PDA

View Full Version : After upgrading RAM, 12.04 won't boot

bookcrazy
December 19th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Dear All,

Here are the particulars:

ACER Aspire 4738Z
Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04

I installed 2 four gig sticks of RAM today (Mushkin) and now my laptop won't boot up 12.04 32 bit. Here are the strange parts:

1) It loads Windows 7 32 bit just fine.
2) Windows 7 32 bit recognizes both sticks of RAM.
3) when I try to run a memory test it dies.
4) When I try to boot from a live-cd (flash drive) it dies, restarts, and dies again (here is the link to a video of it doing this: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8CbI2pSVK9xQTRHV2k3SmllNk0

Many thanks in advance for whatever help anyone can give me with this.

TOMBSTONEV2
December 19th, 2012, 07:41 AM
When you try to run a memory test in windows it dies? It seems pretty evident to me that the new ram is not exactly right for your computer causing system instability. Each operating system utilizes hardware differently. As Linux is not Windows it comes as no surprise to me that they behave differently.

Bottom line is: Your computer in general was working fine, you installed new hardware now its not running fine. Probably not ubuntu's fault.

You might want to make sure there is no dust on the rams connection slot. make sure it is the proper frequency, and size. Some motherboards don't support too much space. Sometimes simply taking the ram out and putting it back in fixes any problems..

oldfred
December 19th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Does computer say it supports that much RAM?

What speeds does computer specify and are new modules the correct speed?

You just cannot add more memory if system does not support it.

TOMBSTONEV2
December 19th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks oldfred, you said it so much better than me. I couldn't find the words I was looking for. :)

bookcrazy
December 20th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Thank you very much for your replies!

To answer your questions:

It can take 8 gigs of ram and it died while doing the memtest before logging into windows.

So I took it into a repairman and he tested the modules: they are faulty. I'll be taking them back for a refund tomorrow.