PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we should turn polls off (split from another thread)

ubuntu-geek
August 18th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I think we should turn polls off :)

aysiu
August 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I think we should turn polls off :)
Really? Why?

omns
August 18th, 2006, 09:39 PM

aysiu
August 18th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Why don't we take it on a case by case basis? For example, is this poll "a subversive way of trolling certain issues"? If not, why did this suddenly come up in this thread and not in other threads?

By the way, I've found the polls to actually be quite informative if the proper options are presented. For example, in my "preloaded Linux" poll, I found out that a lot of people build their own computers. I had no idea, and short of counting up the responses and comparing them... I would still have no idea without a poll.

Can't you and Ubuntu-Geek have your posts put into a separate thread in the Forums Discussion area called "Should we get rid of polls?"

You can even put a poll on it if you want...

matthew
August 18th, 2006, 09:51 PM
This thread was started with 4 posts which were originally part of the following thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239003

I split them off to allow the original thread to continue on topic while giving a place to discuss this idea.

KiwiNZ
August 18th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Maybe we should make them moderated.That is the OP sets them up , and before they are posted staff check them and correct them.

aysiu
August 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Maybe we should make them moderated.That is the OP sets them up , and before they are posted staff check them and correct them.
I'd have no problem with that. That sounds like a great idea, actually--sort of like how the HowTo section works (Customization Tips & Tricks)?

Klaidas
August 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
This depends on the user istelf.
I mean, trolling can happen without the too.

omns
August 18th, 2006, 11:09 PM

panickedthumb
August 19th, 2006, 12:00 AM
+1 for Kiwi's idea about poll moderation

John.Michael.Kane
August 19th, 2006, 12:22 AM
You may have a problem with poll moderation. atleast from those who's polls are denied. that would still leave the poster an option of bashing those who they think denied their thread or still making said thread without the poll attached or both.

just a thought.

aysiu
August 19th, 2006, 12:26 AM
How about instead of a flatout yes/no approval/disapproval, moderators leave the ability for poll-makers to get a little guidance on picking proper poll options?

For example, if a poll says, "Does Ubuntu need to improve?" and the only options are "Hell, yes! It sucks right now!" and "I think it's perfect. There's nothing you can do to make it better," that doesn't allow for what most people will answer, which is something in between. And the phrasing is clearly baiting a flames.

Likewise, even if it's not flamebait, sometimes it might help to get additional input on poll options. If I had had that, I wouldn't have left off "I build my own PCs" off the Linux-preloaded poll (which assumed wrongly that most people would buy a Windows-preloaded, Mac-preloaded, or Linux-preloaded computer).

BWF89
August 20th, 2006, 09:42 PM
How about instead of restricting users on the ability to make polls we could just have a screen that before posting says "Are you sure you've added an option for every possible situation someome could be having". And make them click "Yes, post this poll" or "No, go back" before they can post it.

az
August 21st, 2006, 12:55 AM
How about instead of restricting users on the ability to make polls we could just have a screen that before posting says "Are you sure you've added an option for every possible situation someome could be having". And make them click "Yes, post this poll" or "No, go back" before they can post it.

The issue is that often, the original poster does not know the whole truth about the topic in the first place. They make a poll and then five posts in, discover very interesting things about the topic.

Maybe people make a poll when all they really want to do is discuss something?

I don't think the forum staff should queue the polls. I think that sometimes, the OP should discuss the topic first, then see what comes up, and then make a poll.

Maybe wait 48 hours (?) or something? It takes a lot of interested people to be able to think of the many different angles to a topic and that is best served by the forum users (a great number) rather than the relatively small number of forum staff.

Is there a way to add a poll to a thread after is has been started?

TLE
September 29th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I don't mind if they are moderated. But I think it would be a bad idea to turn them off. They are a very usefull tool for gathering statistics which I think is really important.

As to whether we should restrict it further to ensure that the polls and the options are thought through, well I don't know. I do see the problem but I'm not sure I think it is large enough to risk demotivating serious and thorough poll makers.