PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LibreOffice 4.0

mike acker
February 7th, 2013, 06:00 PM
any info re. when we can get LibreOffice 4.0 from the Software Store ?

SuperFreak
February 7th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Just installed ver 4. It is fairly easy, just download from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ , extract the downloaded file,and open the read me file and follow the directions for Ubuntu
I notice it is now possible to open and edit .pub files(MS Publisher) which is new.

mike acker
February 7th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Just installed ver 4. It is fairly easy, just download from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ , extract the downloaded file,and open the read me file and follow the directions for Ubuntu
I notice it is now possible to open and edit .pub files(MS Publisher) which is new.

cool

i started the download,- it's not very fast :(

in my view LibreOffice is the key to the future of Linux

SuperFreak
February 7th, 2013, 09:11 PM
The download took me about 30min

blackbird34
February 8th, 2013, 01:02 AM
You won't get it in the Software Store in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS unless you use a PPA. On the other hand it will be default in 13.04...

bswilson
February 8th, 2013, 01:24 AM
I had much better luck with the torrent download; more like about 4 minutes on a standard cable modem connection.

mike acker
February 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM

ok i have the downloads,-- they are tar.gz

do i just un zip these and find the installer program ? is there is 'read.me' with instructions ?

how does the community feel about this update ? it's outside the 'vetted' software store -- but one of our standard packages .

update: OK i found the read.me files and printed them so hopefully i can do the update a bit later .

did you have to download and install the language pack or was the existing one OK ?

SuperFreak
February 8th, 2013, 03:21 PM
I extracted the files in Archive Manager I believe. The Read Me file is in the extracted folder. I have not downloaded the language pack, I am not sure if it is needed for English speaking people

Paddy Landau
February 8th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I have not downloaded the language pack, I am not sure if it is needed for English speaking people
Depends which English. USA English, I believe, doesn't need it, but English English (i.e. English in England) does.

SuperFreak
February 8th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I am in Canada so it might be helpful to download the pack

edit: Where do I find the language pack?

Paddy Landau
February 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I am in Canada so it might be helpful to download the pack
I would recommend it. You install the help pack after that.

I'm not sure which language pack you would use, though; Canadian English has a mix of US and UK English, doesn't it?

SuperFreak
February 8th, 2013, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure which language pack you would use, though; Canadian English has a mix of US and UK English, doesn't it?
Yes but mainly British. Now that I have installed the US version of Libre Office 4, would I have to start over uninstall the US version and install the British version?
If so I will probably stay with the US version. Am I correct to presume this will only affect the dictionary function of LO4?

Paddy Landau
February 8th, 2013, 04:02 PM
… would I have to start over uninstall the US version and install the British version?
No. From what I've seen, the main installation is the core, and does not change according to language. All you need do now is install the UK language pack followed by the UK help pack.

Am I correct to presume this will only affect the dictionary function of LO4?
No, it also affects the interface (so, for example, "Colours" instead of "Colors" in the options).

SuperFreak
February 8th, 2013, 04:33 PM
That worked fine. Thanks

mike acker
February 8th, 2013, 08:26 PM
let's see if we can de-crypt the "read.me"

1. Installation of LibreOffice on Debian/Ubuntu-based Linux systems
----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a previous version of LibreOffice already installed, then you will need to de-install it before proceeding further. For instructions on how to install a language pack (after having installed the US English version of LibreOffice), please read the section below entitled Installing a Language Pack.ok, are we un-installing the language pack or the LibreOffice ?????

Installing a Language Pack
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Download the language pack for your desired language and platform. They are available from the same location as the main installation archive. From the Nautilus file manager, extract the downloaded archive into a directory (your desktop, for instance). Ensure that you have exited all LibreOffice applications (including the QuickStarter, if it is started).ok so we have to go back and get the language pack . and stop this "QuickStarter". which would be fun if we had any idea what to look for our how to stop it

the download selection offered as follows:

LibreOffice Linux - deb (x86_64), version 4.0.0, English (US). Not the version you wanted? Change System, Version or Language
which looks like US English. no mention of a "language pack" unless you select a different donload. which leads to the expectation that the read.me is out of date .

