PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with libel action against a forum (?)

Thenotsowyzewun
July 26th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Hi,

This isn't about these forums, but this is the most relevant section I think.
Ubuntu Forums is of comparable size and scale as forums.moneysavingexpert.co.uk.
However MoneySavingExpert is constantly under attack by big companies launching libel cases against it, because the community sections (MoneySaving Arms and Discussion Time) have members who constantly bicker and infight and basically are slanderous.
At current there's no disclaimer on the forum (that I can see) which probably doesn't help, I was thinking something similiar to what big companies like IBM and the Government stick on the end of every email to protect them from libel, e.g.

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in anyway.

Obviously changed to be relevant.

Have Ubuntu Forums had legal threats in the past and if so how have they dealt with them; are there any particular things a forum can do to protect itself against such legal threats?

Duncan

P.S: I don't work for or have any affiliations with MoneySavingExpert, and the opinions construed here are purely my own and not necessarily based on fact, nor are they the opinions of anyone but myself ;).

If you'd like to sue me for something I've written here, my lawyers address is 1 The Grotto, Lapland, Iceland, The Top of the World ;).

matthew
July 26th, 2006, 04:35 PM
This isn't about these forums, but this is the most relevant section I think.You were close. Forums Discussion is for discussion about these forums. I'll move this to the cafe.

mips
July 26th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Well seeing these are private forums and USA based you are pretty screwed.