PDA

View Full Version : Updated Human Theme!

basse1989
March 25th, 2005, 11:28 PM
What do you guys think of the update to the Human theme?
I've got to say that I LOVE the change.
Finally the brighter field around the username/password box in GDM fints in.
And the window borders are better than ever. :)
But the new gnome splash feels a little bit to "brushed metal" for me...
It's a nice step in an ever nicer direction. :)

Tsjoklat
March 26th, 2005, 12:43 AM
I am in total awe :) It is fantastic, I can't stop looking at it hehe.. who would have thought that one could get so lyric of such a silly thing as a theme :P

Buffalo Soldier
March 26th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Using Clearlooks-DeepSky. Really like what the developers are doing with the Human and Clearlooks theme

I agree with basse1989. The new gnome splash feels a little bit too "brushed metal". Very minor issue :)

But generally, I love the new themes.

totalshredder
March 26th, 2005, 01:31 AM
What exactly are you people talking about? I'm completely upgraded and I'm not seeing anything different :-? I personally can't stand that bright square around the username box.

Maybe I'm seeing the new one though, oh well :-)

Buffalo Soldier
March 26th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Are you running on Warty or Hoary?

ubuntu-geek
March 26th, 2005, 01:50 AM
I really like the new artwork..

macewan
March 26th, 2005, 02:07 AM
can anyone provide link(s) to shots of these changes?

arctic
March 26th, 2005, 02:27 AM
it looks very polished. the gdm is similar to the warty version, so the recognition factor is high. the splash-screen looks nice and the human theme (clearlooks) looks so professional with the new wallpaper that it really challenges osx imho.

Glanz
March 26th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Very sharp! Very modern.I noticed a quicker loading for the GDM login and the splash. It is about twice as fast for some reason.

dcraven
March 26th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I gotta say I like most of the new artwork too. I think I see changes in the icons, and I like those. I did however like the old, flat-looking Metacity theme although I'm sure I'll eventually get used to this. I've always had a thing for flat themes :). Aside from that, the gdm theme looks great, but I think the clickable fonts should be a little larger.

Nice job!
~djc

Gnobody
March 26th, 2005, 06:11 PM
The gnome splash screen could use some more work. The text looks like it is in the wrong spot.

malmjako
March 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM
I liked the previous flat window decorations better. They didn't draw as much attention, especially when unfocused.

Where can I get a hold of the previous ones?

panickedthumb
March 26th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Now here's my question.

They've updated EVERYTHING imaginable as far as artwork goes (except the icons, which I hope to see updated before final), but I'm wondering, when are they going to replace the crappy default xcursors? I loved the Warty mouse cursors, and I was expecting them back long before now.

basse1989
March 26th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Now here's my question.

They've updated EVERYTHING imaginable as far as artwork goes (except the icons, which I hope to see updated before final), but I'm wondering, when are they going to replace the crappy default xcursors? I loved the Warty mouse cursors, and I was expecting them back long before now.
Hey, they aren't that crappy. They are way better than, f.e. the cursor in windows. But still I'm on your side, I really liked the warty ones. They'll probably be back soon tough, so don't worry. :)

Mike Douglas
March 27th, 2005, 01:14 AM
What about the Ubuntu cursor on gnome-look? That looks great with the new artwork.

bvc
March 27th, 2005, 01:20 AM
I gotta say I like most of the new artwork too. I think I see changes in the icons, and I like those.
~djc
now if we can just get rid of the blue, it would be more 'Human'.

[EDIT] oh....and stock, at least navigation, icons would be nice now that they work from the new $THEME/scalable/gtk dir and do not have to be applied with an iconrc from a gtk theme.

artnay
March 27th, 2005, 01:34 AM
I tried the new Human Theme just out of curiousity. Wow, really nice change compared to the older Human Theme. Now you can rest your eyes on the windows as they are browner and have more deepness. Maybe the corners should be round by default, the brown colour just loves round shapes.

As said before, the icon set should be replaced before Hoary gets released. Suede icon set has really nice directory icon, it fits perfectly to Human Theme. Maybe there's some negative aspects in Suede that I'm not aware of, please enlighten me on this one.

Bravo! =D>

punkass
March 27th, 2005, 02:57 AM
I agree there.

