PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of Faster dapper before?

kazuya
August 18th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Anyone heard of Faster Dapper. Follow the link below:

http://ostoolbox.blogspot.com/2006/07/speedup-ubuntu-with-faster-dapper.html

I have not tested it to see how effective it is in speeding up dapper. Dapper is fast enough for me at this point though. I may have to give this a try.

slimdog360
August 18th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I read about it a week or so ago but dont really know too much about it. I started using xfce last night and crickey, thats what I call faster dapper.

edit; I just ran it, the startup maybe slightly faster but if it is I cant tell. From the login screen to everything loading I can notice a difference, probably takes a good 4-5 seconds off it.
As for applications loading faster again maybe slightly faster but not much.

Id say if you have a nice stable system already I wouldnt bother running it. But on the other hand if you dont really care and want the bleeding edge of ubutnu as they say, then go for it.

kerry_s
August 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Yes, there's aready a post around here on that. It's okay, but it could make your system unstable or even disable some wanted things. I would suggest you select what you want from the script and run it one at a time. I already do some of it but i don't use preload or prelink(slows down my system) and i uninstall the services i don't want to run instead of disabling them. I do change my bash to dash, i blacklist ipv6. The script does run the reccommended tweaks you can find on the net all at once, but i would not reccommend it to anyone who did not have at least a basic understanding on how to fix things from terminal.