PDA

View Full Version : Bash Script Running Different Commands for Different Versions of Apache

cginf0s3c
December 31st, 2012, 08:53 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to write a script that will basically run different commands for versions of Apache. For Apache 2 I just need it to run command. If the version is Apache 1 I need it to check if the output of a given command returns blank and check if a file exists. I want the code to exit 0 because these are considered fail conditions.

More specifically what I am trying to accomplish is this.
If Apache version is 2 then run a command and if it does not contain the 'apache2' string then exit. Else if the apache version is 1 then check if a command output is not blank or a file is a regular file. I used /etc/passwd as a dummy file. If either condition is true I want the code to exit.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

#!/bin/bash

VERSION=`apache2 -v | grep "Server version"`
ENABLED=`ps -A | grep 'apache2'`

if [ $VERSION == *Apache/2* ];
then
elif [[ $ENABLED == *"apache2"* ]];
then
echo 'Apache service is enabled';
exit 0
else
if [ $Version | grep -q "Apache/1" ]
then
elif [ -n $ENABLED -o -f /etc/passwd ]
then
echo "The test failed. Apache process running."
exit 0
fi
fi

Vaphell
January 1st, 2013, 12:43 AM
instead of ps | grep you can use pgrep, it's much cleaner as the grep apache2 process itself doesn't get caught

VERSION=`apache2 -v | grep "Server version"`
if [ $Version | grep -q "Apache/1" ]
Case doesn't match. I'd avoid all-caps names entirely, shell env vars are all caps by convention and you risk collision by accident.
I'd drop backticks `` too, they suck. Use $() instead
also you can't pipe variable directly to another command, you need to use echo or printf ( echo $var | ... ).

if [ $VERSION == *Apache/2* ];
that won't work, you probably want condition in the form of

if [[ $version =~ .*Apache/2.* ]]; ...