PDA

View Full Version : Quanta! How I love you so!

Zeroangel
July 23rd, 2006, 03:23 AM
I've used dozens of editors including the best of the best (Bluefish, CuteHTML, Arachnophilia 4, Notetab, Crimson, 1st Page 2000 and many others) none have ever been able to match the user friendliness and functionality of Allaire Homesite which to me has been the undisputed king of HTML editors (and is now unavailable, unfortunately).

Until now.

I've been using Quanta for the past two weeks to develop dynamic (PHP) websites on my local server, than uploading them to the web server.

The way that it used to work is that if I wanted to preview a page, I would have to save the document, fire up a web browser, then go to http://localhost/sitename/documentname.php , edit, save, refresh. Sure other editors offer server mappings and instant previews, but they often make you save the document first and it is usually fired up in a separate browser rather than inline. Other than homesite, quanta is the only other editor that I know that pulls off inline LIVE previews flawlessly.

Project Management, WOW! I used the wizard to set up a project, edited that project's FTP server, then used the project manager to upload the entire project to the web. Now all I have to do when I edit a file is right click on the project manager pane, select the 'quick upload' option, and the edited page is uploaded in less than 5 seconds.

Everything else works just the way I want it to.

THANK YOU to everyone who is involved in making Quanta such a great editor, I have no gripes with your program so far, and the past two weeks have been so smooth for this web designer thanks to your efforts. :KS

richbarna
July 23rd, 2006, 03:31 AM
The way that it used to work is that if I wanted to preview a page, I would have to save the document, fire up a web browser, then go to http://localhost/sitename/documentname.php , edit, save, refresh. Sure other editors offer server mappings and instant previews, but they often make you save the document first and it is usually fired up in a separate browser rather than inline. Other than homesite, quanta is the only other editor that I know that pulls off inline LIVE previews flawlessly.

Now that sounds very interesting. I was using html for my web as I couldn't be bothered with the PHP viewing hassle. I never thought of Quanta. A couple of my friends swear by php, but I'm an amateur with web design. I think you may have just found me a solution.

Thanks a lot :)