PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where Is my Skype Name password stored?

welshmike
December 7th, 2012, 12:51 PM
After Ubuntu hung my Skype password was lost. I have forgotten it and the email address I used to start using Skype was tied to a previous ISP so I can't use it to get my password sent or reset.
Help!

haqking
December 7th, 2012, 12:55 PM
After Ubuntu hung my Skype password was lost. I have forgotten it and the email address I used to start using Skype was tied to a previous ISP so I can't use it to get my password sent or reset.
Help!

Contact Skype

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1170/how-can-i-contact-skype-customer-service

westie457
December 7th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Best suggestion is create a new account.

Recommended by Skype on their support pages. https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA109/i-ve-forgotten-my-password#pwd2

welshmike
December 7th, 2012, 01:10 PM
That is of course a pain because I have to get my contacts renewed and also lose the money I put on my account for cheap phone calls abroad.
Interesting that it is since Microsoft took over Skype that I've had problems. Must just be a coincidence of course ;)

haqking
December 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM
That is of course a pain because I have to get my contacts renewed and also lose the money I put on my account for cheap phone calls abroad.
Interesting that it is since Microsoft took over Skype that I've had problems. Must just be a coincidence of course ;)

Microsoft have nothing to do with it, how are they responsible for you changing your ISP and forgetting your password ?

Backup your details, it is your fault.

welshmike
December 7th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Microsoft have nothing to do with it, how are they responsible for you changing your ISP and forgetting your password ?

Backup your details, it is your fault.

Well of course Microsoft have nothing to do with changing my ISP. That is rather self-evident.

It is indeed remiss of me to to have kept a record of my Skype password although it should have been one of those I remembered and tried.

I do however keep true image backups of my MSi notebook's drive that runs dual boot XP/Ubuntu systems.
Interestingly I was able to sign in to my Skype Name on my ASUS Netbook just now automatically after boot of the system. But about a minute later suddenly the system switched to the Skype sign in window with a blank password field.
I wonder if my Skype account has been compromised and the password changed?