PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Christian Edition v1.1 Released!

mhancoc7
August 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM
We have just released Ubuntu Christian Edition v1.1! We have added more modules to GnomeSword Bible Software. We have also made a few graphical updates as well including the new default wallpaper. The big news however is the full integration of web content parental controls powered by Dansguardian. We have even built a custom graphical tool to make it easy to adjust the filter settings.

We did have to make a few compromises to maintain the 700mb disk size. We removed Gimp, Gnome Games, and Ekiga from the default installation. However, we added an Administration menu option to make it simple to restore these programs.

This release also includes the release of two scripts for users already using the default Ubuntu or Ubuntu Christian Edition v1.0. The scripts make it easy to upgrade or convert to the latest version of Ubuntu Christian Edition.

This release is considered to be the base Ubuntu Christian Edition that will follow the development of Ubuntu. There are discussions going on about creating Add-on CDs.

You can check it out at www.ChristianUbuntu.com (http://www.christianubuntu.com).

win_zik
August 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Though I'm certainly not the target audience, I just wanted to say congrats to the release. Seems like a lot of work went into this project. Well done.

P.S.: Out of curiosity, did you get any feedback from the target audience yet or is the project still to new?

slakkie
August 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I'm also not the target audience, but congratz! Good luck with the project! (where can I checkout some screenshots of Ubuntu CE?).

mhancoc7
August 14th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Though I'm certainly not the target audience, I just wanted to say congrats to the release. Seems like a lot of work went into this project. Well done.

P.S.: Out of curiosity, did you get any feedback from the target audience yet or is the project still to new?

Thank you for your comments. It has been a lot of work, but I just love projects.

I have been getting feedback from many people. Lot's of supportful emails and such. I have also gotten a fair number of people requesting the ability to convert there existing Ubuntu to Ubuntu CE. I think that's cool!

I'm also not the target audience, but congratz! Good luck with the project! (where can I checkout some screenshots of Ubuntu CE?).

Thanks for your comments as well. You can check out some screenshots here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1371676&postcount=380

Thanks, Jereme

RAV TUX
August 14th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Thank you for your comments. It has been a lot of work, but I just love projects.

I have been getting feedback from many people. Lot's of supportful emails and such. I have also gotten a fair number of people requesting the ability to convert there existing Ubuntu to Ubuntu CE. I think that's cool!

Thanks for your comments as well. You can check out some screenshots here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1371676&postcount=380

Thanks, Jereme

Jereme,

Simply Awesome! I wish for you all the best with your project. Glad to hear all your hardwork has paid off:p

Did you submit your project to Distrowatch, yet? This will give you incredible coverage.

Jozef

Josh Kurtz
August 14th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Congrats! I'll pass it along to many people I know who are indeed in your target audience.:)

win_zik
August 14th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Sounds great! :D

mhancoc7
August 15th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Jereme,

Simply Awesome! I wish for you all the best with your project. Glad to hear all your hardwork has paid off:p

Did you submit your project to Distrowatch, yet? This will give you incredible coverage.

Jozef

Thanks!

Yes Ubuntu CE is officially on the waiting list at DistroWatch!!

Jereme

Iandefor
August 17th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Woot! Congrats!

angrykeyboarder
August 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Like I said on Digg....

I think I'm going to do something equally bizzare and start Pagan Ubuntu, or maybe a whole new distro.. LuciferLinux™.

Either would be as absurd as "Christan Ubuntu".

Gotta love that GPL!

<ducking>

mhancoc7
August 19th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Like I said on Digg....

I think I'm going to do something equally bizzare and start Pagan Ubuntu, or maybe a whole new distro.. LuciferLinux™.

Either would be as absurd as "Christan Ubuntu".

Gotta love that GPL!

<ducking>

Well, if you think there is a need or market for it then go for it.

There is no need for you to be a jerk though.

Jereme

loserboy
August 21st, 2006, 08:27 PM
hey congrats, I think ill get my mom setup with this soon.
in the meantime though i thought i would ask: my mom really likes gnomesword that i installed for her, but all i did was get it from the add/remove, i don't really know how to work it as far as modules and such, i tried there site but it wasnt the most helpful, anything you could tell me? thanks

LaserJock
August 21st, 2006, 11:12 PM
there are some common modules already in Ubuntu. If you have the Universe repository enabled do a search for sword and there should be several sword- packages. The next Ubuntu release should have even more too.