The gnome splash screen could use some more work. The text looks like it is in the wrong spot.
I also agree with this.

And just to be extra picky about it.
The window top has kind of a round-flat-round gradient to it, I think it should just be a smooth roundish gradient instead.

Other than that I think it looks great.

Oh and like most I would like to see updated icons and the old cursors back.

bvc
March 27th, 2005, 04:09 AM
As said before, the icon set should be replaced before Hoary gets released. Suede icon set has really nice directory icon, it fits perfectly to Human Theme. Maybe there's some negative aspects in Suede that I'm not aware of, please enlighten me on this one.

Bravo! =D>
square? >...doesn't go with anything else 'Ubuntu'.

bvc
March 27th, 2005, 07:27 AM
now if we can just get rid of the blue, it would be more 'Human'.
http://home.houston.rr.com/bvc/human.png
ignore the left side of the Computer and Display icons. They got wacked out at import and I failed to fix them

Now that the trash has been changed to green, the drawer already was, and I d/k if gnome-sytem monitor was but it is now, I just don't understand all the blue with all the brown. How about some Ubuntu color?
Clearlooks-OliveM (http://home.houston.rr.com/bvc/Clearlooks-OliveM.jpg)

panickedthumb
March 27th, 2005, 07:51 AM
what icon theme is that? It's human.png, but these icons aren't showing up for me when I use human.

That said, shouldn't the globe still be blue? I mean, the ocean IS blue.

bvc
March 27th, 2005, 10:48 AM
what icon theme is that? It's human.png, but these icons aren't showing up for me when I use human.

That said, shouldn't the globe still be blue? I mean, the ocean IS blue.
Oh no! You're right! ...but, in the Human theme the water is blue and the land is white. I guess we all live on ice? How about the gnome default firefox icon? We live on water! I've never seen a blue monitor b4....have you? How is that wine class balancing? The folders are fatter than the content they could possibly hold, not to mention round. Ever see a folder like that? How about the arrow for a home? ...and hey how about the attempt at reflection and glare? You got round windows at your house? Same with the trash. Oh, and very few use pencils at their desk?. ;-) :lol:

Man, lighten up! They're just unrealistic icons, any way you cut it. The least they should do is fall in line with the scheme :-D That's my point but it doesn't matter to me, although I may actually use these now #-o

bvc
March 27th, 2005, 11:03 AM
BTW: I'm really not trying to step on anyones toes. I've just never understood where these were going. Each release has just a few changes but an art team is working on them? Better than no changes for sure but the Human gtk/metacity and gnome icons are the default? Why not Human everything? Because it's incomplete? They follow the gnome icon theme colors very well, no? So it can't be because it is incomplete. Is it because they are not 'Human'? Is it because they are svg and look bad in the menus? What?

I wish someone would shed light on it but it seems no one will speak up.

[edited spelling]

Spark*
March 27th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I tried the new Human Theme just out of curiousity. Wow, really nice change compared to the older Human Theme. Now you can rest your eyes on the windows as they are browner and have more deepness. Maybe the corners should be round by default, the brown colour just loves round shapes.
The corners are round in the original Clearlooks theme, so if you like it, just chose that one under "Window Border", it should be installed already. :)

dcraven
March 27th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I would use those icons in a second bvc. If only I could locate a tarball... 8-[

Cheers,
~djc

artnay
March 27th, 2005, 03:54 PM
The corners are round in the original Clearlooks theme, so if you like it, just chose that one under "Window Border", it should be installed already. :)

Yeah, I know that. I was just suggesting that maybe the round shapes could be on by default, although that would need some anti-antialiasing to make the corners look pretty. Anyways, as you said, it's easy to change.

Still the default look has to be clear and easy to use, because there's lots of people who just let those things be as they are by default (well, usually people using Linux are more tech-orinted than people using Windows). I mean, I've seen lots of people using the default Win XP Blue theme, and I've asked do they really like the colours etc. Some of them didn't even know it's possible to change the theme... 8-[

Alessio
March 27th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I know that. I was just suggesting that maybe the round shapes could be on by default, although that would need some anti-antialiasing to make the corners look pretty. Anyways, as you said, it's easy to change.

