PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem after loading

mrnewtothis
December 2nd, 2012, 07:38 PM
I have tried this with the new 12 and the 10 4

after I load up Ubuntu it works fine and I run update and it runs fine for a couple of days

Then I load on a sellection of programs mainly from the ubuntu programs and then after restart it comes up with a message that reads.

mount: mountin /dev/dis/by-uuid 78163c67-3251-4487-aeab-f5b547fc9d7d on/root

Failed invalid argument

More of the same as above about devon then No such file or directory
Then the same for Sys and for proc

Target file does not have /sbin/init
no init found

Then the busy box stuff and then the enter help

Sorry i tried to shorten it as much as i could but anyone know what is going wrong or which of the help commands i can use to fix it rather than reloading it all again.

thanks for any help

Bashing-om
December 2nd, 2012, 08:11 PM
mrnewtothis; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

As the fault is repetitive in nature, and appears after installing programs; I would be concerned that the disk drive is failing. To check:
Fire up the disk utility(12.04: dash->search term "disk utility"->icon and run the diagnostics on the disk in question.

one thing at a time <== BDQ

mrnewtothis
December 3rd, 2012, 03:17 AM
mrnewtothis; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

As the fault is repetitive in nature, and appears after installing programs; I would be concerned that the disk drive is failing. To check:
Fire up the disk utility(12.04: dash->search term "disk utility"->icon and run the diagnostics on the disk in question.

one thing at a time <== BDQ

Thanks for the responce

run the check and it came up with errors so I removed the partition and reformated the new one and run the test again and the errors were gone.

so i have started the load of 10 4 again (sorry I prefer that one.) and will see what happens.

Thanks again hopefully it will all work ok but I am sure I will be back for more help.

Bashing-om
December 3rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
Not a problem at all ! ...My wife is devoted to 10.04, and took me a while to take the plunge to 12.04.... After a bit I find I prefer 12.04 (faster and intuitive).

Pleased things are sorted out for ya......and yes the community is here in the event of future needs !

happy ubuntu'n <== BDQ