PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Drive Issues

Jacobm001
November 30th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I'm running the latest ubuntu server on a x32 tower. Recently I just purchased a 2tb drive (Segate ATA ST2000DM001-1CH1) for it, but I'm having trouble making it work.

Webmin recognizes the fact that the drive exists, but does not recognize the total size. It says there are 0 partitions on it, and when I try to add one it gives me an error of:

Failed to save partition : parted -s /dev/sdb unit cyl mkpart primary 0 243201 failed : Error: /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label

Any ideas as to what would cause this? Googling it wasn't very helpful.

darkod
November 30th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure if webmin can handle a new drive without any partition table existing. And I would suggest to forget webmin about partitioning, just do it in terminal (or over ssh if that's how you are accessing the server).

Try this:
Log into the server and in terminal create new partition table with parted. The choice is yours whether you will create msdos or gpt table.

sudo parted /dev/sdb
mklabel msdos (or mklabel gpt)
quit

That will create new blank table. After that, you can create partitions using parted, or webmin if you insist on using it.

PS. Note that if you create a gpt table and you plan this disk to have the grub bootloader installed now or later, you will need to create a small bios_grub partition so that grub2 has enough space to install.