Paddy Landau
February 8th, 2013, 09:18 PM
ok, are we un-installing the language pack or the LibreOffice?
Libre Office. Both, actually.

stop this "QuickStarter". which would be fun if we had any idea what to look for our how to stop it
The QuickStarter works only if you install the Libre Office from the standard Ubuntu repositories. It sits in the application indicator area. If you don't see it there, it's not running.

which looks like US English. no mention of a "language pack" unless you select a different donload. which leads to the expectation that the read.me is out of date .
The main installer comes with US English, so that doesn't need a language pack. Any other language (including non-US English) does need one.

TenLeftFingers
February 8th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Of those of you who have installed on 12.04 - are you seeing global-menu intergration? I've seen threads where people didn't get it.

Paddy Landau
February 9th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Of those of you who have installed on 12.04 - are you seeing global-menu intergration? I've seen threads where people didn't get it.
I believe that it will be unavailable before 13.04.

mike acker
February 9th, 2013, 03:03 AM
i don't think i know enough about this to continue.
thanks for the help anyway .

Paddy Landau
February 9th, 2013, 01:18 PM
i don't think i know enough about this to continue.
thanks for the help anyway .
I didn't realise that you needed help in installing.

It's very easy. Follow these steps.

Go to the Libre Office download page (http://www.libreoffice.org/download) and download all three of the Main Installer, Translated user interface, and LibreOffice built-in help. (If you use US English, you will have only two downloads: the second will be omitted.) Make a note of where you saved the downloads.
Optional but recommended: Uninstall your existing version of Libre Office. Open a Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and enter the following code. You can use the mouse to cut-and-paste to prevent typing errors.
sudo apt-get autoremove 'libreoffice*'
Open the folder where you saved the downloads (using Nautilus). For each of the three downloads (or only two, for US English), right-click and select "Extract Here". This action will create folders with the same names as the original files.
Open a Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and change to the folder where you stored your downloads. For example, if you saved them in your Downloads folder:
cd ~/DownloadsOr if you saved them to your Desktop:
cd ~/Desktop
Now, install the core:
cd LibreOffice_4.0.0_Linux_x86-64_deb
sudo dpkg --install --recursive DEBS
Install the language pack (skip this step if you use US English). Replace GB with your actual language code.
cd ../LibreOffice_4.0.0.3_Linux_x86-64_deb_langpack_en-GB
Install the help pack. Replace GB with your actual language code.
cd ../LibreOffice_4.0.0.3_Linux_x86-64_deb_helppack_en-GB
Finally, you can close the terminal, and delete the downloaded files and the extracted folders. You don't need them any of them more.

mike acker
February 9th, 2013, 05:22 PM
thanks

i think that details it enough for me. i only fled Windows last October

i want very much to get LibreOffice 4 insdtalled as I think the standard "Office" package is pretty much a must of Ubuntu is to be offered as an alternative to msft/office

hopefully the worst thing that can happen here is I have to re-install LibreOffice 3.5 from the software library

Paddy Landau
February 9th, 2013, 05:24 PM
hopefully the worst thing that can happen here is I have to re-install LibreOffice 3.5 from the software library
Correct. You can uninstall LibreOffice 4.0 and reinstall from the Ubuntu Software Centre (USC).

LO 4.0 solves some bugs and adds a couple of features, but the one from the USC works well enough.

mike acker
February 9th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Correct. You can uninstall LibreOffice 4.0 and reinstall from the Ubuntu Software Centre (USC).

LO 4.0 solves some bugs and adds a couple of features, but the one from the USC works well enough.

it really doesn't: documents, particularly .docx and . xlsx -- should be accepted by msft/office

they are not: msft/office declares them "corrupt"

it is my understanding that msft had managed to get ISO to adopt its .docx and .xlsx formats as ISO standards . this being the case -- anyone should be able to write an acceptable document

but the whole concept hits the wall when MSFT declares our .docx and .xlsx documents 'corrupt' . ( they seem to take .doc or .xls )

i am hoping to discover this is resolved in LibreOffice v. 4

i see this as an important issue for students

also for small business which may want to install Linux rather than MSFT . My brother's business has already done that . I've recommended to them that when people ask them for word or excel documents that they send .pdf

.pdf is better anyway unless you have an update need of some kind .

mike acker
February 9th, 2013, 06:25 PM

kudos pard!! I got thru the install with Flying Colors :D

Initial impression: LibreOffice 4.0 "feels better"
I created a short xls and calculated a mean and stddev and the functions snapped in better

next i'll test both xlsx and docx v. msft/office 2010 pack . (My daughter had to install that so she could submit her homework ) .

notes

we should amend your procedure with notes on removing the old libreoffice from the "launcher" and adding the new LibreOffice to the launcher ( I just started write and then calc and then just locked them to the launcher ) .
can we convert your process into a script ? normally it would work from 'Downloads'

Paddy Landau
February 9th, 2013, 06:51 PM
it really doesn't: documents, particularly .docx and . xlsx -- should be accepted by msft/office…
Oh yes, I forgot about that. MS does not play nicely with international standards; it took plenty of pressure to get MS to accept ODT format. I believe that Windows 8 finally accepts it properly, although I cannot test this.

