PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ldap and dsn on ubuntu

Rakeshvijayan
December 4th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hi friends

I got a new requirement in my firm .That it is ,they ask me to all user in my firm have user name and password in server .all user must login to the server and store their data s to the server like ACTIVE DIRECTORY in windows ..Directors ask me to do it on windows os my question is , is it possible on OUR ubuntu system ...I search on google about this, i got information about ldap but I don't know how it works and configure on ubuntu

FRIENDS THIS IS AN URGENT REQUIREMENT ,if it don't possible the pressure from higher authorities make me to use windows os .I leave that os on past 2 years

THANKS

dapperdanny77
December 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM
hi,

the main question is what services do you have to provide for your users - fileservices, webservices, databases, whatever?

you can do all these things on linux and windows systems, but ...
what are your experiences with LDAP, Samba, Apache, ... on Linux? you have to have a more or less deep knowlege about these pieces of software - if not, this whole project can become very frustrating for all participants.

decide carefully - be pragmatic

Neill_R
December 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I am running a Ubuntu -Windows AD domain. The Ubuntu machine is the gateway to the Internet and I use centrifydc to connect it to my windows domain. It all seems to work well but I am no expert in server administration either Windows or Linux. However I am running postfix mail-server, apache web server printer server. I also have Ubuntu-desktop installed users can log in to the domain on the Ubuntu server as they can with Windows and are validated against the domain.

firstname.lastname@i-surname.co.uk or i-surname\firstname.lastname.

check it out at
http://www.centrify.com/express/free.asp (http://www.centrify.com/express/free.asp)

FYI I am using Windows 2000 Advanced server SP4 and Centrify is new I believe

Rakeshvijayan
December 6th, 2012, 07:37 AM
also have Ubuntu-desktop installed users can log in to the domain on the Ubuntu server as they can with Windows and are validated against the domain.

Site give me Idea for integrating ubuntu system to windows active directory am I correct ?

I need an individual setup for ubuntu systems and windows systems in my ubuntu server
like windows server os .My requirement is that all users in my firm must can login all system with their user id and password , They need GUI and store their date in their own shared directory and can access any where in lan systems

IS IT POSSIBLE ON OUR UBUNTU , I DONT KNOW WHICH SERVICE AND PACKAGES ARE NEED FOR THIS

Thanks

Rakeshvijayan
December 6th, 2012, 07:46 AM
hi,

the main question is what services do you have to provide for your users - fileservices, webservices, databases, whatever?

you can do all these things on linux and windows systems, but ...
what are your experiences with LDAP, Samba, Apache, ... on Linux? you have to have a more or less deep knowlege about these pieces of software - if not, this whole project can become very frustrating for all participants.

decide carefully - be pragmatic

I need to give them samba , webbrowsing , enough but my requirement is windows system must act as client of ubuntu server .Is it possible ?

foxuser
December 7th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Hi,

You can try Zentyal

http://www.zentyal.org/

Rakeshvijayan
December 12th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Final question for all my friend Is any body configured ldap on ubuntu if so please

make tutorial about this topic else it may disadvantage of ubuntu

miguelpires
December 12th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Final question for all my friend Is any body configured ldap on ubuntu if so please

make tutorial about this topic else it may disadvantage of ubuntu

Hi,
I've an office running with 7 machines (not to big I know), using Zentyal as a Server and Ubuntu 12.04 as workstations. We have Ldap authentication (AD).

Is not easy to setup the "Zentyal" whay, and we, right now, only have share folders and gatway configured.

If you want i can share the how to.

Regard's
Miguel

miguelpires
December 12th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Sorry i don't read correctly your post:
The How to of Ldap (Zentyal whay) link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33841668/server%20conf.odt

regard's
Miguel