PDA

View Full Version : Smart Scopes delayed

cariboo
March 29th, 2013, 07:26 PM
As a follow up to philinux 's thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2077844&p=12560168&viewfull=1#post12560168). We won't be seeing the new smart scopes and enhanced security in Raring. The Feature Freeze Exception has been pulled, due to quality issues. We will see them in 13.10, shortly after the start of the development cycle. This is an advanced notice, and more information will follow later.

EgoGratis
March 29th, 2013, 09:06 PM
enhanced security != enhanced privacy

But yes it makes sense not to push something that does not meet minimum quality requirements. Ubuntu 13.10 it is.

cariboo
March 29th, 2013, 09:38 PM
enhanced security != enhanced privacy

But yes it makes sense not to push something that does not meet minimum quality requirements. Ubuntu 13.10 it is.

There will be the ability to make purchases via the dash, so we'll see enhanced privacy and security.

EgoGratis
March 29th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Yes i think it makes sense to have the ability to purchase something and these feature to work as easy as possible. I like how user of Ubuntu Phone will be able to purchase something and the amount will be added to mobile provider monthly bill for example it makes sense sometimes to do it like that.

But why i emphasized the difference betwen security and privacy was because security is something that we expect to get by default and if there is a security issue we expect it will be solved quickly... but privacy is another issue and currently this is the issue rubbing many the wrong way and enhanced security will not fix this dilemma.

grahammechanical
March 29th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I see this

We are planning to provide the feature in a PPA for Ubuntu Raring which will be always rebased on Unity shipped on Raring. It will land it as soon as we are confident enough on the feature quality in Ubuntu S.

in here:

http://www.jonobacon.org/2013/03/29/smart-scopes-not-landing-in-13-04-will-land-in-13-10/

ManamiVixen
March 29th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Funny. I'm, using the smart scope feature ppa and see absolutely no problems with it. It works like it should and does a good job. Is there any word on the testing PPA will stay open or move?

Currently, I really am questioning Canonical. They seem to be making a ton of asinine moves lately and really dissapoint and fall on their promises.

Edit: WELL <snip> I just updated and upgrade and Apt removed the unity smart scopes packages! So no, apparently the ppa will not stay open as it just removed itself and it's packages.

EgoGratis
March 29th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Edit: WELL <snip> I just updated and upgrade and Apt removed the unity smart scopes packages! So no, apparently the ppa will not stay open as it just removed itself and it's packages.

Patience:

We are planning to provide the feature in a PPA for Ubuntu Raring which will be always rebased on Unity shipped on Raring. It will land it as soon as we are confident enough on the feature quality in Ubuntu S.

PPA will be available.

ManamiVixen
March 29th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I know, It's just I'm actually liking 13.04 and was planning to use it with the new smart scopes giving better privacy. I still believe in Canonical, they are a in a sense a new company to the mass computing world and are trying their hardest to clean themselves up and get a great product out. They are doing a good job, but are moving a little to fast.

mc4man
March 29th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Not sure about that - the prevalidation ppa is still active on my other install, just did an update actually.
(& it remains as half-baked as it's typically been
Don't see much reason to use at this point, when they say it's something worth trying I may then put up an install to see.

As far as Ubuntu overestimating what they can accomplish within a given period, nothing new there.
(14.04 will likely follow this tradition.

cariboo
March 29th, 2013, 11:29 PM
It seems it is a problem with the Dash payments code affecting some of the privacy settings, so as soon as that is sorted out, the ppa should start working again.

Starks
March 30th, 2013, 01:37 AM

We could've had this over the summer if a rolling repo was established

EgoGratis
March 30th, 2013, 01:51 AM

We could've had this over the summer if a rolling repo was established

Patience:

PPA will be available and i don't believe it would be available to end users sooner if RR would become rolling and interim releases would be ditched because it will be available when it will be ready and it's postponed because it's not quite there yet.

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
March 30th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Full marks to the dev team for erring on the side of caution to ensure a solid release. Mature and wise decision.

Regarding privacy, let's not kid ourselves that the impossible is possible. The nature of the shopping lens and scopes is inherently commercial and tied to transactions. This is always going to involve user data of some form or another being handled by Ubuntu and third parties. So in terms of "privacy", beyond the security aspects (e.g. making sure the data doesn't fall into the wrong hands) it can only be a question of degree e.g. how much of a user's activity will be stored as data and whether this data will only be read by a machine etc.

To Canonical's credit, I think they have been open and up-front. However, some people would simply like a non-commercial Ubuntu and no amount of tweaking is going to satisfy that group (people like me). For better or for worse, Ubuntu will lose those users. So for those then who do choose to "opt-in" to the Ubuntu experience, the only possibility is for the lens/scopes to be effective and do well what they are meant to do without weighing down the system. Otherwise, it won't be long before the Ubuntu experience is as dead as Jimi Hendrix's.

EgoGratis
March 30th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I don't think it's that simple. We have to assume Ubuntu market share will grow and user will use it more and more and we have to talk about this things openly because finding solutions in areas like privacy is hard and not straightforward path.

Commercial activity doesn’t necessary go against privacy and commercial software in USC for example was not seen as big privacy issue. I think some time has to pass and to see how tings will evolve and to talk about it and that is it for now.