PDA

View Full Version : Which would you use

Gannin
August 15th, 2006, 09:27 AM
If you were going to create a new game, be it 2D or 3D, would you choose Python or Java?

[h2o]
August 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Python. I enjoy Java as well (and have actually made a game with it once) but I find Python to be easier to work with.

thumper
August 15th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I just find Java too verbose these days.

I like python :-)

Gustav
August 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM
For making a game I would definetly go for Python.

Java might be good for apps that use standard controllers (although I wouldn't use it for that either) but when it comes to other things Python is much nicer.

If programming 3D I'd might use C instead for performance reasons.

Revert
August 15th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Python + PyGame is quite fun to mess around with.

skymt
August 15th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Does it have to be one of those two? Both have serious speed issues. I'd use good old C/C++, especially for 3D.

themusicwave
August 15th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I've written some decently speedy 2D games in Java. Even gotten some 3D stuff to work decently.

However, for anything that is 3D I would use C++ with Opengl usually.

OpenGl isn't to hard to learn, I'm currently in the process of doing so.

The only benefit of Java over c++ in this case is portability. Your game would easily port between Linux, Windows, and Mac. You can make a portable C++ app, it is just a bit harder and requires you to know how to code the GUIs for all your desired platforms(at least as far as I know).

What kind of game are you thinking of making? Or is this all hypothetical?

X.Cyclop
August 15th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Python.

A big game with the JVM would crash your computer.:mrgreen:

neocookie
August 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Java. But then again, I only do mobile games. ;)

kostkon
August 15th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Java. But then again, I only do mobile games. ;)

Yes, the same. I would program in Java only for mobile devices with J2ME. But for a 2D PC game I would use another language I know, like C with allegro (http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/).

Now, for a 3D game I would use some C/C++ open source 3D engine or as a last resort Java 3D. OK i had to edit my post. My bad; to program a 3D game in Java 3D must be a joke, but anyways... But, maybe, I would try something like DarkBasic (faster to learn I think) or even openGL with SDL.

I haven't programmed in Python yet...

Gannin
August 15th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Java does have access to OpenGL acceleration. The new Java3D libraries can use OpenGL as a back-end, and there are other Java OpenGL libraries, such as JOGL.

I know that realistically a language like C++ would be a more likely choice for a game, but I didn't add it to the list because I just wanted to focus on Python and Java. This is all hypothetically and out of curiosity. I don't have a game planned at this time.

I know that Java is being used more and more for regular, professional, 3D desktop games. I even heard that Java was used for Star Wars Galaxies, though I'm not sure about that. I really don't know much about Python.

LordHunter317
August 16th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Python.

A big game with the JVM would crash your computer.:mrgreen:Java's memory usage is far more intelligent than Python's, so this is doubtful.

It depends on the situation, but I'd likely develop in neither as a first choice.

Gannin
August 16th, 2006, 04:05 AM
I understand most wouldn't develop in either as a first choice. But, if you were going to use one or the other, I'm just curious as to which one you'd choose.