PDA

View Full Version : Are you baking or turning blue?

Biltong (Dee)
July 18th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I have just read that it is so hot in New York that the locals are sticking to the sidewalk, so hey...

It's time for another silly thread!!

To avoid confusion I have added a link to a handy temperature converter :-?

http://www.albireo.ch/temperatureconverter/

ComplexNumber
July 18th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I have just read that it is so hot in New York that the locals are sticking to the sidewalk, so hey...

It's time for another silly thread!!

To avoid confusion I have added a link to a handy temperature converter :-?

http://www.albireo.ch/temperatureconverter/
its hot in northern england too. this is what my weather applet says for my area:

Met Office Forecast

Clear and warm overnight. Wednesday sunny, temperatures approaching record
levels.

This Evening and Tonight

Dry and clear. A warm night, particularly so in towns and cities. Minimum
temperature 16 deg C (61 deg F).

Wednesday

Mainly sunny. Very hot with record high temperatures possible in places. A
steady breeze developing. Maximum temperature 34 deg C (93 deg F).

Outlook for Thursday

Some sunshine, risk of a thundery shower. Somewhat less hot.

cstudent
July 18th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Currently here in southern Ohio it is 90 degrees F and clear blue skies. With the humidity it feels like 98 outside. Today I'm glad I have an office job. :-)

ComplexNumber
July 18th, 2006, 06:51 PM
this is what it says for London:

Met Office Forecast

Dry tonight with clear periods. Very warm.

This evening and tonight

Sunny periods this evening followed by a dry night with clear skies. Light
or gentle easterly winds. Minimum temperature 18 deg C (64 deg F).

Wednesday

Dry, sunny and very hot. Perhaps some thundery showers later. Gentle
easterly winds, turning southerly. Maximum temperature 37 deg C (99 deg F).

Outlook for Thursday

Thundery showers for a time. Sunny spells developing.

Biltong (Dee)
July 18th, 2006, 06:53 PM
My temperature applet thingey says that it is 13 degrees Celsius - about 55 F - at the moment (almost 8 in the evening here)and I don't expect it to get much warmer tomorrow.
This is a normal dead-of-winter Cape Town temperature :-)

paul cooke
July 18th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Gloucester, UK: mine currently has 32 deg C and 17 deg C minimum tonight... tommorrow will be worse...

Eversmann
July 18th, 2006, 06:54 PM
At the south of spain we're dealing with 40 C, so, you know, it's darn hot actually :-D

But i feel ok. I'm like a flower, without sun i would die (and the beach is 15 km away from house, so, isn't a big deal either).

Brunellus
July 18th, 2006, 06:57 PM
35 C in Washington, DC, with air quality warnings up and pleas to conserve electricity.

Biltong (Dee)
July 18th, 2006, 07:00 PM
35 C in Washington, DC, with air quality warnings up and pleas to conserve electricity.

YIKES!

You can always stay at my house - if you can afford the trip :-)

Actually, looking at the temperatures posted I take that offer back - I don't have room for EVERYBODY!!

Bezmotivnik
July 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM
One hundred and ten degrees here yesterday.

Maybe as hot today.

Maybe as hot for the rest of the week.

No rain until late October, probably.

On the other hand, winters are great here. 8)

DirtDawg
July 18th, 2006, 07:05 PM
America's suffering a massive heatwave, but P-Town's juuuuust out of reach. We're mostly cloudy with a high of 77F (25C) and I am absolutely loving it!

Biltong (Dee)
July 18th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Where are you located Bezmotivnik?

The sun?

ComplexNumber
July 18th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Bezmotivnik
what country is "here"? also, it would be good if people stated the current time of day in their country because that makes it easier to gauge if its extra hot or not. its 7.05pm here and its 31C at present.

wthanna
July 18th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Hot Hot Hot! 102 degrees F. at my home in Texas, yesterday.. expect similar today.. We are fairly used to that here this time of year, though..

updated: It's 96 degrees F. right now at 1:20 PM. It will get real hot here today, but I predict you guys in Arizona will beat us by a few degrees.. may feel hotter here, though.. we have very high humidity

bonzodog
July 18th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Here in Galway, ireland it is currently 19:15 and it is 29 degrees Celcius (84 degrees Fahrenheit). It has been very hot all day, and very humid.