Still the default look has to be clear and easy to use, because there's lots of people who just let those things be as they are by default (well, usually people using Linux are more tech-orinted than people using Windows). I mean, I've seen lots of people using the default Win XP Blue theme, and I've asked do they really like the colours etc. Some of them didn't even know it's possible to change the theme... 8-[
great theme!!!! Very nice! I don't like the icons

Alessio
March 27th, 2005, 04:11 PM
http://home.houston.rr.com/bvc/human.png
ignore the left side of the Computer and Display icons. They got wacked out at import and I failed to fix them

Now that the trash has been changed to green, the drawer already was, and I d/k if gnome-sytem monitor was but it is now, I just don't understand all the blue with all the brown. How about some Ubuntu color?
Clearlooks-4Humans (http://home.houston.rr.com/bvc/Clearlooks-4Humans.jpg)
Uh great icons, where can i found them?

andrewski
March 27th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Now here's my question.

See https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7715

panickedthumb
March 27th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Oh no! You're right! ...but, in the Human theme the water is blue and the land is white. I guess we all live on ice? How about the gnome default firefox icon? We live on water! I've never seen a blue monitor b4....have you? How is that wine class balancing? The folders are fatter than the content they could possibly hold, not to mention round. Ever see a folder like that? How about the arrow for a home? ...and hey how about the attempt at reflection and glare? You got round windows at your house? Same with the trash. Oh, and very few use pencils at their desk?. ;-) :lol:

Man, lighten up! They're just unrealistic icons, any way you cut it. The least they should do is fall in line with the scheme :-D That's my point but it doesn't matter to me, although I may actually use these now #-o
Jesus, calm down, I was joking! *L*
I know that there's major artistic license when it comes to everything. The one thing that sticks out about that png you posted was the brown/green earth, and I just made a little joke about it.

But you never did answer my question-- where did you get those icons, or did you make them?

bvc
March 27th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Jesus, calm down, I was joking! *L*
I know that there's major artistic license when it comes to everything. The one thing that sticks out about that png you posted was the brown/green earth, and I just made a little joke about it.

But you never did answer my question-- where did you get those icons, or did you make them?I'm not Jesus ;)

Human is GPL, or at least it should be based on an email I've received 6 months ago concerning Gnoppix/Ubuntu artwork. There's no actual indication though in the Human Icon Theme. Etiquette is under the Creative Commons License.

Your a mod...if it were a joke where was the emoticon? Your capitalization of IS implied differently.

They are just some of the simple color mods of Human I did. Open the ubuntu.svg logo to get your colors. Took me a little over an hour to decide which color/recolor, add a few emblems, and make the gtk dir with the temp lila navigation icons. I may make my own stock navigation icons.

malmjako
March 27th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Does anyone know how to get the previous window decorations back? I liked the flat looking title bar better.

bvc
March 27th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Does anyone know how to get the previous window decorations back? I liked the flat looking title bar better.
here's some alternatives
http://art.gnome.org/themes/metacity/5/
http://gnome-look.org/content/m1/m16422-1.png

or go here
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/u/ubuntu-artwork/
and download
ubuntu-artwork_0.2.14-1_all.deb
to it's own directory and from nautilus while in that new directory open it with file-roller (just click on it).

Drag data.tar.gz from file-roller to nautilus and click on data.tar.gz and tell it to extract. You'll end up with a usr directory in the newly created directory you made for the .deb.

Now, if you want to replace the current Human metacity, just put the newly extract usr/share/themes/Human/metacity-1 directory in the system
/usr/share/themes/Human

bvc
March 28th, 2005, 12:51 AM
BTW: the gnome-system-monitor.svg has the wrong name and should be gnome-monitor.svg ;-) Then it'll work.

bored2k
March 28th, 2005, 01:12 AM
BTW: the gnome-system-monitor.svg has the wrong name and should be gnome-monitor.svg ;-) Then it'll work.
grr this thread is making me want to go back to Hoary, again :-/ .

bvc
March 28th, 2005, 02:18 AM
grr this thread is making me want to go back to Hoary, again :-/ .
that mistake IS in hoary's Human Icon Theme

malmjako
March 28th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks bvc! Your ideas helped me understand that it was actually the ClearLooks-0.4 metacity window decoration theme that I was looking for. I extracted it from http://metallikop.com/ubuntu/gtk2-engines-clearlooks_0.4-0ubuntu2_i386.deb, and I now have nice flat (a bit Panther-like) title bars on my windows:
http://www.dd.chalmers.se/~malmjako/Clearlooks-0.4.png

basse1989
March 29th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I don't know if someone have posted about this already, but as you updaters should have noticed the cursors are back. WIIIEEE!

