PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing get Installing with atapi cd-rom no emulation

ecarndt1
November 24th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 from image downloaded burnt two Cd's for install got same message the Ubuntu desktop starts get a install screen but only get a timing icon after that. It was timing for 3-4 hours. the computer it is on is a Sony Vaio Pentium 4 1.8 GHz with 512 MHz ram the CPU has 512 cache. boot sequence is CD-ROM , USB then hard drive. Does anyone have any ideas?

ibjsb4
November 24th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Hi ecarndt1, welcome to the forums :)

Did you use the check cd option after the burn?

Did you burn at low speed?

Edit: Did you use the option to try ubuntu before installing?

2F4U
November 24th, 2012, 05:48 PM
512 MB of RAM, if I read this right, fulfills the bare minimum requirements. This may be even reduced if you have a shared graphics card. It would probably be best if you try something lighter such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

ibjsb4
November 24th, 2012, 05:59 PM
512 MB of RAM, if I read this right, fulfills the bare minimum requirements. This may be even reduced if you have a shared graphics card. It would probably be best if you try something lighter such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Very good idea.

http://xubuntu.org/

ecarndt1
November 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I will try Xubuntu I don't know if it is paired ram i might have some on the shelf. will look can you upgrade Xubuntu to ubuntu after installation and what is the difference? I am going to linux for the following reasons. i am fed-up with Microsoft not worrying about home users and allowing them to control what the system does and secondly want dd-rescue for several failed hard drives. Thanks for fast response will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks Everett

2F4U
November 24th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Xubuntu and Ubuntu share the same base, but have a different desktop environment. You will be able to install the Ubuntu desktop in Xubuntu and vice versa.

ibjsb4
November 24th, 2012, 07:45 PM
If you can upgrade you ram to say one gig, then go with Ubuntu. If not and 512 is all you have to work with then go with Xubuntu. Xubuntu uses the "xfce" desktop and will run faster will less ram.

I have installed Xubuntu on boxes with 512M of ram and they run really good and fast, don't think you will get the same results with the Unity desktop that Ubuntu comes with.