PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Firefox nowhere to be found in Lubuntu-desktop

marsgorski
December 22nd, 2012, 03:37 AM
I have just installed lubuntu-desktop on top of ubuntu 12.04. I understand that chromium is the default browser in lubuntu but I was expecting Firefox to show up under the Internet menu. It is installed in my computer, and it shows in the Lubuntu Software Center under installed applications but I cannot find it anywhere. How do I have it show up on the Internet menu?

2F4U
December 22nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
Can you check if there is a .desktop file for it and, if yes, if it contains menu categories?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Windows

vasa1
December 22nd, 2012, 06:59 AM
Cannot find firefox in Lubuntu desktop (http://askubuntu.com/q/231448/25656)
And my comment there:

What do you see when you run locate firefox.desktop? Do you have such a file? It should normally be in /usr/share/applications and you should see the regular Firefox icon. If you do, right-click on it and view it with a plain text editor. Then edit your question here to include the relevant lines. (There'll be a lot of lines in other languages.) It's possible that there's some line such as TargetEnvironment=Unity that may prevent display in a "Lubuntu" session. But, as the answer below suggests, a purge/install may do the trick.

vasa1
December 23rd, 2012, 04:39 AM
Can you check if there is a .desktop file for it ...
The .desktop file had this: OnlyShowIn=Unity; but it's unclear whether that is in a specific subpart of the .desktop file or in the main section.

Even though I have a pure Lubuntu installation I do see this OnlyShowIn=Unity; business in some .desktop files.

For example, Transmission has this in the main section:

Exec=transmission-gtk %U
but farther down has

[Desktop Action Pause]
Name=Start Transmission with All Torrents Paused
Exec=transmission-gtk --paused
OnlyShowIn=Unity

[Desktop Action Minimize]
Name=Start Transmission Minimized
Exec=transmission-gtk --minimized
OnlyShowIn=Unity;