Rel. Humidity: 26%
Wind: SE at 11 mph (18 km/h)
Sunrise: 5:31 AM
Sunset: 9:53 PM
Barometric Pressure: 30.01"Hg (F)

FISHERMAN
July 18th, 2006, 07:14 PM
32C/90F in Gent, Belgium.
I can't stand it anymore.:mad:

djsroknrol
July 18th, 2006, 07:15 PM
7/18/06....11:00AM...suppost to be 115 here in Arizona today...:(

matthew
July 18th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Fes, Morocco today at my house: 41C/106F - hot.

ComplexNumber
July 18th, 2006, 07:18 PM
matthew
what time of day is it where you are that give those temperatures?

Paulus
July 18th, 2006, 07:26 PM
it's 32 here in Bristol, U.K and i just realised my graphics card fan has been switched off the whole day - ( it turn it off at night lol).... started getting 2D artifacts :s

love the sun tho :cool: rather live somewhere with consistant sunshine so i dont go mad when i have a string of sunny days and get all burn :!:

matthew
July 18th, 2006, 07:27 PM
matthew
what time of day is it where you are that give those temperatures?Those temps were in the early afternoon, about 2 p.m. It is currently 6:25p.m. and it has cooled off a bit to 37C/99F

For the trivia lovers, Morocco is on GMT all year long--we never change our clocks.

RAV TUX
July 18th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Yesterday here in DC with the heat index it was 105F,...

current temperature according to NOAA:

Partly Cloudy

95F
(35C)

Humidity: 46 %
Wind Speed: SE 6 MPH
Barometer: 29.98" (1015.4 mb)
Dewpoint: 71F (22C)
Heat Index: 102F (39C)
Visibility: 7.00 mi.

Heat Advisory

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1013 AM EDT TUE JUL 18 2006

DCZ001-MDZ004>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-VAZ041-042-050>057-
182215-
/O.CON.KLWX.HT.Y.0003.060718T1600Z-060719T0000Z/
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-
HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-
ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-FAUQUIER-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-
CULPEPER-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-
ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-
KING GEORGE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER...
GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS... WALDORF...
ST MARYS CITY...LEESBURG...CULPEPER...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...
FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...FREDERICKSBURG
1013 AM EDT TUE JUL 18 2006

...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

A HOT AND HUMID AIRMASS WILL REMAIN IN PLACE ACROSS THE REGION
TODAY. IT WILL BE EVEN MORE HUMID THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING
COMPARED TO MONDAY...AND JUST AS HOT. WITH HIGH TEMPERATURES
OF NEAR 100 DEGREES...COMBINED WITH HIGH HUMIDITY...EXPECT
AFTERNOON HEAT INDEX VALUES TO RANGE BETWEEN 105 TO 109 DEGREES.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER WHEN THE WEATHER TURNS HOT
IS TO DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS. WATER IS YOUR BEST CHOICE AS IT
PREVENTS DEHYDRATION. IF YOU ARE WORKING OR EXERCISING OUTSIDE
AND FEEL DIZZY OR ARE GETTING MUSCLE CRAMPS...STOP IMMEDIATELY
AND SEEK MEDICAL HELP. THE ELDERLY AND YOUNG ARE MOST SUSCEPTIBLE
TO HEAT RELATED INJURIES...CHECK ON THEM OFTEN. NEVER LEAVE PETS
UNATTENDED IN AUTOMOBILES - TEMPERATURES CAN SOAR TO 130 DEGREES
IN A MATTER OF MINUTES.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA ALL HAZARDS WEATHER RADIO AND TO YOUR LOCAL
MEDIA FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER
SITUATION.

$$

ABW
and...

