PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Touchpad problem: cursor jumps (Ubuntu 12.10, 64bits)

Eolith
December 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Hello,

I have this annoying touchpad problem: I move the pointer with the touchpad. Then, at the end of the movement (i.e. when I release contact with the trackpad) the pointer makes a small jump on the screen of random magnitude and direction.

This makes the laptop very hard to use since I have to aim 2 or 3 times before it lands on the right place where I want to click. As a result I very often click on the wrong place!

I have a new HP Pavilion dv7 triple-boot with Ubuntu 12.10 (64bit), Windows 7, Linux Mint 13 (MATE, 64bit). It has a SynPS/2 Synaptics Touchpad.

Booting with Windows 7 does not show this issue, indicating to me that the touchpad H/W is ok.

Mint 13 does show the same problem, as wel as Fedora booted from a live USB, leading me to conclude that this is a Linux-distro (driver?) problem.

Incidentally, using a separate mouse works completely fine.

I have searched in Linux forums, in particular this one, but I cannot find a solution. Any help would be welcome!

Best regards, Eolith

DorianX
December 26th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Does this happen right away, or only after you've been using the machine for some time?

I've got a stand-alone USB touchpad and I've noticed similar behavior but it doesn't kick in until the machine has been running more than a day. In my case, unplugging and replugging the touchpad makes the problem go away for a short time. Obviously you can't do that, but your touchpad is probably also connected to the USB bus "under the hood" so maybe there's a way to simulate unplugging and re-plugging. My device is a Cirque Corporation 9925 AG, in case that helps anyone reading narrow down the scope of the problem.

Eolith
December 26th, 2012, 10:33 PM
No. Problem occurs right away when I start machine and it persists no matter how long it's on.

Under Windows 7 all works just fine so somehow "under the hood" unplugging and re-plugging I think is unlikely to help. Still: thanks for the suggestion and keen to try if anyone knew how to do that!

Eolith
December 29th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Please - is there anybody who can help or provide any hints, or suggest on where else to look? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

DorianX
December 31st, 2012, 11:02 PM
I can add that I tried using xinput to disable and re-enable the touchpad, and that didn't fix the problem. I'm trying to work out if there's a software way to reset the USB port since unplugging and replugging all the time probably isn't good for the connector.

elj4176
January 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I have the same problem on 2 new HP laptops. The touchpad is too sensitive. The touchpad settings sliders in the control panel do not seem to matter either.

I have to use an external mouse or it is nearly unusable.