PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04, unibody Macbook, Nvidia drivers

A46R
February 7th, 2013, 06:55 AM
this is my first time ever putting any linux distro on my own computer. I have a late 2008 unibody MacBook (2.4 dual core)
I successfully installed and updated Ubuntu, but don’t know where or how to install my drivers. Specifically my Nvidia GeForce 9400M.

I ran some quick google search and found a page talking about modifying something called "xorg" but as you can see i have no idea what they are talking about.

This is a popular enough computer, and Ubuntu is a popular enough OS, I'm hoping someone has done this before and knows not only what i have to do, but also how i have to do it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

ACubed10
February 7th, 2013, 07:14 AM
If you look through all your programs or do a search for "additional driver". It's a program that will tell you of available drivers for your hardware. You just click the one you want and hit activate. Done

You can get to it by going to settings for the computer. It will be listed in there

dolphin194
February 7th, 2013, 07:17 AM
If that doesn't work, then try installing the NVIDIA drivers manually. Here's a tutorial for that: http://www.techlw.com/2012/03/install-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-1204.html

Also, your computer should have similar hardware to my Early 2008 MacBook Pro (non-unibody), which Ubuntu works fine on.

A46R
February 7th, 2013, 07:18 AM
If you look through all your programs or do a search for "additional driver". It's a program that will tell you of available drivers for your hardware. You just click the one you want and hit activate. Done

You can get to it by going to settings for the computer. It will be listed in there

I hate to second guess you, but a friend of mine who recently installed Ubuntu to his Asus computer said this "additional drivers" feature screwed him over.

is there a reason why this would work for me and not for him?

Edit: screw it im doing this, im asuming theres a way to un-install the driver if it doesn’t work?

ACubed10
February 7th, 2013, 07:19 AM
If that doesn't work, then try installing the NVIDIA drivers manually. Here's a tutorial for that: http://www.techlw.com/2012/03/install-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-1204.html

Also, your computer should have similar hardware to my Early 2008 MacBook Pro (non-unibody), which Ubuntu works fine on.

You are right. My old MacBook (early 2008) worked perfect with ubuntu. You may already have the graphics driver you need

ACubed10
February 7th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I hate to second guess you, but a friend of mine who recently installed Ubuntu to his Asus computer said this "additional drivers" feature screwed him over.

is there a reason why this would work for me and not for him?

Edit: screw it im doing this, im asuming theres a way to un-install the driver if it doesn’t work?

He installed the incorrect drivers. Probably from inexperience with ubuntu and which version he needed. Stick with the recommended drivers that "additional drivers" tells you is available. Plus he has an asus. You have a MacBook. 2 completely different systems

Good thing about ubuntu and if you are really new is that the best way to learn it is to break it! So break away friend. You will enjoy the learning curve

A46R
February 7th, 2013, 07:24 AM

Awesome can you tell me about any other drivers you may have needed. My track pad feels a little...wonky, but i believe yours has the older type apple trackpad

ACubed10
February 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Awesome can you tell me about any other drivers you may have needed. My track pad feels a little...wonky, but i believe yours has the older type apple trackpad

Try searching around in the Mac section of this site I used it a lot while installing on mine

Found here http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=328

A46R
February 7th, 2013, 07:33 AM
I just installed the recommenced option in the additional drivers program and restarted. To be honest i dont know if it worked our not. I know my DVI out inst working. Does anyone know how to get that running?
Also is there a part in system setting where i can check or change my resolution?

ACubed10
February 7th, 2013, 07:37 AM
I just installed the recommenced option in the additional drivers program and restarted. To be honest i dont know if it worked our not. I know my DVI out inst working. Does anyone know how to get that running?
Also is there a part in system setting where i can check or change my resolution?

Yes it's called displays. Should see it in there some where. I'm sure if you installed the recommended drivers you should be good to go. Not sure about your DVI I never hooked a monitor up to my MBP. I'm sure the link in the last post will be able to help you fine tune it there. All apple heads over there. The rest of your questions should probably be asked over there regardless since its apple specific. I'm sure a mod will move this thread

Welcome to Ubuntu though. Enjoy it!

A46R
February 7th, 2013, 07:58 AM
posted in apple section here for those interested
://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2113293

the additional drivers didn’t seem to work for me im sitting on 1280 x 800 resolution and remember being capable of more than that.

ACubed10
February 7th, 2013, 06:34 PM
posted in apple section here for those interested
://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2113293

the additional drivers didn’t seem to work for me im sitting on 1280 x 800 resolution and remember being capable of more than that.

Which macbook do you have?

if it's a 2008 unibody, the native resolution was 1280 x 800

Only goes higher than that if you have a retina, which retina's weren't even avail in 2008