PDA

View Full Version : wat kind of television do you watch?

NESFreak
July 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM
just wondering. Are we the linux users technofreaks that also have the latest tech when it comes to watchin tv? Here in europe things like HD tv and stuff are just comming up.

fuscia
July 28th, 2006, 02:11 PM
we have a toshiba. the screen is flat, but that's all i know about it. the picture is really pretty, but i guess that's not your typical gadget freak observation (i'm just an end user anyway).

T700
July 28th, 2006, 02:12 PM
We've got a TV in the living room and I think my wife watches the National Geographic channel sometimes. I haven't watched it in several months.

Paul

aeiah
July 28th, 2006, 02:47 PM
i download documentaries from uknova.com, and thats about it really. i plugged in my cheap tv box into my monitor the other week because i was doing some hefty repartitioning stuff on my pc. but i couldnt even vote for that option on the poll because it'd be 16:9 (16:10) analog antenna :p

bluenova
July 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM
When I was living in England it was of cause digital (analogue is being shutdown starting next year, as everyone has digital now) but now I live in Belgium I have to watch analogue as they have only just bought out digital so it's very expensive.

arsenic23
July 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I've recently thrown my TV out. And I tell you what, the only thing I'm going to miss is the History channel. It's cheaper for me to just buy the box sets of shows I'd want to watch.

aeiah
July 28th, 2006, 03:46 PM
When I was living in England it was of cause digital (analogue is being shutdown starting next year, as everyone has digital now) but now I live in Belgium I have to watch analogue as they have only just bought out digital so it's very expensive.

are you marty mcfly? they're starting to phase out analog in 2008 here in the uk, with a total switch by 2012.

i dont even have digital terrestrial in my area yet :( which is rather crap. its available 5 minutes up the road though :mad:

augied
July 28th, 2006, 05:08 PM
We have a 25 year old tv which was just about the biggest on the market when my parents bought it and is still a decent size today (27" 4:3). In the last 2-3 years it has started to slowly die. It now takes up to 30 seconds to warm up. We may finally replace it in the next few months. We will never be getting cable until you can choose only the channels you actually want (I think there's an antitrust suit going on involving this.)

cstudent
July 28th, 2006, 05:10 PM
We have DirecTV. I know it's digital. Our TV is an RCA 27" that we've had for quite a few years. I'm waiting for it to completely crap out before I buy a new one. I don't know about the 4:3 16:9, I'm assuming 4:3 since we don't have wide screen. The only other thing I know about it is I spend too much on it each month.

BigDave708
July 28th, 2006, 05:32 PM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l282/bigdave708/bunnypancake-1.jpg

](*,)

All I know is that we've got Sky Digital, it has a few good channels on it, the rest being crap, and we get ripped off for it. We watch it on a flat, grey thing bolted to the wall, and its flat and has moving pictures on it and occasionally sound through the speakers either side of the moving picture.

All that HDTV stuff is only just appearing in England now, with Sky trying to make money off it, no doubt at astronomical prices . . .

Biltong (Dee)
July 28th, 2006, 05:48 PM
We pay an absolute fortune for satellite TV, but then again, if you knew what cr#p we get dished up on South African TV you would understand why. :rolleyes:

chickengirl
July 28th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I have a 14" TV with cable.

By the way, where's the option for analog antenna 4:3 color?

ZylGadis
July 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I'd like to ask a different question:

Where is the option "I don't watch TV because it makes me a stupid conformist?" Or "I don't watch TV, no matter the reason?"

RAV TUX
July 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/5085/notvsr3.jpg

I haven't owned a TV for over 10 years, and I don't have a TV tuner on any of the 3 computers My Wife and I use.

DoktorSeven
July 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I watch very little TV. I have a decent regular ol' analog 4:3 TV (mostly used for game consoles and a few DVDs) and don't intend to switch.

Yossarian
July 28th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I have the square kind.

NESFreak
July 28th, 2006, 08:12 PM
By the way, where's the option for analog antenna 4:3 color?

first there wasn't b&w behind it, but when i found out that after adding b&w i didn't add one whithout b&w, while it was impossible change it for i had already posted it. Sorry for that, well there is always the 'other' option. Here in the netherlands i believe the government stops broadcasting analog aired television in the night of 29 to 30 oktober 2006.

http://www.minocw.nl/factsheets/501 (dutch!)
74.000 dutch homes these day's only have analog antenna.
92.000 holiday people are watching it on for instance a camping.
56.000 homes use analog antenna for their second or third tv.
-------- +
222.000 families watching analog antenna. That is 222.000 of 7.000.000 households. Only to save 11.000.000 euro's. (then don't pump such a huge amount of money in Bush his wargames!! JP) This means the netherlands wil become the first country with no FREE television at all. While at the moment the only nationwide digital service is satalite. Services form local digital providers like digitenne don't cover the whole country especialy not the country side while it is there that there are the moast people only watching analog ether.

btw we have analog and digital cable (witch is severly sufering compresion artefacts). 3 'normal' 4:3 crt tv's and one 720p50 92cm lcd tv.

Cyraxzz
July 28th, 2006, 08:23 PM
my Bittornet client replaced my TV

bvc
July 28th, 2006, 08:27 PM
other=I don't have one....very bad for you
blow it up :p

Skia_42
July 28th, 2006, 08:30 PM
The TV at my house is a TV, i am not famliar with any specifics. I have not watched tv since the final game of the world cup. I don't watch tv to often, my computer took it's place.

fluffington
July 28th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I don't watch TV. The only reason I own one is so I can plug my PS2 into it.

cstudent
July 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I'd like to ask a different question:

Where is the option "I don't watch TV because it makes me a stupid conformist?" Or "I don't watch TV, no matter the reason?"

How can you stand to miss such quality TV shows as Big Brother, So you think you can dance?, America's got talent and Fear Factor? (I'm joking of course)

All I can say is thank goodness for TVLand. I can watch Andy Griffith or The Beverly Hillbillies for the umptinth time and still find it funny.

G Morgan
July 28th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Personally I have a 30 inch 16:9 via analogue cable though I have SKY+. This means that I rarely watch what everybody else in Britain is watching and I go to pubs only to find that everyone is talking about the stuff I never see (no Big Bore ever thank god). SKY with its 1000 channels usually has at least 1 good program on though I have to admit that BBC put out much more quality TV per pound spent than SKY could ever dream of. It's just a pity that as a news source BBC have become about as neutral as G. W. Bush.

Boomy
July 28th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I have an old Mitsubishi 25" I got at Salvation Army for $40. I spend more time on the net than I do in front of the TV. I like to watch King of the Hill with dinner and that's about it.

mips
July 29th, 2006, 01:08 AM
We pay an absolute fortune for satellite TV, but then again, if you knew what cr#p we get dished up on South African TV you would understand why. :rolleyes:

Yeah we do. There are a 'few' good channels though. Nothing wrong with cracking Irdeto though ;)