PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless drops : Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285/Ubuntu 12.04/Asus N53SM

iamchrismoran
January 8th, 2013, 02:55 AM
At unpredictable intervals my laptop drops its wireless. Initially it will continue to try to connect to the network and ask for the password, but eventually gives up. When I select the network icon, under Wireless Networks is says "device not ready".
Restarting returns the wireless, but randomly it shuts down again.
This has only been happening for about 2 weeks.
This system is dual-boot with Windows 7 (for gaming) and I do not have the same wireless issues within windows.
Below I'm including the suggested output and information.
Thanks for your help,
Chris

System: Asus N53SM laptop
Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
When dropped, ifconfig returns no wireless
iwconfig returns:
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=16 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off

lsmod | grep "wlan_module_name" returns nothing

dmesg returns the following:
[ 3523.854471] ath: Failed to stop TX DMA, queues=0x10f!
[ 3523.867927] ath: DMA failed to stop in 10 ms AR_CR=0xffffffff AR_DIAG_SW=0xffffffff DMADBG_7=0xffffffff
[ 3523.867930] ath: Could not stop RX, we could be confusing the DMA engine when we start RX up
[ 3523.987634] ath: Chip reset failed
[ 3523.987638] ath: Unable to reset channel (2437 MHz), reset status -22
[ 3525.497317] ath: Failed to wakeup in 500us

and basically repeats the wakeup and additional attempts.

sudo lshw -C network
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 00:08:ca:34:58:4a
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.2.0-35-generic-pae firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
resources: irq:17 memory:ddc00000-ddc0ffff

iwlist scan
wlan0 Failed to read scan data : Network is down

lsb_release -d
Description: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
* Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces
* Reconfiguring network interfaces...

iamchrismoran
January 17th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Update: realized that it IS happening in Windows 7 as well. The big difference is that in Windows I can click on the broken wifi icon and tell it to fix the situation, which apears to be restarting the wireless adapter. It's a temporary fix, but better than asus telling me I have to send it in, that they will likely do an OS recovery (pretty much screwing up my months and months of setup for the dual boot system.

BUT... I do not see any comparable method in linux/ubuntu. It's like a hardware kickstart or something. Is there something similar in linux?