.pdf is better anyway unless you have an update need of some kind .
Absolutely.

I got thru the install with Flying Colors
Excellent.

next i'll test both xlsx and docx v. msft/office 2010 pack . (My daughter had to install that so she could submit her homework ) .
Please let us know the results! Also, if you create odt and ods, will MS open them correctly? You need to check complex documents, as I already know that plain documents are (mostly) fine.

1. we should amend your procedure with notes on removing the old libreoffice from the "launcher" and adding the new LibreOffice to the launcher ( I just started write and then calc and then just locked them to the launcher ) .
Your method is perfect!

2. can we convert your process into a script ? normally it would work from 'Downloads'
Yes, I could, and I could even make it download automatically from the website. But I don't have time for this sort of thing. Installation is easy to do for a non-beginner (as you yourself found), and generally beginners are encouraged to stick with the standard applications from Ubuntu.

Better than an automated script would be to create a new PPA to hold the packages. That way, you just add the PPA to your list of repositories, and LO would be updated automatically along with the other standard updates. I believe that PPAs are easy to set up, but I have never been involved in that sort of thing.

In fact, there is already a Libre Office PPA (https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa), but it is generally out-of-date and, when it's not, contains test versions. So it's not worth using.

What would be needed is a volunteer who is prepared to maintain a PPA for Libre Office, and package each new release as it comes out — probably easy but time-consuming because of all the language packs.

mike acker
February 9th, 2013, 07:16 PM
after installing LibreOffice 4.0

Findings

docx test : document was not flagged as "corrupt" but could not display the embedded image
.odt test: flagged as corrupt
.xlsx test : document with chart -- came over OK but chart was a mess
xlsx test: formulas -- came over OK : formulas (mean, stddev ) preserved; not replaced with values as before

Conclusion: better; needs work .

in order for Linux/Ubuntu to stand as an alternative LibreOffice needs to communicate with MSFT Office in most circumstances

The Basic Office Version of Linux would be

LibreOffice (needs work )
Firefox replaces IE9,10
Thunderbird replaces Outlook
Nautilus replaces Windows Explorer alternative Krusader

I think we have the ball and we are on about the 26 yd. line . Windows is penalized half the distance to the goal due to security problems -- which -- due to their use of RPC -- i don't see they can fix it .

Paddy Landau
February 9th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks for sharing your findings. Perhaps raise a bug report to Libre Office?

in order for Linux/Ubuntu to stand as an alternative LibreOffice needs to communicate with MSFT Office in most circumstances
… and MS needs to be persuaded to support international standards. Unlikely to happen soon.

Windows is penalized half the distance to the goal due to security problems…
Not really. Everything else is penalised due to not being Windows. As people used to say about IBM, no one ever got fired for choosing to use Windows.

mike acker
February 9th, 2013, 07:53 PM
{snip}
Not really. Everything else is penalised due to not being Windows. As people used to say about IBM, no one ever got fired for choosing to use Windows.

that could be changing .

at some point all this hacking will get flagged as unacceptable.

managers today will be looking hard at this,... like being in a bad marriage. when the hurt exceeds the need you reach the "tipping point" : when the cost of bailing out < cost of staying in .

mike acker
February 9th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Oh yes, I forgot about that. MS does not play nicely with international standards; it took plenty of pressure to get MS to accept ODT format. I believe that Windows 8 finally accepts it properly, although I cannot test this.
{snip}

Ah-Ha!!

my brother -- whose company just switched to Dell system with Linux/Ubuntu -- has a Win8 system . he's also very interested in this .

i'll send him the test docs .

mike acker
February 9th, 2013, 08:54 PM
{snip}
Everything else is penalised due to not being Windows. As people used to say about IBM, no one ever got fired for choosing to use Windows.