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1256 PM EDT TUE JUL 18 2006

DCZ001-MDZ002>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-VAZ026>031-037>042-
050>057-WVZ048>055-182300-
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-ALLEGANY-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-
NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-
PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-ROCKINGHAM-
SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-CLARKE-ALBEMARLE-GREENE-
MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-FAUQUIER-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER-
PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-
ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-
KING GEORGE-GRANT-MINERAL-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-
PENDLETON-HARDY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...CUMBERLAND...HAGERSTOWN...
FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER...GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA. ..BALTIMORE...
ANNAPOLIS...WALDORF...ST MARYS CITY...HARRISONBURG...WINCHESTER...
FRONT ROYAL...CHARLOTTESVILLE...LEESBURG...CULPEPER...MA NASSAS...
MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...
FREDERICKSBURG...BAYARD...PETERSBURG...KEYSER...MA RTINSBURG...
CHARLES TOWN
1256 PM EDT TUE JUL 18 2006

...SLIGHT RISK FOR SEVERE STORMS LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING...

A COLD FRONT WILL MOVE INTO THE REGION THIS EVENING. DUE TO THE
APPROACH OF THE COLD FRONT...COMBINED WITH THE VERY HOT AND HUMID
AIRMASS REMAINING OVER THE MID ATLANTIC...THERE WILL BE THE
POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS.

THE MOST LIKELY TIME FOR SEVERE STORMS WOULD BE BETWEEN 5 PM AND
MIDNIGHT. THE PRIMARY THREAT WILL BE FROM DAMAGING WIND GUSTS.

SPOTTER ACTIVATION MAY BE REQUIRED LATE THIS AFTERNOON OR EVENING
ACROSS WESTERN MARYLAND AND THE EASTERN PANHANDLE OF WEST
VIRGINIA.

MONITOR NOAA WEATHER RADIO FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION...
FORECASTS AND POSSIBLE WATCHES OR WARNINGS.

$$

ComplexNumber
July 18th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Those temps were in the early afternoon, about 2 p.m. It is currently 6:25p.m. and it has cooled off a bit to 37C/99F

For the trivia lovers, Morocco is on GMT all year long--we never change our clocks.
wow! thats really hot. the record in britain is just above 100F.
we're on the same timeline as you, but we're using BST(british summer time) at the moment.

matthew
July 18th, 2006, 07:41 PM
wow! thats really hot. the record in britain is just above 100F.
we're on the same timeline as you, but we're using BST(british summer time) at the moment.I'm from Phoenix, Arizona (USA) where I have seen it get as high as 122F/50C (no exaggeration). Here in Morocco it can get that hot as well, but in Fes the hottest I've seen is 46C/115F. The difference is that in Phoenix most people have Air Conditioning in the whole house. Here in Morocco very few people have A/C even in one room (we have it in three in my house).

ComplexNumber
July 18th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I'm from Phoenix, Arizona (USA) where I have seen it get as high as 122F/50C (no exaggeration). Here in Morocco it can get that hot as well, but in Fes the hottest I've seen is 46C/115F. The difference is that in Phoenix most people have Air Conditioning in the whole house. Here in Morocco very few people have A/C even in one room (we have it in three in my house).
fans are doing a roaring trade in britain at the moment :p. theres a fan here in several rooms because its quite unbearable. i would dread to be either in morrocco or arizona - it must be excrutiating. part of the problem here is that the weather is so variable, so our lifestyle isn't at all accustomed to these sort of temperatures, whereas people in arizona/morrocco are. plus, the humidity is really high, which makes it really sticky and uncomfortable. there is no air conditioning in british homes by default (except using fans and opening the windows), unless someone has installed it as an extra during a heat wave.

monkieie
July 18th, 2006, 07:52 PM
today 33C (91F) here, should be going on to 36C (97F) towards Thursday - we have the ventilator fans blowing in our appartment all night ;)

matthew
July 18th, 2006, 08:16 PM
fans are doing a roaring trade in britain at the moment :p. theres a fan here in several rooms because its quite unbearable. i would dread to be either in morrocco or arizona - it must be excrutiating. part of the problem here is that the weather is so variable, so our lifestyle isn't at all accustomed to these sort of temperatures, whereas people in arizona/morrocco are. plus, the humidity is really high, which makes it really sticky and uncomfortable. there is no air conditioning in british homes by default (except using fans and opening the windows), unless someone has installed it as an extra during a heat wave.In Phoenix we have a running joke that has a basis in truth. When people talk about how hot it is we always say, "But it's a dry heat." Then everyone laughs. The low humidity does make a huge difference until about 110F/43C. There comes a point where hot is just hot. :)

Honestly, I'm more comfortable at 40C/104F with a humidity of less than 15% than I am at 27C/80F and 80% humidity. You do get used to wherever you live.