IdoMcFly
March 29th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I prefer the old Human window border. Anyway to get it back?

bvc
March 29th, 2005, 05:53 PM
ummm..read mine and malmjako's post above?

IdoMcFly
March 29th, 2005, 06:31 PM
ummm..read mine and malmjako's post above?

:oops:

panickedthumb
March 30th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Your capitalization of IS implied differently.

Hmm. I thought the capitalization of IS was what made it stick out as a joke ;)
Anyway, sorry for the confusion.

But next question for you bvc-- are you hosting those icons anywhere else? They're fantastic.

bvc
March 30th, 2005, 02:40 AM
it's cool! ...no biggy!

No, I'm not...at this time. I have mixed feeling about doing so. As I said, I do not want to step on anyones toes. There is no clarification to what lisence the Human icons are under. I only know what I was told in an email by devel what license my art, if I were to create anything, should be under and that was gpl. Thx for the interest. That said, I also don't care to email them to 100 ppl either. I might as well put them up for everyone to download if I was willing to do that. I'm 'attempting' to look into a few things but too often devel roads lead to dead ends. If anything changes I'll be sure to post here.

panickedthumb
March 30th, 2005, 04:17 AM
They almost have to be GPL, since they're based on Etiquette themselves. Or is it Exquisite? I always get them confused.

bvc
March 30th, 2005, 06:40 AM
etiquette is under the Creative Commons License

angrykeyboarder
March 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM
What do you guys think of the update to the Human theme?
I've got to say that I LOVE the change.
Finally the brighter field around the username/password box in GDM fints in.
And the window borders are better than ever. :)
It's a nice step in an ever nicer direction. :)

I'm new to Ubuntu and have been playing the the Horary Live CD. Personally I'm not fond of brown therefore I didn't hesitate to change the theme ASAP.

However, I never seem to be fond of any Linux distro's default so what else is new?

dude2425
April 1st, 2005, 06:25 AM
Splash was updated. /usr/share/pixmaps/splash/ubuntu-sparkles.png
It's a lot better than the polished-metel one, but I personaly don't see myself using it anytime soon.

They also reverted to the old metacity theme again. I don't see why though, clearlooks' metacity theme looks perfect IMHO. I hope the metacity thing was just a little accident.

NeoChaosX
April 1st, 2005, 06:50 AM
There's also a new version of the default GDM theme. Nice work, it's really great. :smile:

dude2425
April 1st, 2005, 07:07 AM
lol, I didn't even notice that. I don't use any defaults other than the gnome icons. I've also noticed that the little icon for the update thing in my little notification area has changed. Looks much better now.

mayco
April 1st, 2005, 10:25 AM
Splash was updated. /usr/share/pixmaps/splash/ubuntu-sparkles.png
It's a lot better than the polished-metel one, but I personaly don't see myself using it anytime soon.

They also reverted to the old metacity theme again. I don't see why though, clearlooks' metacity theme looks perfect IMHO. I hope the metacity thing was just a little accident.

well, i guess (and hope!) the metacity-change is just a april 1-joke... and that tomorrow, we all get another ubuntu-artwork update that fixes this :)

edit: changelog: "... and fixes to date related issues", yeah, tomorrow, everything will be better :)

dude2425
April 2nd, 2005, 07:37 AM
Just upgraded, got the orriginal GDM theme back, but still no nice clearlooks metacity borders on the human theme.

sanjeevdas
April 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Just upgraded, got the orriginal GDM theme back, but still no nice clearlooks metacity borders on the human theme.

Hope the change is not permanent and was really part of the April Fool's joke.

dusu
April 2nd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Hope the change is not permanent and was really part of the April Fool's joke.

I also hope so !
Can any one tell us about this ? thx.

kassetra
April 2nd, 2005, 08:01 PM

Most likely they reverted the metacity theme because the new one was just not "production ready" yet... The old one is tested, tried and true.

It makes a big difference when you release a new "stable" version - you try to make the best mix of new stuff and stable stuff... and this may be one of those cases where stable wins over new.

