PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 GDM Default Session / Desktop Environment

amhainen
February 7th, 2013, 12:40 AM
I'm running 12.04 with GDM and Gnome Classic installed. How can I set the default session to be Gnome Classic and not Unity?

I checked /var/lib/AcountsService/users/me. I found that the session is set to Gnome Classic. Perhaps this is the config for LightDM? I don't know if I uninstalled LightDM. I just installed GDM and it seemed happy enough.

I also tried logging out to see if that would cause it to remember the session, but no luck...it defaults back to unity.

Thanks for the help.

PascAlucard91
February 7th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I'm not a 100% sure, but i think that when you are on your login screen, you can choose, which desktop environment to start, which is then automatically set as default.
hope i can help

ibjsb4
February 7th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Im running lightdm, but I think its the same. ~/.dmrc file comment out (#) whats there and enter:

Session=gnome-fallback

amhainen
February 7th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Im running lightdm, but I think its the same. ~/.dmrc file comment out (#) whats there and enter:

Session=gnome-fallback

Thanks, but this didn't work. I tried both "gnome-fallback" and "gnome-classic".

ibjsb4
February 7th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Well, so much for my guesswork. Have a look here.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=set+default+desktop+gdm&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en