-LaserJock

loserboy
August 21st, 2006, 11:31 PM
cool, thanks i'll do that next time i go to my moms.
when i download them will it automatically load them?

gruntu
August 22nd, 2006, 12:59 AM
Impressive! I gaurantee this will be a hot Distro. It would be awesome if you had a script or an easy explanation on how to use it as a local proxy. Sorry if you already explained this.:D

gruntu
August 22nd, 2006, 01:39 AM
I guess I should have dug a litter further before I embarrassed myself. If anyone ou there is as lazy as I am and wants to use this awesome distro as a local proxy just turn off the firewall (firehol) and use the pc's IP and port 8080 and whala!

If anyone out there knows the command line for firehol to allow the local subnet to have access to port 8080 that would be great.

mhancoc7
August 22nd, 2006, 08:27 AM
cool, thanks i'll do that next time i go to my moms.
when i download them will it automatically load them?

Yes, they will be automatically loaded.

Impressive! I gaurantee this will be a hot Distro. It would be awesome if you had a script or an easy explanation on how to use it as a local proxy. Sorry if you already explained this.:D

I am not sure.

I guess I should have dug a litter further before I embarrassed myself. If anyone ou there is as lazy as I am and wants to use this awesome distro as a local proxy just turn off the firewall (firehol) and use the pc's IP and port 8080 and whala!

If anyone out there knows the command line for firehol to allow the local subnet to have access to port 8080 that would be great.

Thanks for letting me know what you found out. I am not sure about the firhol question.

God Bless, Jereme

insane_alien
August 22nd, 2006, 06:31 PM
hey maybe i can convert some of my jesus nut(i mean that in the nicest possible way) friends over to linux now. they always said it was evil.

oh btw, is the parental control thingy-muh-jig available for normal ubuntu? i could have some use of that.

mhancoc7
August 22nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
hey maybe i can convert some of my jesus nut(i mean that in the nicest possible way) friends over to linux now. they always said it was evil.

oh btw, is the parental control thingy-muh-jig available for normal ubuntu? i could have some use of that.

Yeah, it is funny how many people I have heard say that it is evil or or some other ridiculous thing like that.

Check this post out for the dansguardian "thingy-muh-jig". :)
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=237355&highlight=dansguardian+gui

Jereme

jperez
August 23rd, 2006, 02:18 AM
Glad you made this! My mother is more of a Christian than I am and this is perfect for her. She sends her blessing and I'll send mine. I'll definitely be installing this on her computer when she's able to use it again...long story.

Keep up the good work! We hope to see more work done on it.

Jesse~

EDIT
The link in your first post won't work. I want to download the distro. Do you have a working link? www.christianubuntu.com is taking me to www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com and it's telling me that it's down. Thanks again!

mhancoc7
August 23rd, 2006, 12:22 PM
Glad you made this! My mother is more of a Christian than I am and this is perfect for her. She sends her blessing and I'll send mine. I'll definitely be installing this on her computer when she's able to use it again...long story.

Keep up the good work! We hope to see more work done on it.

Jesse~

EDIT
The link in your first post won't work. I want to download the distro. Do you have a working link? www.christianubuntu.com (http://www.christianubuntu.com) is taking me to www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com (http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com) and it's telling me that it's down. Thanks again!

Thanks, and I am glad to hear that she will like it. I along with the great team of volunteers will continue to work on this as long as there is interest, and since I use it that will be for a very long time. :)

The link should work now. I must of had a server issue. The site is getting a lot more traffic than I have ever received so I am pushing things to there limit a bit. :)

God Bless, Jereme

Hg80
August 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Not a Christian myself but this is again another good project and will help promote Open source software and the Linux desktop
Congrats

mhancoc7
August 23rd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Not a Christian myself but this is again another good project and will help promote Open source software and the Linux desktop
Congrats

Thank you very much for seeing the potential in this project to promote OSS and Linux. :)

Jereme

RAV TUX
August 27th, 2006, 11:32 PM
moving this thread to the Ubuntu Christian Edition,....3rd party forum with a redirect.

etank
August 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I think that this project is an awesome idea and because of that I have run the convert script on my laptop to start using it.

