PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AMD VS Intel

waltwin
January 25th, 2013, 02:38 AM
I have 3 machines, Two have intel processors and one(my main machine) has a AMD Processor. It is :AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ and the machine has 5.9GB of Memory.

The second is a ACER: Intel Pentium Processor P6200 2.13 Ghz 3 MB L3 cache, 4GB ddr Memory.

The third is a Gateway LT27: Intel Atom Processor CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz x 2 and 990.7 MB of Memory

All three machines have been loaded with the same Ubuntu 12.04 software. The two Intel machines worked with a problem. The Ubuntu machine, not so much. I have downloaded the ubuntu software from two different locations thinking that I got a bad download but I get the same poor results.

An example is that I must wait anywhere from 20 seconds to one minute to connect to the internet. When I selected, at download, not to enter my password at start up, that happens on the Intel machines but not on the AMD machine. I have to enter my password, several during update manager.

I found a site on line where I can enter a sudo command to accomplish this task but it won't work on my AMD machine.

I never had these problems on ubuntu 10.10 so I am comfortable stating that the problem is with 12.04.

Is there a special download for AMD other that Ubuntu 12.04 Precise?

Has anyone heard others complain about problems with AMD machines and 12.04 Precise?

Thank you for any advice anyone can provide

waltwin