PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Insufficient Hard drive Space?

Andorudesu
November 25th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I'm currently trying to install World of Warcraft on Ubuntu 12.10, and I finally got my computer to go to the install screen, but when I click install, it says
There is insufficient space on your hard drive. Please clear some space or select a different drive and try again. 22.0GB required. I don't have a clue as to why this is showing. I'm almost positive that I have more than a few hundred gigs in my Ubuntu partition. Any help would be great, Thanks in advance.:P

ibjsb4
November 25th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Wow, thats one big game. Anyhow; take a look at your HDD space.

Open a terminal (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal#Starting_a_Terminal) and enter:

df -h

Andorudesu
November 25th, 2012, 05:20 AM
It says I have 408G of space left.

leedle-cx@ubuntu:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop0 24G 20G 4.2G 83% /
udev 1.9G 4.0K 1.9G 1% /dev
tmpfs 781M 904K 780M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 2.0G 2.3M 2.0G 1% /run/shm
none 100M 32K 100M 1% /run/user
/dev/sda3 456G 49G 408G 11% /host

Andorudesu
November 25th, 2012, 06:14 AM
I've tried everything I know to do, so if anyone has ANY suggestions, PLEASE let me know. Do you think I could have to do a fresh install of Ubuntu again? I also can't copy things withing my system. I tried copying a file from a CD and it says "There is not enough space on the destination. Try to remove files to make space." Gosh, what can I do?:confused:

ibjsb4
November 25th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Should of said more than that; 408G of space left where?

Also, have you been here?

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=World+of+Warcraft&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en

Andorudesu
November 25th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I was assuming that /dev/sda3 was my Ubuntu partition, but I was most likely wrong...
No, but I'll check on it.

ibjsb4
November 25th, 2012, 07:10 AM
What you appear to have is a wubi install (ubuntu inside windows). If this is what you have, a wubi install is limited to 30G max and you have only 4.2G left open.

Andorudesu
November 25th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Oh. So what do you suggest that I do?

krustenBrot
November 25th, 2012, 10:12 AM
You could run WoW on Windows and install it there.
Or split up the Partition and install Ubuntu natively if you want to use it as a OS in future. The option to "take" space from your Windows Partition is given during the Ubuntu setup.

ibjsb4
November 25th, 2012, 04:10 PM
You could run WoW on Windows and install it there.
Or split up the Partition and install Ubuntu natively if you want to use it as a OS in future. The option to "take" space from your Windows Partition is given during the Ubuntu setup.

Yep, time to upgrade you ubuntu install.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=World+of+Warcraft&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en

Mark Phelps
November 25th, 2012, 04:23 PM
IF you're running Win7, do NOT use the Ubuntu installer to shrink the Win7 filesystem. Doing so risks corrupting the Win7 install and rendering it unbootable. Use only the Win7 Disk Management utility to shrink Win7.

Also, while you're in Win7, running the Disk Management utility, count the number of "drives" (actually, they are partitions). IF you already have the maximum of 4, forcing the creation of a fifth with automatically convert your partitions to Dynamic Disks -- something you do NOT want to do.

Andorudesu
November 25th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Okay. Thanks for your help.:P I decided to install Ubuntu in it's own partition with a thumb drive. Fingers crossed that it works!

bilkay
November 25th, 2012, 09:42 PM
There's another possible solution to your problem.

Your root filesystem (/dev/loop0) is actually a 24GB file on your ntfs drive. You can create another such filesystem and mount it, perhaps at /home. Here's how:

~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/host/MyNewHome bs=1K count=24M
~$ mkfs -t ext3 /host/MyNewHome
Note: mkfs will tell you that it's not a block device and ask if you want to proceed. Answer "y".

You have now created a new 24GB (or whatever size you like) filesystem that can be mounted wherever you like. If it's going to be your new /home, you'll need to mount it somewhere and then copy your current /home to it:

~$ sudo mnt /host/MyNewHome /mnt
~$ cd mnt
~$ sudo cp -pr /home/* .To mount it at /home, add this entry to /etc/fstab. Make sure it's after the /host entry:

/host/MyNewHome /home ext3 loop,errors=remount-ro 0 1

After restart, df /home should tell you that it is a 24B filesystem mounted at /dev/loop1. If so, that's half your problem solved. The other half is clearing out the old /home directory to free up space on your root directory. For this you'll need a rescue disk or thumb drive. After a normal restart, your new home will be mounted over the old home, so you won't have access to it. That's why you need to use the rescue mode.

Your /etc/fstab should tell you where on your C: drive the ubuntu file is. In rescue mode, mount that file somewhere. If somewhere is /mnt, then:

~$ cd /mnt/home
~$ rm -Rf *

bilkay
November 27th, 2012, 02:15 AM
On second thought, it's not necessary to use rescue mode. Just mount your root directory at some other mount point (e.g. /mnt). If you're using WUBI, you'll have to use the loop option to mount it.