I did a little digging on the status of "docx" . this is really OOXML :

Mr. Stallman had a few choice words,.. ( tee hee who'd a thought that 8-[

Microsoft Office 2007 uses by default a format based on the patented OOXML format. (This is the one that Microsoft got declared an “open standard” by political manipulation and packing standards committees.) The actual format is not entirely OOXML, and it is not entirely documented. Microsoft offers a gratis patent license for OOXML on terms which do not allow free implementations. We are thus beginning to receive Word files in a format that free programs are not even allowed to read.

see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

mike acker
February 10th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Thanks for sharing your findings. Perhaps raise a bug report to Libre Office?

… and MS needs to be persuaded to support international standards. Unlikely to happen soon.

update

I created a pretty ornery document this morning by cutting and pasting a whole bunch of crap from a 2-part web presentation into a LibreOffice document .

the software performed the paste with ease,-- bunches of images and links included -- different fonts --

I saved it as .docx and tried it in MSFT/Ofc 2010 and it came up OK

Impression: anyone using LibreOffice in 12.04 LTS would do well to consider the update .

"FWIW" I think this is huge for Linux:

"IMHO" the basic functions on an "Office" computer are :

1. The Office suite: including (1) Spreadsheet (2) Powerpoint (3) Writer
2. e/mail Outlook or Thunderbird
3. Web Access IE9, or 10, or -- Firefox
4. File manager: Windows Explorer or Nautilus (I prefer Krusader ) .
5. PDF Viewer -- Adobe or DocViewer

beyond this you are likely to run into specialized apps: Epic, Cerner, Star, CAD, etc . such software are likely only supported on Windows . such machines could be isolated on a non public facing intranet

good write-up:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/020713-libreoffice-40-speaks-content-266540.html?hpg1=bn

Paddy Landau
February 10th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I saved it as .docx and tried it in MSFT/Ofc 2010 and it came up OK
That's excellent news.

good write-up:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/020713-libreoffice-40-speaks-content-266540.html?hpg1=bn
Interesting, thank you.

mike acker
February 10th, 2013, 06:13 PM
That's excellent news.

Interesting, thank you.

see also:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/libreoffice-hits-4-0-adds-unity-integration-persona-theming

I think we need your update instructions posted in the sticky section under LibreOffice 4.0 update for 12.04 LTS Users

hopefully the sysop will agree and put your post into the stickies

this update is HUGE

Paddy Landau
February 10th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I think we need your update instructions posted in the sticky section under LibreOffice 4.0 update for 12.04 LTS Users
Probably not, but if you wish to arrange it, please go ahead.

TenLeftFingers
February 11th, 2013, 01:25 AM
I notice big improvements too with .doc compatibility and performance. But not for this:

"The user interface has been refined as well."

I actually notice no difference in the UI at all (unless they count personas as a UI change). Admittedly I use a subset of the features.

Rewarp
February 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Hi all. I decided to upgrade via the official site rather than the repository because of the huge amount of updates to LibreOffice compared to the ones in the 12.04.1 repository - and I couldn't wait.

However, it looks quite ugly under KDE 4.10. Any tips?

Paddy Landau
February 11th, 2013, 10:59 AM
However, it looks quite ugly under KDE 4.10. Any tips?
Screen-shot please?

Have you tried Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View > Icon size and style?

Rewarp
February 11th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Screen-shot please?

Have you tried Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View > Icon size and style?

Yes. I tried that. It's already using the default Oxygen theme.

Here's a screenshot.
http://ubuntuone.com/2cMu1jWuCGoxp7qgatmKMy

It appears to be a KDE problem for the QTCurve and Oxygen themes for GTK application. I have switched to using Ambience in System Settings > Application Appearance > GTK+ Appearance >Widget Style.

GTK applications will look out of place on my desktop, but it is a small price to pay for a prettier LibreOffice.

rewyllys
February 11th, 2013, 04:46 PM
see also:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/libreoffice-hits-4-0-adds-unity-integration-persona-theming

hopefully the sysop will agree and put your post into the stickies

this update is HUGE
I second the recommendation that Paddy's update instructions be posted in the sticky section.:p

mike acker
February 12th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Powerpoint test result

my brother sent me a power point "created using the latest Office Professional version 10-64bt windows 8. "

I was able to open , view and update -- looks fine

but LO 4.0 went into a loop* both times when i tried to save the updated file and i was forced to abort the program .