Bezmotivnik
July 18th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Where are you located Bezmotivnik?

The sun?
California, which few people realize has (at different times of the year) both the highest and lowest local temperatures in the continental US.

News today says a balmy hundred and five downtown, but it will be a few degrees hotter out here.

ember
July 18th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Karlsruhe (Germany), 35 C / 95 F today, 37 C / 99 F announced for tomorrow, humidity usually around 60% ... reminds me of 'Lost Vikings 2' game ... "Be careful, it's jungle out there" ...

How I wish for fall to come *sigh*

monkieie
July 18th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Honestly, I'm more comfortable at 40C/104F with a humidity of less than 15% than I am at 27C/80F and 80% humidity. You do get used to wherever you live.

That indeed is very true. I spent almost a year on Cyprus with the UN and at it's peak we had 43 degrees Celsius (109F) in the shade, which didn't really bother me a bit because like Matthew says, it is a *dry* heat.

It's almost unbearable though when you have "only" a temp of 28 deg. C. (82F) but with a humidity of, like 96%.

I visited Dallas / Ft. Worth a couple of times for a company that I was working for. In summertime. When the aircraft door opened I though that I was walking into a bleeding furnace! :evil:

The moisture! Man, I needed like almost 10 days, just to get acclimatized...

Bezmotivnik
July 18th, 2006, 08:39 PM
You do get used to wherever you live.
I never have, and I've been around a while.

My late parents lived in Imperial Valley, which gets very nearly as hot as Death Valley. I've been in El Centro when it was around a hundred and twenty-five, if I remember correctly, record heat. People literally dropped dead on the street.

I lived many years in San Francisco, where it's up to forty degrees cooler than it is twenty miles inland. No summer, no winter. Sixty-something degrees every day.

The Pacific coast rules. It's the only fit place for year-round human habitation on the planet. Baja around Guerrero Negro is heaven, um, except for the occasional chubasco. :-k

Biltong (Dee)
July 18th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Forgive me, but don't you also have the occasional earthquake as well?

Iandefor
July 18th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Baking. I don't know the temperature... but it's at least 90 or so.

_simon_
July 18th, 2006, 08:49 PM

My applet says:

PingunZ
July 18th, 2006, 08:51 PM
In belgium 36

Grtz PingunZ

WildTangent
July 18th, 2006, 08:55 PM
A rather nice 28 C here :) not very cloudy either

-Wild

RAV TUX
July 18th, 2006, 08:59 PM
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/3955/20ye5.jpg

Biltong (Dee)
July 18th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Simon - I far prefer MY applet :-D

PingunZ
July 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM
In belgium 36

Grtz PingunZ

Bezmotivnik
July 18th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Forgive me, but don't you also have the occasional earthquake as well?
Yes, but they're not all that bad. I've been in a lot of them, most notably the '89 San Francisco/Loma Prieta one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loma_Prieta_earthquake), which was (briefly) "the most expensive natural disaster in history," according to whoever keeps tabs on that. Seriously, if you weren't squashed on the Cypress Structure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypress_Street_Viaduct) it was no big deal. It was very short. There were just a lot of plaster cracks. Full employment for structural analysts and drywall contractors for the next two years. In my house in SF, nothing even fell over. :rolleyes:

The only scary part was the brief rioting in some areas. I had to back rioters off at gunpoint twice, but I didn't have to actually shoot anyone.

There was a worse earthquake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Northridge_Earthquake) later down in SoCal.

Still, no biggie. This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Earthquake) was an earthquake!

