need. Thanks for the prompt reply.

KiwiNZ
August 25th, 2006, 05:46 AM
After reading the entire thread again , and again ,I have decided that my decision to close that thread was wrong.I must have been having a bad day.

I have moved the post I made when I closed it to the jail and I have opened the thread.

I apologise to TeeAhr1 and anyone that was following the thread.
I thank you TeeAhr1 for bringing this here and giving me the opportunity to make right.