I have one problem though. Once dansguardian and tinyproxy were on my system surfing the net became soooo slow. I had to remove those packages to make it fast again. I do like the frontend to the dansguardian configs though. That is a nice touch.

God bless.

mhancoc7
August 29th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I think that this project is an awesome idea and because of that I have run the convert script on my laptop to start using it.

I have one problem though. Once dansguardian and tinyproxy were on my system surfing the net became soooo slow. I had to remove those packages to make it fast again. I do like the frontend to the dansguardian configs though. That is a nice touch.

God bless.

Thanks for your kind words.

Dansguardian does slow things down a bit. We have had a few people report that the slow down was quite drastic which seems to be something with the DNS settings. This is going to be hard to really fix since it is a Dansguardian/Tinyproxy issue and only causes problems on some configurations.

God Bless, Jereme

Anonii
August 29th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Allow me to become the evil bastard of this thread, and say that this is really pointless. I know that if I wasnt interested I shouldnt have talked, but I cant resist, seeing how many people congratulate this project. If you did it for fun it would be all right, but well, reaching the point to make Christian Ubuntu merchandise and contacting Canonical is too-much... I wont start yet another pointless "The christian God exists?" flame war, but I will just say that the person who prefers to get a distro (lets call it side-project) just to get a Bible and some other Christian applications which he could easily get in the default Ubuntu is a fanatic. Normal Christians with a normal well-matured mind, would prefer to get the normal distro than something immature like a "Distro only for Christians" and not because of the bugs etc, but because of the lame (imo again) philosophy of it.
Finally, I would freaking love to see an Olympic Ubuntu for the 12 Gods of Ancient Greek, and a Cthubuntu for Cthulhu and the rest Elder Gods.

DISCLAIMER: This post was supposed to be good-intended critic, and I didnt create this post to harm the project or to make the creators "sad". If this post is that bad, and you want me to delete it, I would happily do it, me or a moderator. I'd also like to add that this is by no means an attempt to troll and flame. And I also have read the FAQ on your site, and the "Why to prefer Christian Ubuntu if you can install the applications in the nomral one" question.

Good Luck in the future with this project, many people seem to like it, and you shouldnt just stop, because of the opinions of some individuals. :3

PPAAUULL
August 29th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I am a Christian and I love using linux and I think this is great what you have done. I just want to wish you luck!!!

Paul

tht00
August 30th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Hmm... Have you thought of switching to a DVD format to avoid the 700meg limit?

Also, as far as I'm concerned, Bibletime (essentially KDE version of GnomeSword) is much better laid out and runs fine in Gnome, though, you'd have to get all the KDE dependencies (could be avoided by the DVD).

My $.02 anyway,
Best of luck!

montgoej
August 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM
This project is even bigger than I would have ever imagined. Searching for "Ubuntu CE"(with quotes) on google gets a whopping 224,000 results, wow! I noticed one small thing though, after upgrading with the install script, firefox asked how to open a php page a few time, but it's fixed itself now.
God bless,
Jordan Montgomery

glaalex
August 30th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I just installed Ubuntu CE today on my laptop and it is working fine
I just migratet Thunderbird etc.

Thanks for the good job

Alex from Heidelberg, Germany

thunderduck3141
August 30th, 2006, 10:48 PM
anoii
i am certian that you are saying this becuase it is Christian
i doubt you would object if it where latino ubuntu or jewish ubuntu or something like that
dicrimination against Christian must end and Christian Ubuntu is a step towards that goal

cleentrax
August 30th, 2006, 11:10 PM
anoii
i doubt you would object if it where latino ubuntu or jewish ubuntu or something like that
dicrimination against Christian must end

And it will, as soon as the last Christian is eaten by lions. ;)

deol
August 30th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Great Job! Happy to see this Distro. :KS

