PDA

View Full Version : I need more space in my ubuntu partition

gurrunaki
January 6th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Hi all, I'm running ubuntu 12.04 next to win7 in a laptop toshiba portege z830, I made a small partition for ubuntu, but as long I'm using it I realize that I need more GB in my ubuntu partition. Can I do it from windows just resizing the partitions with some software?
Will affect it to my ubuntu if I resize from windows?

Thanks in advance!!!

NikTh
January 6th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Hi ,
what you mean when you say
I'm running ubuntu 12.04 next to win7

Have you installed Ubuntu with wubi.exe (from within Windows) or alongside Windows (regular dual-boot from DVD/USB) ?

I think we will need the existed partitioning schema to help you.
Boot into Ubuntu and open a terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) , apply the command below and post back here the results

sudo fdisk -l
Please click on "New Reply" and put the results inside [CODE] tags to be easier to read. See here how (http://i.stack.imgur.com/zADbK.png)

Thanks

grish
January 6th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I think OP means alongside.

mips
January 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
If Ubuntu is installed to it's own partition (not installed inside of windows via wubi) then boot off you ubuntu livecd/usb stick use gparted to resize your partition.

BACKUP important documents & files before starting this procedure, there is a always the potential risk of data loss!!! Rather safe than sorry.

Mark Phelps
January 6th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Do NOT use GParted to resize Win7. Doing so risks corrupting the Win7 OS and rendering it unbootable.

Instead, use the Win7 Disk Management utility to shrink Win7. It doesn't have the flexibility of GParted, but it doesn't run the risk of corrupting the filesystem.

mips
January 6th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Do NOT use GParted to resize Win7. Doing so risks corrupting the Win7 OS and rendering it unbootable.

Was not aware of that, have used GParted to resize Win7 NTFS partitions a few times already without problems.

audiomick
January 6th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I can't offer proof, but I have seen numerous posts with the same advice that Mark Phelps gave: use the windows tool to work on windows.

Why not, after all? Boot into windows and de-frag first, which is very advisable anyway if you are going to shrink the partition, and while you're there use the windows tool to work on windows. Makes sense to me, and doesn't represent any significant amount of extra effort.

When you have your free space, boot windows once or twice to give it a chance to run it's disk checks, which is also very advisable according to lots of posts I have seen (makes sense to me too...) then boot into the Ubunut live environment and finish the job from there.

kurt18947
January 6th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I use another option to work with partitions. I've been using it for a few years now and haven't been bit yet (touch wood;)). It's shareware. I created a boot CD. When asked if you want to install it, answer "no". You will then be in work with partitions mode. I paid for it, installed it and use it in lieu of GRUB or other boot manager. AFAIK using it for partition work functions without being paid for. Using it for boot management unregistered shows a nag screen I think.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=544

As the above link states, resizing a linux partition is a two step process. First resize the partition then resize the file system. I assume this is true using gparted as well but I haven't done it so I'm not certain. I've resized NTFS partitions - usually shrink them - without using Windows' tools with no issues.

gurrunaki
January 6th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all your replies, and sorry doesn't answer before, but family issues...

Here it is the log that Nik ask me for... My biggest doubt is if I resize the hard disk from windows, will I have problems with ubuntu when I will boot on it again? or in windows?

@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 128.0 GB, 128035676160 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 15566 cylinders, total 250069680 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xaac90c7f

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 206848 81922047 40857600 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 81922048 250066943 84072448 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

arpanaut
January 6th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Looks like a wubi install to me, the info you need is here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

audiomick
January 7th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Yep. No Linux partitions there. Must be WUBI

NikTh
January 7th, 2013, 02:09 AM
Yep. No Linux partitions there. Must be WUBI

Yes. Agreed. Wubi install indeed.
So the biggest space you can have (in wubi install) is 30GB .. if I'm correct (not very sure, but I think is 30GB max) and I don't know if there is a way to resize a wubi installation...

Consider to uninstall wubi and take advantage of a regular dual-boot ..

Thanks

Frogs Hair
January 7th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Resizing or moving a wubi root disk is possible , but probably more complicated than backing up and dual booting.http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354&highlight=wubi+partition

gurrunaki
January 7th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks all of you for your answer, my doubt is, if I need uninstall windows as well or how to uninstall completely ubuntu for install again... I don't know...

NikTh
January 7th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks all of you for your answer, my doubt is, if I need uninstall windows as well or how to uninstall completely ubuntu for install again... I don't know...

Is not needed to uninstall Windows. Just to resize. Resize Windows from within Windows , lot of free tools out there , and leave a space for Ubuntu installation.

As you installed Ubuntu now , you can uninstall it with 1-2 simple clicks. wubi.exe is just a program like any other program in Windows. So Control Panel > Remove Program > and uninstall Ubuntu. This is easy.

Be aware that is better to do a defragmentation of the disk before you resize Windows partition and install Ubuntu.

Lot of tutorials and how to (threads) in here and generally in Web about Ubuntu Windows dual-boot. Search for "Ubuntu alongside Windows".

Thanks

audiomick
January 8th, 2013, 12:58 AM
...Be aware that is better to do a defragmentation of the disk before you resize Windows partition....
Do it in this order. Removing the WUBI install will leave space in your Windows partition, so

Backup any thing you have in the Wubi Ubuntu install
Remove the WUBI
Defragment the windows partition. Maybe twice if you haven't done it for a long time.
Shrink the windows partition with the windows tool.
Boot windows a couple of times to let it run the disk check thing if it wants to.

This will leave you with a space for your Ubuntu dual boot install.

I like to set up my Ubuntu partitions with gparted from the live environment, but you don't have to. I set up a separate /home partition, and I find I have a better overview if I make the partitions first, then install.

If you don't want to do that, run the Ubuntu installer and choose "beside windows".

It shouldn't give you any problems.

gurrunaki
January 8th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I fix it!!! Many thanks to all for your help and advices!!!

What I have done is delete ubuntu from Windows, after that, with a software I fix the partitions, defragment the partition and install again ubuntu with the size that I was looking for.

Many thanks to all of you!!!