PDA

View Full Version : 10.04 LTS OS system 'hangs' on Toshiba NB205

clabonte
February 1st, 2013, 06:19 AM
I'm an absolute beginner (or very nearly so) - I have installed Ubuntu on other computers, fixed small problems. In this case the machine seems to be hanging PRIOR to Ubuntu install (it had the same problem with the windows OS).

After about 10 minutes of a black screen with a blinking white cursor in the upper left hand side something seems to click and the OS loads. I can put the computer to 'sleep' and it pops right back on, but always hangs on the restart.

I can hit F12 and F2 and get into the BIOS, but changing all these settings (no I don't really know what i'm doing by doing this) has no effect. Still hangs after I leave BIOS and computer starts to load the operating system.

One more observation, mashing multiple keys (never seems to be the same key combo) at the same time (as in run you DA*%& THING) does sometimes shorten the hang time - Generally this results in a bunch of unintelligible characters populating the screen - then it moves onto loading the OS. BUT if I do this then the keyboard does not work correctly (most keys on the right including 'j,k,l,u,i,o,p,n,m' do not work)

Help me! THANKS!!!

fantab
February 1st, 2013, 06:29 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 is nearing its end of life... see this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases). I would advise you to install Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS or switch to Ubuntu 13.04 when release. Its release coincides with the eol of 10.04.

To come to your issue it seems like an Hard Disk problem... It could be corrupted or dying... check that first. From Ubuntu LiveUSB or LiveCD you can use 'Disk Utility' to run some tests on your HDD. Or you can use some other tool to do so.

Bucky Ball
February 1st, 2013, 06:41 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

+1. You have around three months left for 10.04 LTS, until April 2017 for 12.04 LTS. Go the latter. It has been out since last April so well stable.

DO NOT install 13.04. It is currently 'testing', not released until April and definitely not a good place to start. Breakage is to be expected.

Welcome to the forums. ;)

monkeybrain2012
February 1st, 2013, 07:19 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 is nearing its end of life... see this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases). I would advise you to install Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS or switch to Ubuntu 13.04, whose release coincides with the eol of 10.04.

To come to your issue it seems like an Hard Disk problem... It could be corrupted or dying... check that first. From Ubuntu LiveUSB or LiveCD you can use 'Disk Utility' to run some tests on your HDD. Or you can use some other tool to do so.

12.04 I agree, but why do you recommend 13.04?? It is an alpha for testers. The latest stable version is 12.10.

BTW, 12.04.2 will come in two weeks. It is still 12.04.1

fantab
February 1st, 2013, 09:49 AM
12.04 I agree, but why do you recommend 13.04?? It is an alpha for testers. The latest stable version is 12.10.

BTW, 12.04.2 will come in two weeks. It is still 12.04.1

Oh No, I did not mean to recommend 13.04 immediately, I meant by the time 10.04 ends its life-cycle 13.04 would be there as an option. I guess I should have made myself more clear... (I edited my earlier post to reflect this).

Also about 12.04.2, I quite certainly read somewhere (can't remember where though) that it is due in a couple of days... Has it been delayed?

Since clabonte's machine hangs in windows as well his real issue is not OS... but some hard ware failure, my suspicion is HDD.

monkeybrain2012
February 1st, 2013, 07:32 PM
Also about 12.04.2, I quite certainly read somewhere (can't remember where though) that it is due in a couple of days... Has it been delayed?

Yes, it has been delayed. Needs more testing.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI3MjY

clabonte
February 2nd, 2013, 05:58 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 is nearing its end of life... see this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases). I would advise you to install Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS or switch to Ubuntu 13.04 when release. Its release coincides with the eol of 10.04.

- Thanks All,
I'll re-up my USB stick with LiveUSB for 12.04.2 and run the utility to check the HDD, I really appreciate all the help you all ROCK! ... Um... I may re-post on this if I don't understand (likely scenario) what the utility tells me :)

clabonte
February 3rd, 2013, 12:57 AM
- Thanks All,
I'll re-up my USB stick with LiveUSB for 12.04.2 and run the utility to check the HDD, I really appreciate all the help you all ROCK! ... Um... I may re-post on this if I don't understand (likely scenario) what the utility tells me :)

I re-installed 12.04.2 and it's no longer hanging, so ... I guess the HD was OK?? in any case i'm going to mark this 'solved'