PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] system>administrator> synaptic package manager in ubuntu 12.04

sanjibarpi
November 22nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
i am using ubuntu 12.04 version. But I can not open the system>administrator> synaptic package manager. please help me.

coffeecat
November 22nd, 2012, 11:06 PM
Two things. Synaptic does not come in a default install of 12.04 so if you want it you will need to install it first using Software Centre.

Second:

But I can not open the system>administrator> synaptic package manager.

It sounds as though you are describing the old classic gnome desktop. 12.04 comes with the Unity desktop but you can install others. What desktop are you using?

dniMretsaM
November 22nd, 2012, 11:08 PM
i am using ubuntu 2.04 version. But I can not open the system>administrator> synaptic package manager. please help me.

Synaptic was dropped in 11.10. You'll have to install it (or just use apt-get all the time instead):

sudo apt-get install synaptic

sanjibarpi
November 22nd, 2012, 11:09 PM
i am using ubuntu 12.04 version. But I can not open the system>administrator> synaptic package manager. please help me.

sanjibarpi
November 22nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
if i want to run a fortran programme initiated by a .bash file. what package I need to install

dniMretsaM
November 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM

Did you try my suggestion? Also, System -> Administrator -> Synaptic won't exist since that's the GNOME 2 menus. You'll have to launch it through the dash (if you're using Unity, which is the default desktop on Ubuntu 12.04).