PDA

View Full Version : Suggested New Forum - Wine/WineX/Cedega

Optiker
August 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM
From the number of posts regarding Wine, WineX, and Cedega, a 3rd Party forum on these would be active and useful.

Thanks!
Optiker

arnieboy
August 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM
i second it. add a poll to it to see what forum users think.

Optiker
August 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM
i second it. add a poll to it to see what forum users think.

Thanks for the reply. As for a poll, don't know how, don't know where, and don't care to learn since I'm not into polls. Not being a smart-mouth, just honest. Please feel free to followup with a poll if you are inclined.

Pennsylvania...I grew up near Pittsburgh. Moved west in '64 and only brief visits since. Still have family there throughout the state. Nice state...especially the rural areas. Don't care much for cities regardless of which state it is.

Optiker

frodon
August 17th, 2006, 05:05 PM
The best place for cedega support is http://transgaming.org/forum/ as for wine it's just an apps and general/desktop support areas are good places for wine questions.
However if many users find this suggestion good maybe we should implement it.

Optiker
August 17th, 2006, 07:13 PM
The best place for cedega support is http://transgaming.org/forum/

I'm aware of the Cedega forum for support. I made the suggestion because there seem to be a good many wine questions spread over various forums here, and since there is a 3rd party set of forums, it seemed natural to include a wine forum there to consolidate, making them easier to find. Adding WineX and Cedega just seemed logical.

I have a feeling that folks like me who come here to learn, not just for tech support, get comfortable with the community, and would rather come here than the Cedega forum, even for Cedega specific questions.

Just my opinion! :)
Optiker

YokoZar
August 17th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Hmm, I don't know. I search the whole forums for wine every couple of days or so and make random replies, so that might make it more convenient for me.

On the other hand, it might be a good idea to make a wine forum over at winehq then one here, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

So, yeah, I guess I support this idea.

Kilz
August 18th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I think adding a forum for Cedega and winex is a bad idea. Its a commercial product and when someone pays for it they should go to the transgaming forums for support. If they come here and post problems. The information about those problems may never get back to the company developing the product so they can improve it.

YokoZar
August 19th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I think adding a forum for Cedega and winex is a bad idea. Its a commercial product and when someone pays for it they should go to the transgaming forums for support. If they come here and post problems. The information about those problems may never get back to the company developing the product so they can improve it.
How about a more general "Windows Compatibility" forum, then?

Heck, I'd even volunteer to help moderate it.

Optiker
August 21st, 2006, 09:15 PM
Just because one person thinks it's a bad idea doesn't mean it is.

With all due respect, I don't agree with Kilz - Even for WineX and Cedega. After all, there are many posts among these forums relating to them anyhow. Just doing a quick search on each, I get the following: Wine, 250; Cedega, 250; WineX 186. I didn't make any attempt to resolve overlaps, but there probably are many. These are spread over many different forums.

In fact, one post started a couple of days ago entitled "Wine/Cedega specific forum?" in Gaming Central raises the same suggestion.

I think that most often, forum posts aren't reporting bugs or things like that which are appropriately communicated to the publishers, but they are looking for the experiences of other users with regard to tips and issues that are usually user isues, not simply technical questions that are appropriate to publisher tech support.

Also, I personally find that forums like these have a much greater volume of traffic than ones dedicated to a particular piece of software, so the chances of getting help from somebody who is using the software and not having problems with it seems better than in a forum limited to that software, where most folks using it successfully probably aren't very active - of course, excepting tech support folks.

Regarding a broader scope like "Windows Compatibility", it may just be my limited expertise, but if I was looking for posts on wine among these forums, I'm not sure a "Windows Compatibility" forum would be the intuitively obvious place to look.

Just my opinion...
Optiker

Optiker
August 21st, 2006, 09:46 PM
deleting double post...sorry
Optiker

pcfreak
August 21st, 2006, 11:02 PM
Maybe a more general "Emulation" forum, maybe that is easier to get up and going.