RockinRob2258
August 31st, 2006, 01:35 AM
Good luck y'all

Anonii
August 31st, 2006, 01:44 AM
anoii
dicrimination against Christian must end and Christian Ubuntu is a step towards that goal

Please...
You are talking about Christian Discrimination and you are comparing it with the Jewish Discrimination? Thats like comparing a megabyte with a gigabyte. And I'll call the problem you have, the Christian complex, because I dont think that my post showed any sign of Christian Discrimination (I hope anyway). I just pointed the fact that a christian distro is completely pointless and for pure Christian fanatics. I'm not an Atheist, and from my post I think I showed that I treat Christianity with respect (doing my best, anyway).
Finally, a latino linux is normal , and a jewish linux would be the same pointless as the christian one.

@cleentrax: You made me grin. >:3

mhancoc7
August 31st, 2006, 01:45 AM
Hmm... Have you thought of switching to a DVD format to avoid the 700meg limit?

Also, as far as I'm concerned, Bibletime (essentially KDE version of GnomeSword) is much better laid out and runs fine in Gnome, though, you'd have to get all the KDE dependencies (could be avoided by the DVD).

My $.02 anyway,
Best of luck!

I have thought of that, but I want to keep it to the 700mg size for now. The DVD option will remain on the list for future possibilities.

Yes I agree BibleTime is very nice. I have decided to stick with GnomeSword as the default. The next release is going to include the new Ubuntu Christian Edtion Installer which will allow users to easily install other Christian/Educational software including BibleTime. This will allow me to easily introduce new Linux users to more Christian/Educational programs without breaking the 700mb limit.

This project is even bigger than I would have ever imagined. Searching for "Ubuntu CE"(with quotes) on google gets a whopping 224,000 results, wow! I noticed one small thing though, after upgrading with the install script, firefox asked how to open a php page a few time, but it's fixed itself now.
God bless,
Jordan Montgomery

Yes, it is growing fast. Before this project started my sites received about 100 unique visitors a day. Now I am up to about 10000 unique visitors a day.

Thanks for letting me know about the issue with the upgrade script. I am working on new versions of the scripts that will come out with the next release. They will be more user friendly with error prompts and better error handling.

God Bless, Jereme

thunderduck3141
August 31st, 2006, 03:49 AM
well, where i live Christian dicrimination is rampent (cant spell)
the media hates us
the schools hate us
and the local goverment hates us
so i am sorry if i seem a little agressive
but you comment about comparisons, the gigs to megs thing...
Christians have suffered a great deal over the course of human history
like that comment about the lions, hahahahaha very funny, is it just as funny to say that jewish descrimination wont stop untill the last jew is thrown in the oven?
so either
A: dont use Christian Ubuntu and be quiet
B: use it and be a helpful contributor (once again, i cant spell)

psycosmyth
August 31st, 2006, 04:07 AM
well, where i live Christian dicrimination is rampent (cant spell)
the media hates us
the schools hate us
and the local goverment hates us
so i am sorry if i seem a little agressive
but you comment about comparisons, the gigs to megs thing...
Christians have suffered a great deal over the course of human history
like that comment about the lions, hahahahaha very funny, is it just as funny to say that jewish descrimination wont stop untill the last jew is thrown in the oven?
so either
A: dont use Christian Ubuntu and be quiet
B: use it and be a helpful contributor (once again, i cant spell)
Very well said. I don't believe this forum is a ground for negativity, in fact it is against it's policy. Funny how there has'nt been any Christians saying anything as vile as the prior comments, oh wait, maybe thats because we are tought to love others unconditionaly and forgive.;)

Good luck on this new distro! I think it's wonderful. I just instaled Gnomesword myself, I had a pdf version, argh.

As for there being a version for other religions....why not?

thunderduk, where do you live???:(

thunderduck3141
August 31st, 2006, 04:44 AM
new england, i cant give any more specifics

pdmtford65
December 22nd, 2007, 03:33 AM
is there a version of ubuntu CE out there that will work with gutsy gibbon?

mhancoc7
December 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM
is there a version of ubuntu CE out there that will work with gutsy gibbon?

I am still working on the Gutsy release. It has been delayed until after the new year.
God Bless, Jereme