PDA

View Full Version : [other] Ubuntu server 12.04 BIND 9 configuration help please.

AkerokSauren
January 4th, 2013, 05:36 AM
I'm currently trying to configure my server with DNS server software BIND9. I'm uncertain how to configure this properly. This server is going to be a web server that will host the website and tools that my friend and I have built. I have business class internet for this server, with a static IP address, subnet, and 2 DNS configurations. Does anyone know how to configure BIND9 so that our website will be able to be accessed through the browser?

chadk5utc
January 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Perhaps one of the Admins could move this to servers.

I'm currently trying to configure my server with DNS server software BIND9. I'm uncertain how to configure this properly. This server is going to be a web server that will host the website and tools that my friend and I have built. I have business class internet for this server, with a static IP address, subnet, and 2 DNS configurations. Does anyone know how to configure BIND9 so that our website will be able to be accessed through the browser?

This should get you started in terminal also note there are other text editors I use vi aka vim or there is nano for use on command line.

sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces
THEN Set per your IP Info
# The primary network interface

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.3.90
gateway 192.168.3.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.3.0
broadcast 192.168.3.255

Then

sudo vi /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 192.168.3.2 #your DNS
nameserver 192.168.3.3 #your DNS

Then

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

And a tutorial for BIND can be found here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIND9ServerHowto

jdthood
January 5th, 2013, 12:03 PM
chadk5utc advises editing /etc/resolv.conf but as of Ubuntu 12.04 this is not correct because that file is dynamically generated.

jdthood
January 5th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know how to configure BIND9 so that our website will be able to be accessed through the browser?

If you are running a website on a machine and you want others to be able to access that website by domain name then you will have to register the machine's domain name in DNS.

If you want to make it available to users on the Internet then you will have to register the machine's domain name with an Internet DNS provider.

If you only want to make it available to users on a LAN then you will have to configure a nameserver somewhere (e.g., bind9) to resolve the machine's name to the machine's address and also configure the users' machines on the LAN to use that nameserver for DNS resolving.

linuxsyst
January 5th, 2013, 12:10 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1710039
My Tutorial

AkerokSauren
January 7th, 2013, 11:56 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1710039
My Tutorial
Your tutorial was very informative. I'm still having an issue, though. I don't have the domain name at this time (trying to purchase it). I also can't ping my server from another computer through the Internet (I can ping my external IP, though). What could be the issue? Also, the DNS server and the web server are the same computer.