PDA

View Full Version : FCEUltra keyboard configuration

SolidAndShade
April 1st, 2005, 10:00 AM
Hey everyone,

I just installed the fceu NES emulator and it works well, but I want to remap the control keys but can't figure out how. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

SolidAndShade

SolidAndShade
April 2nd, 2005, 05:50 PM
Well, I just found out a way to reconfigure the keys in fceu, although anyone who knows an easier method is welcome to speak up. In your home directory, there should be a hidden directory called .fceultra. Go in there and hex edit the file fceu98.cfg. The configuration data is stored in here. As of yet, I've only figured out how to change the directional buttons. Find part of the file that says "GamePadConfig." After this label, you should see the four letters whose keys are used to control the D-pad. My default keys are w, z, a and s, for up, down, left and right. I changed these to the easier-to-use w, s, a, and d. I'm still trying to find where the A and B button keys are defined. Hope this helps someone.

SolidAndShade

Jujimufu
April 4th, 2005, 03:38 AM
I can't FCEUltra to work at all. I tried starting it through run application by typing fceu - but nothing happens cept a system sound (like the click).

Then I tried running it in terminal and it gives me options. I typed fceu followed by the location of a game it says:

Starting FCE Ultra 0.98.12...
Loading /home/user/Crap/Megaman.nes...

Error opening "/home/user/Crap/Megaman.nes"!
--------------------

Megaman as an example game / I know this has nothing to do with keyboard configuring: But thought I'd just bring the problem to this thread instead of starting a new one. What do I need to do to get this working? ZSNES works great, but not this emulator... Thanks guys!

nukethewhale
April 12th, 2005, 07:46 PM
You can remap the control keys for the player 1 controller in FCEUltra by starting it up with the command

fceu -inputcfg gamepad1 romfile.nes
where romfile.nes is some ROM you want to play. You are then prompted to enter keys for the A, B and directional buttons and rapid fire A and B. To configure the player 2 control keys substitude gamepad2 for gamepad1 in the command above. When you do this, the keys you choose become default for FCEUltra and you don't have to repeat this every time you run it.

I have, however, only tried this on FCEUltra compiled from source on Fedora.

Synt4x_3rr0r
July 3rd, 2005, 07:27 AM
You can remap the control keys for the player 1 controller in FCEUltra by starting it up with the command

where romfile.nes is some ROM you want to play. You are then prompted to enter keys for the A, B and directional buttons and rapid fire A and B. To configure the player 2 control keys substitude gamepad2 for gamepad1 in the command above. When you do this, the keys you choose become default for FCEUltra and you don't have to repeat this every time you run it.

Thank you SOOO much. I've been looking for a solution for quite a while now :D and it totally works on Ubuntu too.

BoyOfDestiny
July 3rd, 2005, 08:51 AM
Has an easier input cfg (actually it's a little funny since u can do multiple devices at the same time, but easy), you'll have to compile and make debs though.

http://nintencer.fobby.net/

eddie303
January 28th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Hi!
Somebody knows why fceu ignores -xres, -yres and any other resolution-modifying commands?

punkrockguy318
June 13th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Well, I just found out a way to reconfigure the keys in fceu, although anyone who knows an easier method is welcome to speak up. In your home directory, there should be a hidden directory called .fceultra. Go in there and hex edit the file fceu98.cfg. The configuration data is stored in here. As of yet, I've only figured out how to change the directional buttons. Find part of the file that says "GamePadConfig." After this label, you should see the four letters whose keys are used to control the D-pad. My default keys are w, z, a and s, for up, down, left and right. I changed these to the easier-to-use w, s, a, and d. I'm still trying to find where the A and B button keys are defined. Hope this helps someone.

SolidAndShade
For an easier way to configure FCEU, you can use the new graphical frontend. For more info, check out this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=195413

RealG187
August 19th, 2008, 04:09 AM

How do I configure the keys for ALL roms?

punkrockguy318
August 20th, 2008, 04:04 AM
How do I configure the keys for ALL roms?

firstly you should use double dashes

but if you configure it for one it will configure it for all

all users and recommended to upgrade to 2.0.2; major overhaul http://fceux.com

RealG187
August 20th, 2008, 05:03 AM
but if you configure it for one it will configure it for all

Isnt that redundant? Why would it have an option to configure for one ROM if it configures for all?

I dont follow...

punkrockguy318
August 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Isnt that redundant? Why would it have an option to configure for one ROM if it configures for all?

I dont follow...

your not setting a config to a rom, your just setting the config. the romname can me /dev/null for all the emu cares it just needs a romname to parse

RealG187
August 20th, 2008, 06:09 PM
why does it need a rom name? What's it mean to parse?

punkrockguy318
August 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM
why does it need a rom name? What's it mean to parse?

it just needs one okay? plain and simple it needs a rom name or the emulator will **** out

use gfceu(x) if the command-line is over your head

RealG187
August 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I have kamefu as the gui

I know how to use the command line to so stuff like open files
I dont get why it would need a rom name

it just needs one okay? plain and simple it needs a rom name or the emulator will **** out
But why?

RealG187
August 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I have kamefu as the gui

But why?

punkrockguy318
August 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I have kamefu as the gui

But why?

what the hell fceu has another gui?

but the code is just written so a rom name is required because 9 times out of 10 your going starting fceu to play a rom file

RealG187
August 21st, 2008, 01:52 AM
what the hell fceu has another gui?
Kamefu is a frontend for all emulators. You get it to scan a folder for ROMs then enter in the emualtor command, for example under NES "fceu"