PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Help in finding a way to configure Flux, fast

U-Ren
December 16th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I have an Asus eeepc 1000h netbook with Xubuntu 12.10 freshly installed. I want to use Fluxbox on it but I don't have time to configure menus and such. This netbook has to be in working shape and asap, not in the situation where I have to pause a minute to find an application.

Anyone knows a tutorial/pre-configured script/anything that will not eat too much time? Like I said, I only need a menu configuration or some sort of easy to use dock to find apps.

(I want to keep xubuntu as it's the only distro that works out the box with this netbook and I did try a LOT of them)

Thank you!

andrew.46
December 17th, 2012, 01:16 PM
As a long time Fluxbox user I have to say that to get this great window manager up and running you will have to initially spend some considerable time getting things right. There are a few automated tools and docks available but really tinkering with the configuration files in ~/.fluxbox is still the best way to go...

U-Ren
January 2nd, 2013, 11:20 PM
As a long time Fluxbox user I have to say that to get this great window manager up and running you will have to initially spend some considerable time getting things right. There are a few automated tools and docks available but really tinkering with the configuration files in ~/.fluxbox is still the best way to go...

(late reply) I realized that somewhere along the way and ended using ldxe. Hopefully I'll have more time to give flux another try this year.

andrew.46
January 4th, 2013, 03:42 AM
(late reply) I realized that somewhere along the way and ended using ldxe. Hopefully I'll have more time to give flux another try this year.

I hope you do, fluxbox is well worth the initial setup. Once the initial configuration is done there is little ongoing maintenance to do, you are left to enjoy a clean, minimalist window manager :)