PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multi Monitor set up

BuntuLife
January 18th, 2013, 03:02 AM
i was wondering if anyone could recommend me simple way to have multi monitor..(2 monitors+laptop) my l laptop has a VGA output so 1 monitor could work, ive looked through other ways such as USV to VGA hook up to get the other monitor, also looked at the Matrox Dualhead2go module but when i search a bit more all those setups require software installation thats not compatible with Linux :/

sooo does anybody know a way?;)

leef
January 18th, 2013, 08:25 PM
I believe that you could use a displaylink adapter but make sure you check that the model you buy is compatible with linux. They aren't very good for 3D or anything like that so bear that in mind.

BuntuLife
January 19th, 2013, 02:29 AM
I believe that you could use a displaylink adapter but make sure you check that the model you buy is compatible with linux. They aren't very good for 3D or anything like that so bear that in mind.

thanks for the response Leef, i did some quick google and found good news!

Does it work with Linux?
An open source driver is available, which is now built into the Linux kernel. Linux support for DisplayLink devices is supported by the Linux community. More information on the open source driver can be found at displaylink.org (http://displaylink.org).

but as always, theres a bad news too lol so far i cant find a monitor with Displaylink technology cheaper than $150 :-|

maybe i can find a good sale on ebay or if anyone has any other options please let me know :p

BuntuLife
January 19th, 2013, 02:55 AM
FOUND A SOLUTION!!!!

i had a Thinkpad Dock Station in a box, never used it. someone on Reddit pointed out the Dock Station has an option for extra monitors, i jumped to see if it was true, and behold! 2 DVI display out puts and 1 extra VGA out put!

search on google to see if it would run the 2 displays or 3 displays or what worked..found this.

Triple Display Configurations

ThinkPad-only
ThinkPad Mini Dock Series 3 (4337)
ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 - 90W (4338-10U) or ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 - 170W (4338-30U)

Quad Display Configurations

ThinkPad Mini Dock Series 3 (4337)
ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 - 90W (4338-10U) or ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 - 170W (4338-30U

i have the 4338 mini, im assuming but i'll find out when everything gets hooked up ;)

Bobhuber
January 19th, 2013, 09:26 PM
i was wondering if anyone could recommend me simple way to have multi monitor..(2 monitors+laptop) my l laptop has a VGA output so 1 monitor could work, ive looked through other ways such as USV to VGA hook up to get the other monitor, also looked at the Matrox Dualhead2go module but when i search a bit more all those setups require software installation thats not compatible with Linux :/

sooo does anybody know a way?;)
I run 3 monitors on a single card using a vga splitter sold by iogear among others. VGA from card to splitter to 2 monitors and DVI from the card to the third.. The only problem I've run into is that you must use the lowest default resolution for any of your monitors as the default for the system. You in theory could run as many VGA monitors as you wanted with no software involved with multiple splitters off of a single VGA source.