LO 4.0 was able to save the update in .odp format

* screen dim; 1 cpu at 100%

Paddy Landau
February 12th, 2013, 02:58 PM
LO 4.0 went into a loop* both times when i tried to save the updated file and i was forced to abort the program .
Was that when you were trying to save in MS format? If so, perhaps you need to raise a bug. How long did you wait for LO to finish?

mike acker
February 12th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Was that when you were trying to save in MS format? If so, perhaps you need to raise a bug. How long did you wait for LO to finish?

at least a whole minute . the save to the ODP format finished promptly

Dunno if we have any one else making this test ?

Paddy Landau
February 12th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Dunno if we have any one else making this test ?
If it's not confidential, do you want to PM me the Power Point test and I'll try it out on my computer? I'll wait much longer than a minute, just in case :)

mike acker
February 13th, 2013, 12:49 AM
If it's not confidential, do you want to PM me the Power Point test and I'll try it out on my computer? I'll wait much longer than a minute, just in case :)

the test file doesn't belong to me ( it's my brother's ) . my brother created it on his Win/8 machine . it is 27 slides .

let me try to compose one

Update: the file I composed using LO 4.0 had no problems in either .odp or .pptx format.
However: the .pptx document was only 26K while the .odp document was 1.9MB

just as I thought: the .pptx did not include the images; probably only has pointer to the images. after e/mailing the doc it becomes useless . the .odp worked fine

mike acker
February 13th, 2013, 01:37 AM

??

this box has 16GB RAM and a 4x AMD 3.4GHZ Phenom II

Paddy Landau
February 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM
this box has 16GB RAM and a 4x AMD 3.4GHZ Phenom II
OK, NP.

just as I thought: the .pptx did not include the images; probably only has pointer to the images. after e/mailing the doc it becomes useless . the .odp worked fine
So, I suspect that when you first tried to save it (as .pptx), it might have been trying to embed all the images. Libre Office compresses files as it saves, and it might have been that. Try again, but let it run for a few minutes before giving up.

If the .pptx was created using links instead of embedded images, one would have thought that Libre Office would do the same. Once you have saved from Libre Office (assuming it works), compare the file sizes. If necessary, raise a bug report (with Libre Office) for this.

mike acker
February 14th, 2013, 12:29 AM
OK, NP.

So, I suspect that when you first tried to save it (as .pptx), it might have been trying to embed all the images. Libre Office compresses files as it saves, and it might have been that. Try again, but let it run for a few minutes before giving up.

If the .pptx was created using links instead of embedded images, one would have thought that Libre Office would do the same. Once you have saved from Libre Office (assuming it works), compare the file sizes. If necessary, raise a bug report (with Libre Office) for this.

i looked for some kind of option setting that would relate to saving the images but did not find anything that seemed to be related .

I'm going to table this and keep an eye open for a maintenance update for LO 4.0

blackbird34
February 15th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Isn't there an auto-updater in LibreOffice 4.0?

And what happened to the quickstarter? Has it been removed? I couldn't find it in the usual place in the preferences...

Paddy Landau
February 15th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Isn't there an auto-updater in LibreOffice 4.0?
No, certainly not for Linux — you have to depend on a PPA for that, which Ubuntu provides, but as you know Ubuntu's PPA is always out-of-date (for a specific reason).

But, you can subscribe to the email updates to be informed when an update is released, if you are happy to manually update each time. (There is a test Libre Office PPA (https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa), but it is used for testing and is therefore unstable; it is also usually out-of-date.)

And what happened to the quickstarter?
In Ubuntu, the Quickstarter is unavailable unless you use the official Ubuntu version. I don't know why; the Quickstarter appears to be supported but in fact it is not.

blackbird34
February 16th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Well in any case I have dug through the options and found an auto-update option at Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Autoupdate. I'll see if it actually reports any updates in the next months.

On the other hand there is no sign of the quickstarter at all; when I was using a PPA, there was. But I'll be on Precise for a while yet so i'll just do without, LO 4 seems to have got quicker :D

Paddy Landau
February 16th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Well in any case I have dug through the options and found an auto-update option at Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Autoupdate. I'll see if it actually reports any updates in the next months.
Let us know. The release schedule (https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan) indicates that 4.0.1 is expected to be released early or mid May (but the dates are not ironclad).

On the other hand there is no sign of the quickstarter at all; when I was using a PPA, there was.
You start the Quickstarter with the command:

libreoffice4.0 --quickstartUnfortunately, it doesn't work!

LO 4 seems to have got quicker
I agree.