PDA

View Full Version : Disappeared NTFS Drive

barabas1
December 21st, 2012, 11:44 AM
Hi,

i'm a nub (^_^) and i use Xubuntu in dual boot with Windows Xp 32 bit.

I have a problem since I installed ntfs-config and ntfs-3g. I properly configured ntfs-config to mount at startup the Windows partition (NTFS). Anyway after reboot I cannot see the windows drive anymore in file manager. Even if i say to the desktop manager to show the removable drives on desktop it doesn't come up.

I tried removing ntfs-config and nothing changed. So I executed the following commands in the terminal

sudo blkid

and I get

/dev/sda1: UUID="140C7ED70C7EB37A" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda3: UUID="0d000752-81a0-4b08-89f2-6268e65cb2bc" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/mapper/cryptswap1: UUID="b7db6c43-7801-4864-b838-990f3b8ed153" TYPE="swap"

then I digit

cat /etc/fstab

and this is what i get

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

#Entry for /dev/sda3 :
UUID=0d000752-81a0-4b08-89f2-6268e65cb2bc / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
#Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=140C7ED70C7EB37A /media/afc/140C7ED70C7EB37A ntfs-3g defaults,nosuid,nodev,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
UUID=82b1fc7e-56d2-4b03-9379-aa5772600b54 none swap sw 0 0

#UUID=34025582-ff5e-493c-8052-5bb50f70e1eb none swap sw 0 0

I looked for a solution on forum but i did not find it.

Can someone help me to fix this?
Thanks a lot!

coffeecat
December 21st, 2012, 01:51 PM
I have a problem since I installed ntfs-config

You are not alone - many do! :wink: I suggest you read what it says under "Automatic Configuration" here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions

In fact, you might find that whole page useful.

I tried removing ntfs-config and nothing changed.

I'm glad to hear you've removed ntfs-config, but the reason that nothing changed is that ntfs-config is a configuration application. You will need to reconfigure /etc/fstab manually. So...

This is the relevant line from your /etc/fstab:

#Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=140C7ED70C7EB37A /media/afc/140C7ED70C7EB37A ntfs-3g defaults,nosuid,nodev,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

I'm a bit puzzled by the mountpoint for your ntfs partition - that's not a mountpoint I would expect from ntfs-config. Post the output of these commands and then I can suggest an edit to that line and possibly a different mountpoint.

ls -l /media
ls -l /media/afc

Questions: does "afc" mean anything to you? Is it your Ubuntu account name?

barabas1
December 21st, 2012, 02:21 PM
Thank you so much! :)

Yes, afc is my account name.

I executed the code you told me and I got

drwxr-x---+ 3 root root 4096 Dec 20 10:24 afc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Dec 5 13:39 floppy -> floppy0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 5 13:39 floppy0

and for the second command

drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16384 Dec 19 16:09 140C7ED70C7EB37A

ehmm I also read the page you suggest, but I did not understand how to solve my specific problem.. (nub boy speaking here ^_^).
Do you have any solution?

coffeecat
December 21st, 2012, 02:41 PM
Yes, afc is my account name.

Yes, I thought so. With effect from 12.10 (are you running 12.10?) if you mount partitions by means of the file manager, they are mounted on /media/<yourusername>/<mountpoint>. In earlier versions of Ubuntu, they were mounted on /media/<mountpoint>. I suspect that you had the partition already mounted from the file manager when you ran ntfs-config and it got itself confused. For /etc/fstab entries I prefer to use /media/<mountpoint> and leave /media/<yourusername>/<mountpoint> for the filemanager.

So, first create a mountpoint. From the terminal:

sudo mkdir /media/Windows

You can substitute almost any string you want instead of "Windows". If you do choose a different mountpoint name, avoid spaces - they simply add complexity you don't need.

You now need to edit /etc/fstab manually. Do do this, from a terminal:

gksu gedit /etc/fstab

Take care - this is a system file and you have root privileges with that command. Double-check everything.

Edit this line:

So that it looks like this:

UUID=140C7ED70C7EB37A /media/Windows ntfs-3g defaults,windows_names,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

Change /media/Windows if you chose a different mountpoint name. Are you in the USA? If not, you might want to change the locale option. Details in the wiki link, but if you need help, post back.

Now save and close the text editor. There's a bug with gedit which causes it to open a second empty document and then complain that it is unsaved when you try to close it. So long as you have saved your edited /etc/fstab, simply ignore the message and close.

Now, from a terminal:

sudo umount /media/afc/140C7ED70C7EB37A
sudo mount -a

Or, instead of those two commands, simply reboot.

Does that work?

