PDA

View Full Version : idea for spreading ubuntu...

Ravenseye
August 24th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Now, this may seem like a silly idea (I'm known for 'em actually...) But, hear me out on this :)

Q: What is the day that the most computers tend to be sold?
a: Black Friday

Q: Where are most of these computers sold?
a: Wal-Mart

Q: Where would be an excellent place to hand out cd's/dvd's of k/x/ubuntu?
a: Wal-Mart on Black Friday!

Besides having to wear armor, and staying warm and all that, does this sound like a good idea?

-Mike

bobbybobington
August 24th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Sounds great :D But i think most people would go to best buy or a "computer place" to buy a computer, but i'm sure plenty of people go to walmart (in the US anyways) for computers that it will work. My point is why stop at just walmart?

Ravenseye
August 24th, 2006, 05:12 AM
I totally agree!

the only thing I can see as an obstacle to that, is the fact that Best Buy, CompUSA, and others of their ilk make a living selling hardware and software...they might be a bit nervous if there were a bunch of folks in the parking lot handing out free stuff.

WalMart definately doesn't make a living selling software, they sell a ton of computers though because they have an enormous customer base to pander to :)

-Mike

P.S. it might also be nice to have a distro of linux that is totally rigged for gaming...with a game and a development environment for the game included on the disk. ;')

aysiu
August 24th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Doesn't Wal-Mart already sell Linspire computers?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3762912

Ravenseye
August 24th, 2006, 05:28 AM
they certainly do sell a system that is already pre-loaded with a Linux environment.

But, wouldnt it be nicer to give everyone who purchases a computer there the option of running linux?

Especially one of the children of ubuntu?

Hand out Live DVD's with just about any software they'll need to do anything and I am certain that we'll see more linux users :)

-Mike

aysiu
August 24th, 2006, 05:46 AM
I'm certain we'll see a lot of frustrated people proclaiming Ubuntu or Linux isn't "ready for the desktop."

Most people who buy computers from Wal-Mart have no experience installing an operating system (not even Windows) and do not have the inclination to troubleshoot hardware detection problems.

kadymae
August 24th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Okay, here's what I'd suggest -- and I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but sometimes (speaking from my public service experience) the obvious isn't.

You don't want to be tresspassed off the property. Talk to the manager of the store beforehand, and bring a few samples of the shipit disk. Explain that you are not selling anything, there is no sign up, and there is no obligation, but you'd like to set up a small table for people to come over and pick up a disk. (If you play your cards right, you might even get a small table in the foyer by the exit.)

This isn't going to work if you're forcing things on people. Let the curious come to you.

I'm thinking a small folding table, (wo)manned by a relaxed crew of "Ubuntunistas" handing out 1 copy of an Ubuntu live CD per party. (And get the nice shipit versions, not a home burned copy. The idea is to look as professional as possible.) (Besides, I'll trust a factory sealed disk, not some home burnt who knows what.)

Have a placard (not homemade signs) with the Ubuntu logo and the "Linux For Human Beings" slogan. But also have a few placards saying, "When you can't get Windows to work, try this disk!"

Have a few brochures there explaining what Linux and Ubuntu are, why Ubuntu is wicked keen, and how to use this disk to boot your computer and get on line in an emergency (basic how to config to get on line and where to find Firefox). (And for goodness' sake, have the brochure copy edited!).

---

aysiu
August 24th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Maybe you should also have some brochures explaining how to install Ubuntu and troubleshoot problems.

We don't need any more users with unrealistic expectations popping Ubuntu into their computers and then complaining that it didn't work "magic."

Ravenseye
August 24th, 2006, 06:20 AM
New users have to start somewhere...

Since this is a live distro, that normally works out of the burner, it has a hell of a shot at making some inroads to the "unwashed masses"...at least I'd think so...

-Mike

Ravenseye
August 24th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Thats pretty much what I had in mind Kadymae :)

I want to make sure that the experience is as non-threatening to the folks who are there as possible :)
(I work as a retail salesman...non-threatening is good!)

