PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ext device problem since fresh install

unibroker
November 23rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
I installed 12.10 and have been this recurring problem every shutdown/startup which I do daily. I've finally isolated it to my external hard drive (HP Pocket Media which sits in a slot in the tower).

On startup I am initially hit with
ata- ID 258: HD IO Get Identity failed for dev/sdf: Invalid argument which displays right before the login screen. Then I get to the desktop and wait for it to finish loading before I do anything. I am hit with a series of errors, at least one system error having to do with
/usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd saying
udisks crashed with SIGSEGV in ffiz....... This is followed by computer freeze after which I have to do a hard shutdown. Strange but I have go through this one more time after reboot. The third time the system seems to stabilize and I am good to go for the rest of the day. From what I have researched the udisks error is initiated on the previous shutdown.

Today I decided to try and shutdown with the ext drive disconnected from its bay. From nautilus I unmounted and then physically took the drive from the bay. I then received a crash report from usr/bin/whoopsie. I have not researched this. I then tried to shutdown but when I got past the dialogue box asking it I wanted to shutdown the system froze and I had to do a hard shutdown. However, when I initiated the startup without the ext drive connected I got none of the notices before login nor when it finished loading.

I did all of this assuming I could just physically attach the hard drive and then mount it during the session. I cannot.
mount /dev/sdf
mount: can't find /dev/sdf in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab I then do a lsusb and the return
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Card Reader/Writer
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub No ext hard drive. Not sure what the problem is as this device is supposed to be hot-swapable.

The best would be to get this problem addressed on startup/shutdown but I do not know how to proceed and googling has proven fruitless. Any suggestions on how I might proceed would be appreciated.

Edit: I hadn't completely pushed in the ext drive to its bay. Nautilus does recognize it and indicates it's already mounted.