_simon_
July 18th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Simon - I far prefer MY applet :-D

me too! I hate the heat :(

It's currently 9:45PM and 26C, I'd much rather it was 6C

Lonestar
July 18th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Baking! Current time in Dallas Texas is 16:00

Temp: 106F (41.1 C)
Humidity: 24%
Heat Index: 108
Wind: Variable 6 mph
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Pressure: 29.95 in.
Sky: Scattered Clouds

OrganicPanda
July 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM
i'm in the south east of the uk (brighton) and i was about to mention how i hate the heat i am being exposed to, but looking at some of the numbers here i'll just think myself lucky... i guess

RAV TUX
July 19th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Click the image to see a loop.
It's damn hot here!
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6859/200607182215usirbx7.jpg (http://adds.aviationweather.gov/satellite/displaySat.php?region=US&isingle=mult_big&itype=ir)

Dr. Nick
July 19th, 2006, 05:39 AM
A few other Texans in here I see,

It is almost 12am here just east of the Dallas/Ft Worth area and we have just dipped below 90F (32c) I watched my weather applet today and saw a atleast 102F (39c) with a heat index just under 110F

It is dry heat in Texas aswell ;)

I found it funny that my cpu temp is lower then the outside temp by several degrees for the majority of today, AMD 3000 with stock cooling sitting just under a massive window to the outside rarely broke 96F, My car registers the temp around 110 on the windsheild 8)

Biltong (Dee)
July 19th, 2006, 06:05 AM
The news says that they expect the London Underground to reach temperatures of 52 C today (126 F) and I don't think that it will be any better underground anywhere else either, so take lots of water guys!

Here in the Southern Hemisphere it is 7 C (45 F)at the moment at 07H02am and the expected high is 19 C (66 F).

I am not complaining. Geez , NOT AT ALL.... :-)

Bezmotivnik
July 19th, 2006, 06:54 AM
The news says that they expect the London Underground to reach temperatures of 52 C today (126 F)
Way back sometime in the late Bronze Age, I was in a record London heatwave and got trapped in the underground at rush hour when the power went out. It was incredibly awful. Trapped like sardines in the dark with this unbelievable heat while we all sweated on each other. Someone finally came with a flashlight and led us out on foot to the next station. I never had that happen to me in NYC.

_simon_
July 19th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Here's the forecast for the Midlands, UK today:

Met Office Forecast
Very hot again today, a few thundery showers tonight.
Today
It's likely to be the hottest day of the year so far with lots of sunshine.
Maximum temperature 35 deg C (95 deg F).
Tonight
A very warm night to follow with a few localised thunderstorms spreading
northeast. Minimum temperature 17 deg C (63 deg F).
Outlook for Thursday
Humid with some sunny spells and the odd thunderstorm.

Looking at the temperatures you guys experience in Texas I think I'd die lol

Bavo
July 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I'm in my office in Belgium and it's 34.5 degrees C (94 F) here atm.

And it will get hotter as the sun is turning to this side of the building.

It actually went up 0.1 degree while writing this post :)

Dr. Nick
July 19th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Just topped 100F around 4:20pm local here in East Texas, Atleast 3-4 days in a row above the 100 mark

Biltong (Dee)
July 19th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I'm sitting at my computer huddled in a thick sheepskin jacket.
Try wrap your brain around that one :-)

ComplexNumber
July 19th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I'm sitting at my computer huddled in a thick sheepskin jacket.
Try wrap your brain around that one :-)
well, when summer arrives for you and winter arrives in the northern hemisphere, the situation will be the other way around in this thread ;). it will be you who will be baking and many people in the northern hemisphere will be turning blue.

Bezmotivnik
July 20th, 2006, 01:38 AM
It would be so incredibly nice to be sitting around in a really stylish cafe in Buenos Aires having a yerba mate and good conversation... It's 55F/13C there right now, my kind of weather, not 104F/40C.:(

Biltong (Dee)
July 20th, 2006, 06:10 AM
well, when summer arrives for you and winter arrives in the northern hemisphere, the situation will be the other way around in this thread ;). it will be you who will be baking and many people in the northern hemisphere will be turning blue.

Oh, absolutely true.

But give me my five minutes (two months?) of rubbing it in :mrgreen:

Iandefor
July 20th, 2006, 07:39 AM
I can't wait for January to roll around. That's when we have the best weather here. It gets as close to frozen as it ever gets, and at it's hottest, it's 45 F. Mmmm... cold... this 90 F just isn't right.