After all, can't have the metacity theme suck up 90% of a user's ram... heh. :)

mayco
April 2nd, 2005, 11:12 PM
Most likely they reverted the metacity theme because the new one was just not "production ready" yet... The old one is tested, tried and true.

It makes a big difference when you release a new "stable" version - you try to make the best mix of new stuff and stable stuff... and this may be one of those cases where stable wins over new.

After all, can't have the metacity theme suck up 90% of a user's ram... heh. :)
you are absolutly right about that, but afaik the metactity-theme was stable...

kassetra
April 2nd, 2005, 11:31 PM
you are absolutly right about that, but afaik the metactity-theme was stable...

but maybe not stable with some of the other core libraries, maybe some of the other apps, etc.

bvc
April 3rd, 2005, 12:02 AM
metacity is metacity

with a pure metacity theme, bad code may slightly decrease it's speed, and I guess possibly a little more memory, but neither enough to warrant exclusion, that I've ever seen. I'd guess it's because the square borders didn't fit the rounded buttons, and they didn't. If square borders is what they want, the simple solution is to make the buttons square. Then it doesn't go with the clearlooks engine IMO, so, who knows what they're up to.

Psquared
April 3rd, 2005, 12:05 AM
here's some alternatives
http://art.gnome.org/themes/metacity/5/
http://gnome-look.org/content/m1/m16422-1.png

or go here
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/u/ubuntu-artwork/
and download
ubuntu-artwork_0.2.14-1_all.deb
to it's own directory and from nautilus while in that new directory open it with file-roller (just click on it).

Drag data.tar.gz from file-roller to nautilus and click on data.tar.gz and tell it to extract. You'll end up with a usr directory in the newly created directory you made for the .deb.

Now, if you want to replace the current Human metacity, just put the newly extract usr/share/themes/Human/metacity-1 directory in the system
/usr/share/themes/Human

Just a question here but why use 0.2.14-1 when 0.2.22 is available? BTW, I am using Warty.

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 12:06 AM
metacity is metacity

with a pure metacity theme, bad code may slightly decrease it's speed, and I guess possibly a little more memory, but neither enough to warrant exclusion, that I've ever seen.

I've used both metacity themes and gtk themes that had gigantic memory leaks in them... so hmmm.

Spark*
April 3rd, 2005, 12:15 AM
This is possible for Gtk engines, but hardly for Metacity themes. Metacity themes are nothing but simple XML documents with drawing ops. If there is a bug, then it's a bug in Metacity. But as the author of the Clearlooks Metacity theme, I'm 99% sure that there is no such issue, so I'm pretty sure they reverted because someone preferered the old one.
Oh well, maybe it will get another chance once we can draw nicely anti-aliased rounded corners. ;)

bvc
April 3rd, 2005, 01:56 AM
Just a question here but why use 0.2.14-1 when 0.2.22 is available? BTW, I am using Warty.
i don't really use them other than just a qick looksee but if I'm not mistaken, the metacity in both those versions was the same so it didn't matter which I chose. I was just being sure to go back far enough in versions so they that wanted the old would get it, is all ;-)

bvc
April 3rd, 2005, 01:58 AM
I've used both metacity themes and gtk themes that had gigantic memory leaks in them... so hmmm.could you have been using a mcity that used images?

basse1989
April 3rd, 2005, 04:56 PM
I don't know if someone has posted about this already but, why are we back to the standard firefox icons. It would feel really strange if they wore to make it into hoary final. It looks so much nice with the same icons everywere.

Please tell me the gnome icons will make it back before hoary is released.

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 06:08 PM
could you have been using a mcity that used images?

That is very possible... I've used a bunch of them trying to find the one that "fits" me. :)

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Please tell me the gnome icons will make it back before hoary is released.

If not, I'm sure you can install the GNOME-Fx-Human (javascript:void(InstallTrigger.installChrome(Inst allTrigger.SKIN,'http://downloads.mozdev.org/gnomefx/GNOME-Fx-Human_1.0.1.jar', 'GNOME-Fx-Human'))) theme yourself. :)

bvc
April 3rd, 2005, 07:13 PM
what is that? browser? java?
/me confused
metacity?

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 07:19 PM
what is that? browser? java?
/me confused
metacity?

LOL yes sorry, that's a firefox theme installer. :)