PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphic penguin

misswham
January 4th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Good morning. I just downloaded ubuntu 12.04 and I recently saw a video about it on youtube and on the desktop this person had a penguin walking over the bottom of the screen. How was that done? I also saw a kubuntu 12.04 video and I see that they have widgets available and it has a bouncing ball that u can start on the screen but i really liked that penguin walking. How can we OR can we do that with ubuntu 12.04?

zombifier25
January 4th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Is xpenguins what you're looking for? It's in the repo.

misswham
January 4th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Im sorry but I dont know what repos are? Im familiar with synaptic and the terminal but not sure what the repos are? If someone tells me where to find them and how to install, Im pretty sure I will be able to do it because I had ubuntu yrs ago, I just got lazy when i started using mint. I have been seeing the word repos everywhere on here and Im not actually sure what they are. Also the windows are too big and I have to go to another desktop to click next or accept. How can i correct this?

zombifier25
January 4th, 2013, 03:40 PM
The repo (short for repository) is where all of Ubuntu's softwares are hosted, and when you use Synaptic or apt-get, you're browsing the repo. So simply:

sudo apt-get install xpenguins
or use Synaptic to install the package.

audiomick
January 4th, 2013, 03:42 PM
The "repos" are the "repositories". That is where apt-get, synaptic, the software centre, the update manager et al go to get the packages that they administrate.

Here is some info on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_repository

Open the software centre or synaptic and search for xpenguin.

audiomick
January 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Also the windows are too big and I have to go to another desktop to click next or accept. How can i correct this?

I think you should start a new thread for this with an appropriate title. The title of this thread wont attract anyone who thinks they can help with that problem.

misswham
January 5th, 2013, 03:11 AM
I just installed xpenguin but where do i find it, what name am i looking for?>

boregard
January 5th, 2013, 04:58 AM
okay, you will have to open terminal and type in xpenguins.

misswham
January 5th, 2013, 06:33 AM
thanks. i did that and the little penguins started going all over the place, is there a way to go to a menu and make it one and bigger?

zombifier25
January 5th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Launch it like this:

xpenguins -t Big\ Penguins -n 1