PDA

View Full Version : Live Powerpoint Broadcasts ... kill kittens.

Deaf_Head
July 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I KNOW, this is an ubuntu off topic forum .. but I figured if anybody could help me .. it'd be a bunch of linux users. God knows Microsoft users aren't gonna be any help on obscure "advanced powerpoint features".

Also .. if any of you know of a better program to do this .. I'd love you forever. :D

Alright, so my dad went back to school right, and he is almost ready to recieve his masters degree. Hooray for him ... he needs to do his thesis defense though. So, he wants to do a live powerpoint presentation since he now works on the opposite end of the country from his college. I told him I'd help .. I figured this should be easy right? WRONG

I've spent hours searching the microsoft website for relevant information .. and have come up with little - to nothing. I turned around and started using google to search the MS website .. and found out I had to DL a bunch of add-ins for powerpoint. Eventually I found them all.

(I hate the MS site sooo much ...I guess they found out that by not providing relevant links they could cut down on the number of dead ones)

So I'm at the point where I seem to have all the obscure plugins I need ... but due to a lack of support, hell, lack of any support ... I am lost. I start the broadcast, and specify the shared folder where the presentation is located and start up the presentation .. but can't get any other computer to connect to it.

Oh, and I'm still computerless .. but now that I'm on the boards again .. I gotta say the new design is great.

fabiand
July 20th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Hey,

you can share your desktop, might this help you?
All you have to do is:
+ System -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop
+ Select the options you want
+ Tell the people, who want to view the presentation to get the vncviewer! only the vncviewer is needed, at http://www.realvnc.org.
+ now figure out your public ip .. this might be a bit tricky, depends on your internet connection ...
+ tell the people you public ip address
+ let them connect and start openoffices impress on your local computer, all people should be able to watch ...

fabiand