PDA

View Full Version : List SSIDs in terminal?

Roasted
January 11th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I know you can do sudo iwlist wlan0 scan and see everything, but it gives me a LOT of information for each AP in the area. Is there a way to simply list the SSIDs with significantly more basic info? When I googled around everybody seemed to suggest sudo iwlist wlan0 scan and they were happy with that. Like I said, just hoping for something a bit more basic. Thanks!

haqking
January 11th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I know you can do sudo iwlist wlan0 scan and see everything, but it gives me a LOT of information for each AP in the area. Is there a way to simply list the SSIDs with significantly more basic info? When I googled around everybody seemed to suggest sudo iwlist wlan0 scan and they were happy with that. Like I said, just hoping for something a bit more basic. Thanks!

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan | grep ESSID

Roasted
January 11th, 2013, 09:35 PM
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan | grep ESSID

Nice! That's exactly what I wanted. Do you know if there's a way to kind of branch out a bit more to see a bit more info? I know that kind of goes against what I was initially asking but if there's a way to see more details (but not 70 lines of details) that'd be great... like the signal strength, encryption type, etc. If not, this is huge, as I can at least see the SSIDs without a ton of extra stuff.

Appreciate it!

steeldriver
January 11th, 2013, 09:55 PM
if you have a recent version of network-manager, there's

nmcli dev wifi list

Roasted
January 11th, 2013, 10:00 PM
if you have a recent version of network-manager, there's

nmcli dev wifi list

Nailed it. That's perfect. Thanks fellas!

haqking
January 11th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Nailed it. That's perfect. Thanks fellas!

Welcome.

remember to mark the thread as solved using thread tools.

Cheers

Roasted
January 12th, 2013, 01:36 AM
One last question, does that:

nmcli dev wifi list

only work on 2.4ghz networks? I have 3 SSIDs at my house (router 2.4, router 5.0, and a 2.4 AP I added on the deck). I'm only seeing the router 2.4 and the 2.4 AP... not the 5.0 of my router...

steeldriver
January 12th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Hmm.. it finds both of mine:-

$ nmcli dev wifi list | grep NETGEAR
'NETGEAR68-5G' 20:4E:XX:XX:XX:XX Infrastructure 5220 MHz 54 MB/s 87 WPA2 no
'NETGEAR68' 20:4E:XX:XX:XX:XX Infrastructure 2427 MHz 54 MB/s 98 WPA2 yes

Are you sure you're broadcasting the 5G SSID?

Roasted
January 12th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Hm, it seems fine now. I was on my deck at the time. Perhaps I wasn't able to reach the 5.0 band out there? The regular GUI network manager had it listed though. I just turned my laptop back on (I'm inside now) and I see it. I also went back outside where I was and I saw it then too. No idea... but hey... all good now!