PDA

View Full Version : I've found a way to find out in what order you get beans, cups, ect.

dielois1
August 19th, 2006, 08:06 PM
If your looking at a message with a lot of different bean, coffee, and other stuff like that and you want to know in what order it goes, so you could find out what comes next.

Biltong (Dee)
August 19th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Sweetie, there is no order, apart from what lurks in the twisted dark coffee-deprived minds of the mods.
If you do see an order to anything they will soon prove you wrong :-)

matthew
August 19th, 2006, 08:47 PM
LOL. I just wrote this today to replace the old sticky with updated info.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239560

xmastree
August 20th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Sweetie, there is no order, apart from what lurks in the twisted dark coffee-deprived minds of the mods.Yeah. Apparently, right now, I'm Iced Almond Soy or something...
Sounds a bit too new-age hippy for my liking.

Where's my Java?

Biltong (Dee)
August 20th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Caffene withdrawal is good for the soul. :-)

cjm5229
August 21st, 2006, 11:00 PM
I'm an old trucker, I like my coffee, straight up,. Only additive I want is a drop of diesel fuel.:) Thanks for the 40 weight! 10-4?

Solrac924
May 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
If your looking at a message with a lot of different bean, coffee, and other stuff like that and you want to know in what order it goes, so you could find out what comes next.

i don't understand something here. are you saying you've "found a way"? what is it then? in what order are the beans, cups, carafes, and so on? i don't see anyone here posting the order, nor what to do to get bumped up to the next level.
me, i'm just a newbie. first downloaded Ubuntu last week when Heron was released. first got it actually working Sunday night. i don't know much but i know some the coffee rank goes something like this:

* First Cup of Ubuntu, Spilled the Beans
** 5 Cups of Ubuntu, Just Give Me the Beans!
*** A Carafe of Ubuntu, Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
**** Way Too Much Ubuntu
***** Quad Shot of Ubuntu
uu*** Dipped in Ubuntu
u***u Fresh Brewed Ubuntu, Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
uuu** Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
Uuuuu May the Ubuntu Be With You!, Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
UUuu Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
UUUUU 100% Pure Ubuntu

*=brown bean
u=cup
U=large cup

LaRoza
May 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
i don't understand something here. are you saying you've "found a way"? what is it then? in what order are the beans, cups, carafes, and so on? i don't see anyone here posting the order, nor what to do to get bumped up to the next level.
me, i'm just a newbie. first downloaded Ubuntu last week when Heron was released. first got it actually working Sunday night. i don't know much but i know some the coffee rank goes something like this:

* First Cup of Ubuntu, Spilled the Beans
** 5 Cups of Ubuntu, Just Give Me the Beans!
*** A Carafe of Ubuntu, Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
**** Way Too Much Ubuntu
***** Quad Shot of Ubuntu
uu*** Dipped in Ubuntu
u***u Fresh Brewed Ubuntu, Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
uuu** Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
Uuuuu May the Ubuntu Be With You!, Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
UUuu Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
UUUUU 100% Pure Ubuntu

*=brown bean
u=cup
U=large cup

What about mine?

And your list isn't near complete. The titles change when the cups do not sometimes, and the cups change when the title doesn't.

matthew
May 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Hmm...

This was a two year old thread. I've changed the rankings and order a few times since. Maybe it is time for me to do so again.

/me forsees new names soon...

Artificial Intelligence
May 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
yaaa..! Necromancing!!!
Now we've ghouls and ghosts crawling all over the place :popcorn:

PriceChild
May 3rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
/me wonders why people want to spoil the fun and make these lists
Hmm...

This was a two year old thread. I've changed the rankings and order a few times since. Maybe it is time for me to do so again.

/me forsees new names soon...
/me realises matthew is slowly being lured to the dark side (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat)...

Solrac924
May 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM
you 2 dudes are uber-masters. you guys have thousands of posts. i'm just awed. :shock:
no, my list probably isn't near half complete. it's just what i've seen in the last few days. as for those roasters/large cups, i rarely see those. you guys must be gurus or something.

pbpersson
May 6th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Caffene withdrawal is good for the soul. :-)

NO, not at all, I do not agree.

Life without coffee is like a.....well, like a really long nap ;)

LaRoza
May 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM
you 2 dudes are uber-masters. you guys have thousands of posts. i'm just awed. :shock:
no, my list probably isn't near half complete. it's just what i've seen in the last few days. as for those roasters/large cups, i rarely see those. you guys must be gurus or something.

Admins and Mods have the same images of the group no matter how many beans we have.

Joeb454
May 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM
You guys have "special cups"

Solrac924
May 6th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Oh, you're staff. i didn't notice that. do you guys get paid good? how do i know when i am gonna be bumped up? is it at 50 posts? :?

LaRoza
May 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Oh, you're staff. i didn't notice that. do you guys get paid good? how do i know when i am gonna be bumped up? is it at 50 posts? :?

We get paid in complaints.

