PDA

View Full Version : funding offsite backup servers - why?

manicka
August 15th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Why is the community being asked to foot the bill for 'offsite backup servers'? I was under the impression that Canonical was hosting the Forums at present.

Are Canonical's own backup procedures inadequate?

em3raldxiii
August 15th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Hmm, as far as I can tell, the ubuntuforums are not actually under Canonical's umbrella. On the contrary, I think they are hosted by a fellow Ubuntu user.

manicka
August 15th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Hmm, as far as I can tell, the ubuntuforums are not actually under Canonical's umbrella. On the contrary, I think they are hosted by a fellow Ubuntu user.

No, they are owned by ubuntu-geek. Hosting is a different matter.

rattlerviper
August 15th, 2006, 04:48 AM
What is wrong with asking for users to support the forum? They are not requiring a subscription to access the forum? If you find the forums a worthwhile project why not donate? I can only imagine the bandwidth costs of a forum like these. I have no idea except to say exspensive.

Cap'n Refsmmat
August 15th, 2006, 04:50 AM
My question is why it says "servers" when one should be sufficient with the moderately paranoid among us.

manicka
August 15th, 2006, 05:49 AM
What is wrong with asking for users to support the forum? They are not requiring a subscription to access the forum? If you find the forums a worthwhile project why not donate? I can only imagine the bandwidth costs of a forum like these. I have no idea except to say exspensive.

Yes, but if canonical are hosting the servers then the cost is negligble. So my questions remain.
If canonical is hosting the forums, why do we need an expensive offsite backup?
Are canonicals backups inadequate? Why?

KiwiNZ
August 15th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Good question manicka. But this is one for Ubuntu-geek to answer.

manicka
August 15th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I look forward to the response :)

richbarna
August 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I look forward to the response :)

Me too :)

I've always wondered how much data this forum holds (how many Gb's)

dbott67
August 15th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Me too :)

I've always wondered how much data this forum holds (how many Gb's)

Hey Rich,

I've heard that the data is stored on a server with 2 3.5 " 1.44 MB hi-density floppy disks for almost 3 MB of data! They're thinking of adding a CD-ROM that can hold 650 MB... WOW!! :)

-Dave

agurk
August 15th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I am very thankful for having this ad-free resource and meeting place. I have no problems coughing up some cash when necessary. I also have no reason to believe the people responsible for this steamliner, who are putting in a lot of their time and efforts keeping it running, would try to scam me in any way. Kudos to them. $100 on their way.

xen
August 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM
The fact that you seem so surprised that it costs money to host a forum annoys me. You are being given a free service here, why won't you give something back?

win_zik
August 15th, 2006, 05:46 PM
The fact that you seem so surprised that it costs money to host a forum annoys me. You are being given a free service here, why won't you give something back?

I think you misunderstood the op.
I'm sure he's aware of the fact that hosting these forums costs money and I'm also sure he's aware that it's a free service given to people. After all, he's a former mod iirc. Talk about giving your service for free.

This said, I think the question why an offside backup server is needed is relevant and interesting and I'm sure there'll be a good explanation for it.

ubuntu-geek
August 15th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Why is the community being asked to foot the bill for 'offsite backup servers'? I was under the impression that Canonical was hosting the Forums at present.

Are Canonical's own backup procedures inadequate?
We are not given an professional grade backup solution nor are we given a offsite backup solution, we are given a hosting solution. It would be stupid for us to keep our backups on the same server that hosts the forums, we maintain the offsite backups.

I could easily place banners on this site to supplement the cost but running a donation drive for 2-3 days is much more community friendly.

Besides, you can donate to canonical if you wish as well.

manicka
August 15th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Thankyou for clearing that up :)

All I wanted was to understand the process. My apologies if you saw it any other way.

az
August 15th, 2006, 11:16 PM
We are not given an professional grade backup solution nor are we given a offsite backup solution, we are given a hosting solution. It would be stupid for us to keep our backups on the same server that hosts the forums, we maintain the offsite backups.

I could easily place banners on this site to supplement the cost but running a donation drive for 2-3 days is much more community friendly.

Besides, you can donate to canonical if you wish as well.

Just a suggestion:

Hello community. We are asking for donations to help cover bandwidth usage/upgrades on our offsite backup servers - they serve the purpose of a redundand backup, something which is not provided by our hosting from Canonical. If you can help us with a donation that would be greatly appreciated. You can click here to donate via paypal.

Your donation is appreciated and with it, we can continue to be a banner-free, community-supported forum.

Thank you.

ubuntu-geek
August 16th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Just a suggestion:

Hello community. We are asking for donations to help cover bandwidth usage/upgrades on our offsite backup servers - they serve the purpose of a redundand backup, something which is not provided by our hosting from Canonical. If you can help us with a donation that would be greatly appreciated. You can click here to donate via paypal.

Your donation is appreciated and with it, we can continue to be a banner-free, community-supported forum.

Thank you.
Azz, noted..