PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop Heating Ubuntu 12.04 dual boot Windows 8 on Thinkpad T430u

balasupv
January 5th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Hello All,

This post is regarding an overheating issue with my Lenovo t430u. This is a new laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 8 and I have dual booted Ubuntu 12.04 on it.

The issue is when I leave Ubuntu on without any activity (except say top running), the screen locks out as usual. In about 20 minutes, the right half of the laptop (especially under the keyboard) heats up significantly. I checked that the fans were not running immediately after I activated the screen. I initially read this post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2039148

and tried to check if the issue was with my wireless card. So I turned off the wireless and the problem persisted. I am not an expert in Linux but I have survived using the different online communities over the last two years. It would be great if someone could suggest a solution!

This is my first thinkpad + ubuntu experience. If there are some general tips to improve heat issue, power management etc that I should take care of to improve my experience, please suggest them as well.

Once again a big warm thanks to all the volunteer posters on this forum, who have made many of our (read non-experts) lives easier and made open source what it is!!!:)