"bumped up"? It is random, or as good as random. If anyone is paying attention to it, they need to find something else to do in a hurry.

matthew
May 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Oh, you're staff. i didn't notice that. do you guys get paid good? how do i know when i am gonna be bumped up? is it at 50 posts? :?None of us are paid, all the staff are volunteers who enjoy Ubuntu and enjoy helping others.

Re: the beans and stuff...see the FAQ (http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=48).

What's the deal with coffee cups/beans and the funny titles?
Beans are posts. The post/bean count can be turned off by the user if so desired.
There tends to be a close connection between geeks and coffee, so that's where the theme came from. Yes, we know not everyone likes coffee, but it's just a silly thing.
The images, their colors, and the changing icons don't have any special meaning. They simply change as time goes by. You will see (among other things) green coffee beans, roasted (brown) coffee beans, various sorts of coffee cups and mugs and so on. Like the titles, nothing specific is implied by the presence of specific images or titles (in almost all cases that is...staff, admins and banned users are some of the exceptions). These items are for fun, and are not serious. They are not a rank of any kind. They don't tell anyone how long you've been here nor how many posts you've made. The sayings and the images are a semi-random feature we have to provide a little kick. There is some structure to it, but only on the implementation side. We did this on purpose - because it was fun and whimsical.
There isn't a list of what you get, and when, because that's not the point. The reason for the secrecy was/is this: while we want to reward people who participate in these forums with titles and changing symbols we really don't want them to become some sort of gauge that people use to determine whether someone is speaking with more/less authority on a support topic. Other forums use the title/icon system that way and more power to them. However, there are people here with less than 20 posts who can code circles around much of the staff and are capable of giving amazing and useful responses to support questions...and there are some of us here with thousands of posts who might get lucky with a good and helpful reply on occasion. The fear is that people might use post count and titles/symbols as a means of judging the validity of a post's content rather than the content itself. We had a long discussion about this in the forums when they were first started and this subject has been revisited among the staff several times. Some forum members and staff wanted to eliminate the post count and title/icon system completely, some have gone the other way wanting a complete ranking system that is clear and gives honorific titles with great meaning to those with higher post counts (that particular group is in the extreme minority). The current system is a compromise that has been working pretty well for a while. With the compromise of meaningless titles/icons, post count can be hidden in UserCP. Anyway, this is why we don't publish how many posts are necessary for a change in title/icon...it's just a silly reward. The post numbers needed for title changes is something that is easy to modify so it gets modified on occasion, when the admins don't have better things occupying their time, merely to maintain the surprise factor. Bottom line: it just a trivial, whimsically amusing little thing. Don't read too much into it...it really isn't worth the slightest emotional involvement.

talsemgeest
May 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I've noticed a few trends, just in passing. I find it intriguing, good job to Mathew and everyone else who helps make this forum such a unique place.

kevdog
May 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Once you get up far enough --- the cup icons never change -- just an FYI. But once you get up far enough -- you don't really care either!

LaRoza
May 17th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Once you get up far enough --- the cup icons never change -- just an FYI. But once you get up far enough -- you don't really care either!

It can change. You can be a good member and maybe become staff eventually, or you can go right for the Burnt Beans.

talsemgeest
May 17th, 2008, 11:11 PM
It can change. You can be a good member and maybe become staff eventually, or you can go right for the Burnt Beans.
Just the thought of the burnt beans make me cringe...

LaRoza
May 17th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Just the thought of the burnt beans make me cringe...

I know of two people who actually wanted them. Me and someone else have asked if we could get those icons...

-grubby
May 17th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I know of two people who actually wanted them. Me and someone else have asked if we could get those icons...

make that 3. I love how the burnt beans look.

LaRoza
May 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM
make that 3. I love how the burnt beans look.

Give us a second nathan, you'll get them soon....

overdrank
May 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Here you go

FuturePilot
May 18th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Burnt Beans don't taste very good....

talsemgeest
May 18th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Oh the pain!

kevdog
May 18th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I just want one burnt bean -- next to a regular bean. I want other users to have to take a double take and say "is that intended" or "is the forum just messed up with that user"! Messing with people's mind!! On the same topic, I wouldn't mind a burnt cup either -- it was the container for the burnt beans.

overdrank
May 18th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I just want one burnt bean -- next to a regular bean. I want other users to have to take a double take and say "is that intended" or "is the forum just messed up with that user"! Messing with people's mind!! On the same topic, I wouldn't mind a burnt cup either -- it was the container for the burnt beans.

Maybe as a special feature when 7000 post are reached.

LaRoza
May 18th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Maybe as a special feature when 7000 post are reached.

I wish.

-grubby
May 18th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Give us a second nathan, you'll get them soon....

:lolflag:

/me goes to post spam

FuturePilot
May 18th, 2008, 06:57 AM

A burnt cup? :lolflag:
I wonder what that would look like. Maybe instead of steam, it would be smoke?

Mr A Mouse
May 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM
...or you can go right for the Burnt Beans.

Burnt beans = banned?

Artificial Intelligence
May 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Burnt beans = banned?

Aye