PDA

View Full Version : Toms hardware; ATi vs nVidia driver

halfvolle melk
July 18th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Based on these results, GTX and XTX performance under their respective Linux drivers more or less match up across the board, whether antialiasing settings are used or not. Also notable is the fact that while the XTX never dips below 25 FPS for any given test, the GTX does decrease sharply to 14 FPS during the ONS-Torlan stage. Overall, the GTX averages higher frame rates than the XTX card in almost every category, under all resolutions and settings. Both cards provide excellent visual quality, with sharp detail at every resolution. Perhaps the most telling aspect about these numbers is that while they show no clear winner, they do demonstrate that gaming isn't just for Windows anymore.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/12/geforce_and_radeon_take_on_linux/

Engnome
July 18th, 2006, 10:44 PM
A brief sampling of street prices puts a GeForce 7800 GTX at about $100 less than a Radeon X1900 XTX.

Nvidia ftw!

ember
July 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Me too. I'd always go with Nvidia now, yet I will wait for the 7600 GS to arrive in the AGP version, because it can be cooled passively (and I don't need ultra high performance).

Yet I guess, I will still dual boot with Windows (as I need it for some projects anyway) to play games. But maybe I'll give XGL a try then.

henriquemaia
July 18th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I have built my new computer on top of Nvidia hardware (mobo chip and graphical card chip). It was one of the wisest hardware choices I have ever made. I only use Linux and it's so pleasing having everything working like a dream.

Whenever I hear someone complaining "linux sucks big time/ubuntu is crap/whatever" based on hardware problems, I just think: of course - your hardware choices were not made with Linux in mind. And that can be a big problem.