PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading

Jonp89
January 24th, 2013, 05:45 PM
I have ubuntu 12.04 and i was reading the upgrade page on how to upgrade, but i checked for updates and it's not showing ubuntu 12.10, any help would be appreciated.

oldfred
January 24th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Since you have the LTS long term support you have two choices. Either the to the next LTS or 14.04 or next version. If you upgrade to next version you have to continue every 6 months as there is no direct update to 14.04 when it comes out.

I have always preferred clean installs to another 25GB / (root) partition anyway.

I use synaptic and then Software sources. Not sure if in Unity you can just directly load Software Sources or not since I am in gnome-panel.

Jonp89
January 24th, 2013, 06:40 PM
14.04 is the out already?

ibjsb4
January 24th, 2013, 06:44 PM
14.04 is the out already?

Nope, not yet.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Jonp89
January 24th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Oh fred said 14.04 so i was just asking.

grahammechanical
January 24th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I think that the point oldfred was making was that once we go from 12.04 to 12.10 we can only get to the next LTS release (14.04) by upgrading to 13.04 then 13.10 and then 14.04.

With 12.04 you can wait until 14.04 and upgrade directly to it.

Go to System Settings>Software Sources Or Ubuntu Software Centre and look for settings and see it they are set to notify you of the next LTS release. If you change it to the next distribution release then you will get notification/invitation to upgrade to 12.10.

Regards.

deadflowr
January 24th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Since you have the LTS long term support you have two choices. Either the to the next LTS or 14.04 or next version. If you upgrade to next version you have to continue every 6 months as there is no direct update to 14.04 when it comes out.

I have always preferred clean installs to another 25GB / (root) partition anyway.

I use synaptic and then Software sources. Not sure if in Unity you can just directly load Software Sources or not since I am in gnome-panel.

Yes in Unity, you'll have to open up the update manager, and select settings in the bottom left corner to open up software sources.
Of course their are other ways to do this, but this is the simplest.
When software sources is opened select updates and go down to where it says notify me of new versions and you can switch it to either whenever a new version comes out,never, or leave set for long term releases.
I don't pay much attention to other releases, but LTS always set this to the LTS only state.
When all state close the window and in the update manager select check, as this will reload the repos and you should then get a prompt at the top for new version available.
Have at it. And good luck.
As always, back up what's important to you as upgrades, though quite stable, can bork your system IF problems occur. Let's hope this doesn't happen, but it's better to be safe then totally sorry.

deadflowr
January 24th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Go to System Settings>Software Sources

Software sources was added to system settings in 12.10.

Jonp89
January 24th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Ok i got it, thanks 2 you all.