PDA

View Full Version : [other] Why Are Most New Laptops Seem to be Worse

Orochimaru777
December 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Little harsh title because I was in a hurry, but: Remember not long ago when I said I was considering getting a new laptop, well I'm running into a HUGE problem. Most of the computers that I saw only had an RPM of 5400. My dad's little netbook has an RPM of 7200, and its not that old. All the newer computers SHOULD have an RPM of 7200, especially in this day and age. The worst part was they were all SATAs, which makes for a slower transfer rate.

There were very few that had an RPM of 7200, but they either had less than enthusiastic reviews (weren't the best, weren't the worst: not too good) or something seemed wrong about them. Even some of the gaming (didn't look at Alienware yet) had an RPM of 5400.

All the Samsungs (even though I liked them) had 5400. All the HPs (didn't like the ones I saw), same). Dell, saw a few with 7200 (and some had Ubuntu already on there. But I don't want it on there because my dad is going to teach me how to put it on), but something didn't seem right). Lastly, I saw Sony, all of the ones I saw had 7200, but had bad reviews. I was a bit disheartened by this.

Any reason as to why the RPM for most is 5400 or any suggestions for a laptop, please let me know. Thank you.

andrew.46
December 25th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Maybe I am a little old fashioned but there will always be compromises with laptops that will not have to make with a desktop system, particularly if you build it yourself. Smaller power supply, less capable graphics, smaller slower HDDs, generates more heat etc etc.

carl4926
December 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Suggest you replace HDD with SSD

Temüjin
December 26th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Yeah, it's marketing and product segmentation because of the SSD. More expensive laptops will use an SSD for the system disk (because of reliability and performance) and also have a 5400RPM for mass media storage (where the performance doesn't matter as much). Cheaper laptops have smaller profit margins and the market is even more crowded, so 5400RPM drives help cut costs.

kurt18947
December 26th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I suspect 5400 RPM drives run cooler and use less battery power, both desirable traits in a portable machine. I also think linux uses drive caching so that the difference in rotational speed of the hard drive on a machine with adequate RAM will not be noticeable. 7200 RPM drives in a laptop neither provide the performance of an SSD or the economy of a 5400 RPM drive.