PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cable modem ---> gigabit switch -->computers? no router?

sdowney717
January 10th, 2013, 02:59 PM
what would happen if you did that?

or to eliminate router, would you have to setup ubuntu router as a router?

so it would then be

cable modem ---> ubuntu router -->gigabit switch -->computers?

I have been interested in using wired gigabit, so was thinking of a gigabit switch and get rid of fast Ethernet routers (the fast Ethernet is a gimmicky slogan as it is so slow compared to gigabit)

Then for wireless, attach wireless router off the gigabit switch or attach wireless router off a second nic on the pc.

Doug S
January 11th, 2013, 08:02 AM
cable modem ---> gigabit switch -->computers? no router?
what would happen if you did that?It depends on how many IP addresses your ISP gives you. In my case I have 2 IP addresses and can do exactly what you show with two computers (but actually I use use two routers, one of which is an Ubuntu server computer).
or to eliminate router, would you have to setup ubuntu router as a router?You would not be eliminating the router, but rather your router is an ubuntu computer. Confusing.
so it would then be
cable modem ---> ubuntu router -->gigabit switch -->computers?
I have been interested in using wired gigabit, so was thinking of a gigabit switch and get rid of fast Ethernet routers (the fast Ethernet is a gimmicky slogan as it is so slow compared to gigabit)
Then for wireless, attach wireless router off the gigabit switch or ...Yes, that is exacly how I have my network configured, except that I have my wireless router configured as a switch instead of a router. Then everything on my LAN is on one tidy little sub-net and I do not have to think much about the wireless stuff.

sdowney717
January 13th, 2013, 10:42 PM
I have decided to buy a 5 port gigabit switch and then forget about using ubuntu as a router handing out DHCP as in 'share this connection to other computers'

Then you network is dependent on the ubuntu PC working.

My gigabit switch is Trendnet TEG-S50g I got used for $15 off ebay. It is 3 months old. Some of these switches like the cisco ones on newegg get bad reviews as the capacitors dry up inside after 2 years or they get hot and have noisy fans.

So my network will be

cable modem -- wireless router -- gigabit switch -- up to 4 PC's

And I can plug in my printer and other items to the wireless router's ports.

Since there will be only one router, everything will be on the same subnet.

redmk2
January 14th, 2013, 04:40 AM
...the fast Ethernet is a gimmicky slogan as it is so slow compared to gigabit...
But 10X faster that Ethernet 10BaseT that it replaced.