I suggest you also read the first two sections of the wiki page I linked, and take note about use of the file manager versus /etc/fstab and concerns about mounting your Windows C: partition. The advice it gives about mounting your Windows C: partition read-only I agree with (partly because I wrote it! :)). If you do want read-only access to your C: partition, post back and I can suggest a different set of mount options. (They're in the wiki page anyway.)

barabas1
December 21st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Yes, I thought so. With effect from 12.10 (are you running 12.10?) if you mount partitions by means of the file manager, they are mounted on /media/<yourusername>/<mountpoint>. In earlier versions of Ubuntu, they were mounted on /media/<mountpoint>. I suspect that you had the partition already mounted from the file manager when you ran ntfs-config and it got itself confused. For /etc/fstab entries I prefer to use /media/<mountpoint> and leave /media/<yourusername>/<mountpoint> for the filemanager.

ok, I have Xubuntu 12.10. And yes I firstly mounted with tunar the Windows drive and later on I installed ntfs-config (which is now uninstalled).

I did everything else that you said (except for opening the fstab with this command
gksudo leafpad /etc/fstab because
gksu gedit /etc/fstab did not work).

I executed the unmount commands and also rebooted, but I still can't see the drive in Thunar...

LewisTM
December 21st, 2012, 03:10 PM
If I may, I think the OP has had access to his NTFS drive all along in /media/afc/...

The problem he mentions is that all of a sudden, the drive is no longer on the desktop and in Thunar's side pane. That's a Xubuntu-specific behavior. When you specify that a drive is to be mounted at boot in /etc/fstab, it becomes an "internal" drive (as in "part of the system") and is not shown as user mountable on the desktop and in Thunar. It's still reachable in /media/... and you might want to bookmark it.

Barabas1: You could make the drive appear where you expect by adding user to your ntfs-3g parameters in fstab. Or you could unmount everything, erase the mount point and the fstab entries, and simply add this command as a Startup Application.

gvfs-mount -d /dev/sda1
Also, I'd recommend the new Thunar 1.6 (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/install-thunar-with-tabs-support-in.html) which presents drives in a more intuitive way.

Cheers!

barabas1
December 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
WOW :)

When you specify that a drive is to be mounted at boot in /etc/fstab, it becomes an "internal" drive (as in "part of the system") and is not shown as user mountable on the desktop and in Thunar. It's still reachable in /media/... and you might want to bookmark it.
Yes, in media i see it!

Barabas1: You could make the drive appear where you expect by adding user to your ntfs-3g parameters in fstab.
Ok i would go for this solution, but would you please explain me how (don't forget I'm a nub ^_^).

LewisTM
December 21st, 2012, 03:35 PM
Your fstab line should be changed to this

UUID=140C7ED70C7EB37A /media/afc/140C7ED70C7EB37A ntfs-3g user,nosuid,nodev,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
Then reboot.

coffeecat
December 21st, 2012, 03:51 PM
ok, I have Xubuntu 12.10.

@barabas1, my apologies for missing that you were running Xubuntu.

Your fstab line should be changed to this

Then reboot.

@LewisTM, we could discuss which mount options to add until the end of time (considering today's date! :)), but I would earnestly suggest that the OP include "windows_names" as well. Without that mount option I've managed to save a file to NTFS with an "illegal" character in the filename on more than one occasion. Ubuntu doesn't mind at all, but Windows certainly does, and I've wasted a lot of time untangling this before I realised what the problem is.

barabas1
December 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks a lot to the both of you! :)

So i guess i solved the problem combining your suggestions. This is what i did:

sudo mkdir /media/Windows

and then changed the line in fstab in

UUID=140C7ED70C7EB37A /media/Windows ntfs-3g user,nosuid,nodev,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

Merry Xmas and thanks again! ):P

LewisTM
December 21st, 2012, 04:06 PM
So I just tested the effect of the "user" switch on an NTFS thumb drive and it did NOT work. Sorry :(

It works for other filesystems. It seems that ntfs-3g cannot be used for mounting as a user and thus won't show as user mountable by Xubuntu.

The only solution to get the old desktop behavior is to mount with gvfs-mount. It gives you no mount option, will mount in /media/afc/<UUID or LABEL> but should meet most demands.

barabas1
December 21st, 2012, 04:09 PM
So I just tested the effect of the "user" switch on an NTFS thumb drive and it did NOT work. Sorry :(

It works for other filesystems. It seems that ntfs-3g cannot be used for mounting as a user and thus won't show as user mountable by Xubuntu.

The only solution to get the old desktop behavior is to mount with gvfs-mount. It gives you no mount option, will mount in /media/afc/<UUID or LABEL> but should meet most demands.

LewisTM Your solution with user is now working for me...

LewisTM
December 21st, 2012, 04:23 PM
Well I'll be damned! I think the reason it didn't work for me was that I used /mnt as the mount point, for testing purposes. It works if you put the mount point inside /media, as you did.

Glad to have helped! Please mark as SOLVED using the thread tools.