Kilz
August 22nd, 2006, 12:50 AM
Just because one person thinks it's a bad idea doesn't mean it is.

With all due respect, I don't agree with Kilz - Even for WineX and Cedega. After all, there are many posts among these forums relating to them anyhow. Just doing a quick search on each, I get the following: Wine, 250; Cedega, 250; WineX 186. I didn't make any attempt to resolve overlaps, but there probably are many. These are spread over many different forums.

In fact, one post started a couple of days ago entitled "Wine/Cedega specific forum?" in Gaming Central raises the same suggestion.

I think that most often, forum posts aren't reporting bugs or things like that which are appropriately communicated to the publishers, but they are looking for the experiences of other users with regard to tips and issues that are usually user isues, not simply technical questions that are appropriate to publisher tech support.

Also, I personally find that forums like these have a much greater volume of traffic than ones dedicated to a particular piece of software, so the chances of getting help from somebody who is using the software and not having problems with it seems better than in a forum limited to that software, where most folks using it successfully probably aren't very active - of course, excepting tech support folks.

Regarding a broader scope like "Windows Compatibility", it may just be my limited expertise, but if I was looking for posts on wine among these forums, I'm not sure a "Windows Compatibility" forum would be the intuitively obvious place to look.

Just my opinion...
Optiker

This is a support forum for the most part. People are going to expect support. Cedega is a proprietary piece of software. IMHO I dont think the Ubuntu forums should be offering support for proprietary software.
One of the ways that the creators of cedega support its development is charging for support. You may be undermining that. I like Cedega, I dont want to see it stop. I have a feeling people will think its ok to stop supporting it because they can get free support for it here.
That wouldnt stop you from answering questions or helping someone with a problem with it in the games section. I just dont think it should have its own section named for it.

Optiker
August 23rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Kilz...I still disagree with you philosophically as well as operationally, but other than that, will allow you to have the last word as I don't care to argue the point.

In any case, it seems that although there have been a good many views, relatively few replies, so this thread is likely to die a quiet death with no action. The same appears to be true of the thread on Gaming Central which likewise has many views, but few replies. So, by default, no new Wine, etc. forum.

For my part, this thread can be considered closed.

Optiker

YokoZar
August 30th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Just to revive the discussion a bit:

A forum for postin Wine questions would be useful to a bunch of users
Users are likely very frequently searching for or posting wine related questions, many of which wouldn't get missed if they were in the same place
I'll volunteer to moderate the forum and read it frequently (since I build the packages, this makes sense anyway)
A more general forum for running Windows application makes sense compared with a Wine specific one, as users will naturally be offering alternative suggestions anyway (eg "well it doesn't work in Cedega but it works in the latest Wine")With all that considered, why not?

justin whitaker
September 1st, 2006, 04:50 PM
I'm not really sure we need a seperate WINE/Cedega forum....isn't that what Gaming Central is?

As for the philosophical discussion about Cedega...they way I see it, gaming on Linux is hard enough without creating arbitrary rules like "we do not support proprietary software".

These are new linux users: help a brother gamer out!

If they have a Cedega issue, and you are philosophically opposed to it, then tell them how to do it via WINE. If you don't know, reference something in the Wine or Cedega forums.

Saying: Cedega is proprietary and there for sucks devolves into a pointless vi/emacs type of argument that does not help Linux as a gaming platform one iota.

Ubuntu is a fine gamer distribution...just help people make that last step away from XP!

Turgon
September 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I agree, there should be a emulation forum under Gaming Central along with some other forums. The gaming Central is just too messy and its hard to fiind what you are looking for even with a good search. This problem could easily be solved by adding some sub-forums.

Zyphrexi
September 23rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
1. Cedega's customer support sucks bigtime

2. Good guides for specific wine/winex cvs stuff is hard to find

3. Ubuntu forums rock

4. Ubuntu forums with easy-to-find guides where noobles and exp. users can access excellent resources specific to their needs rocks harder.