I also want to make sure that the presentation makes a kickass impression on them as well! (I'm an amateur marketing/designing/copywriting/editor-ing geek as well!) ;)

I know enough people in town where we can get signage and marketing propaganda printed up at a good price as well. And, I can throw together some excellent quickstart guides for simple things. I'd get those printed up at lulu.com to make sure they have a good feel to them.

I do not know if I'd want to set up in the entrance of the wal-marts....thats where the stampedes happen! (ever been there on black friday?,,,oy!)

-Mike

pegwole
August 25th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Kadymae, myself and some friendswho run RLUG (Richmond Linux Useres Group) here in Indiana are currently waiting on a shipment of Ubuntu and Kubuntu disks (about 40 of them) to hand out at local computer stores. Thanks to you, i now know a good way to go about it, I don't want you to think i'm stealing your idea though, but thanks so much in advance for your awesome plan!

Ravenseye
August 25th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Sure! anytime!

I'm only too glad to help spread the word :)

I just wish I could have a better grip on it so I can be a more informed user, rather than just a cage rattler! :)

-Mike

haiku99
August 25th, 2006, 05:31 AM
spreading Ubuntu is a great idea, but Walmart probably isn't the best place, IIRC their policy prohibits any sort of solicitation in front of their stores, some people were arrested in front of Walmart in my town awhile back, though their message was political....maybe CompUSA instead??? don't know what their policy is....

Ravenseye
August 25th, 2006, 06:25 AM
the only thing I'd assume would be a problem, is that at a store specifically there to sell you software and hardware, that they may assume we are competition...

So I'd think that would not work too well...

Now, at Wal-Mart, they sell everything under the sun, so I'd be hard pressed to think that they would think we were trying to compete with them :)

And you are right on the no solicitation policy...perhaps we can chat up someone in a more official capacity at W-M and see how this can be set up....

-Mike

ChadMMc
August 25th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Actually a good idea are the public/flea/farmer's/ whatever markets that are all over the place.

The Ubuntu Word would be spread. (Yikes, practically a religion.)
:-k

Jacks0n
August 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a great idea! Good luck though. I've always gotten "but windows works fine!", "but computers are like that they, they just crash every now and then", "linux is only for nerds, I don't want to learn code", or "I have no need for linux".

Ravenseye
August 27th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Well, going where the folks are who need it most is where this operating system should be spearheading the way!

It's free, as in free $ and free (as in beer) and free as in...American!

Now, another idea has popped into my fuzzy lil melon thanks to the ideas brought up by all contributers...

If we hand out discs to folks, there should be either;

a) a customized distro that has links to local linux users groups and/or universities where people can look to for help with this new fangled toy they have.

b) a leaflet with it with some web addresses, and numbers and meeting times for the local user groups where they can obtain help.

Now, the only hesitation that I have, is that I went to a local user group with hopes of getting help with my newfound interest in the Linux Operating System, and was pretty much ignored and told that I should stick with windows....I guess if I ain't hacking the kernel and downloading the latest nightly builds and compiling them myself, I'm not on their level... That helped a lot, and definately would not encourage me to tell people to go to this particular group...ever.

So, if anyone has more constructive advice, or any ideas on organizing this, I'd welcome the input!

-Mike

Paul133
September 7th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Look, I'm not a purist, but you don't want to give Ubuntu to people who can't install it and don't want to learn how. You'll just get bad press like aysiu said. We need to give Ubuntu disks to people who are proficient at computers, like...well, how about HS computer groups. Just donate free Ubuntu disks. And churches, though that's being dealt with by my friends at Ubuntu CE! But, ppl buying a computer from Wal Mart? Maybe CompUSA, though. They attract moderately to proficiently competent users, I'd say.

Penzao
September 7th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Great Idea. Head to every Circut-City, Best Buy and walm,art and make an Ubuntu Booth. Have demos and just give out the Cd's!