PDA

View Full Version : Well, that's life.

FredB
July 26th, 2006, 02:06 PM
And it will be my last post on this forum.

I am leaving Ubuntu because I felt in love with... FreeBSD 6.1.

I want to thank every Ubuntu coders, and tell them thank you for Dapper. Now, my computer life will be FreeBSD centered.

As we say in french : "la vie doit continuer", "life must go on".

slimdog360
July 26th, 2006, 02:11 PM
byebye, we will always have the memories lalalala

can I ask what you like about it, Ive never used it and have wanted to give it a try for a while

matthew
July 26th, 2006, 02:15 PM
FreeBSD is nice. I wish you luck and happiness.

mips
July 26th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I just wish I could install it on my pc. Keep on getting disk/partion geometry and boundry errors with the free/pc/open-bsd versions.

richbarna
July 26th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I just wish I could install it on my pc. Keep on getting disk/partion geometry and boundry errors with the free/pc/open-bsd versions.

Like windows freebsd has to be in it's own "special" partition, I found out the hard way when I installed it into an "extended" partition.

FredB: You can still come back and post in the "Other Linux" section ;)
It's full of "Distro-Junkies" :)

mips
July 26th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Like windows freebsd has to be in it's own "special" partition, I found out the hard way when I installed it into an "extended" partition.

Yes thanks, well aware of that. Figured that part out while reading the excellent documentation before trying to install it. Only reason I read the doc's is because I did not want to ask stupid questions in a bsd forum, the folk are helpfull but slightly less tolerant ;)

I suspect the problem might have something to do with my sata controller/drives. When I have a moment I will install a ATA drive and see if that works out better which I suspect it will.

loell
July 26th, 2006, 03:18 PM
just remember that you're always welcome here in the community whenever you decide to come back :)

tseliot
July 26th, 2006, 03:24 PM

I have the same problem :(

hellmet
July 26th, 2006, 05:50 PM
never say its the last post..coz u never know when
u wud have to come back for something..

mips
July 26th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I have the same problem :(

I'll probably install the ATA drive on the weekend and let you know how it goes.

btw, what happened to bsdfreak ?

matthew
July 26th, 2006, 09:06 PM
btw, what happened to bsdfreak ?He was banned for repeated violations of the forum policy regarding treating people with respect. Take a look at his last several posts from the link in his profile page.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=60978

richbarna
July 26th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Yes thanks, well aware of that. Figured that part out while reading the excellent documentation before trying to install it. Only reason I read the doc's is because I did not want to ask stupid questions in a bsd forum, the folk are helpfull but slightly less tolerant ;)

Just a suggestion, I read up too. I felt a bit intimidated by the FreeBsd crowd, they were discussing a hell of a lot of stuff that was way beyond me. I got freebsd working on ATA by the way. I have never tried anything with SATA so I don't know if that's the problem.

I know that there are some SATA controllers supported :-
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.1R/hardware-i386.html#SUPPORT

tseliot
July 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I'll probably install the ATA drive on the weekend and let you know how it goes.
Mine is an ATA drive :(

Iandefor
July 26th, 2006, 09:57 PM
*Waves*

He'll be back ;).

mips
July 26th, 2006, 10:01 PM
He was banned for repeated violations of the forum policy regarding treating people with respect. Take a look at his last several posts from the link in his profile page.

Ok, thanks. I shared some nice PM's with him and he was very helpfull when I asked him about bsd related stuff. Did'nt know.

jordilin
July 26th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Won't you miss the Ubuntu Forums community? In any case, good luck with FreeBSD, it is a pure Unix OS, surely as powerful as Linux, although I will always stay with Linux :mrgreen:

mips
July 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Mine is an ATA drive :(

tseliot,

lol, that does not instill a lot of faith in my venture with the ATA drive :smile:

matthew
July 26th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Ok, thanks. I shared some nice PM's with him and he was very helpfull when I asked him about bsd related stuff. Did'nt know.Yeah, it's too bad. He's incredibly knowledgable and could be a real asset.

mips
July 26th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah, it's too bad. He's incredibly knowledgable and could be a real asset.

Agreed.

tseliot
July 26th, 2006, 11:56 PM
tseliot,

lol, that does not instill a lot of faith in my venture with the ATA drive :smile:

A solution can be that of typing your hard disk geometry manually. You can see the geometry in your BIOS or in Gparted.

I don't want to try it any more though.

Derek Djons
July 27th, 2006, 12:09 AM
He was banned for repeated violations of the forum policy regarding treating people with respect. Take a look at his last several posts from the link in his profile page.

Too bad for him.