PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] publish shared printer server settings

gscratch
November 22nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
I apologise if this has been answered; a search did not find it. I want to share a printer from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to Windows machines

I have installed the printer, I can print to it correctly from the Ubuntu machine. In System Settings, I right-click the printer and share it. From a windows machine on the network I can see the shared-out printer. When I try to install the printer on that Windows machine, I get a permissions error

back in Ubuntu -> System Settings -> printer, when I un-share and then share the printer, the message is : "Shared printers are not available to other people unless the 'publish shared printers' option is enabled in the server settings" and in the printer's properties is "Not published. See server settings"

so my question is: what settings in what server? I find nothing in System Settings, or in a search of the Ubuntu desktop help, or of this forum

thanks.
Glen

gscratch
December 1st, 2012, 04:18 PM
no replies in a week?
Do you need more information?
thanks,

critin
December 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM
no replies in a week?
Do you need more information?
thanks,

I couldn't ever get my Lexmark to work between win and ubuntu, but I read that certain printers have problems. It can be seen, but wouldn't allow printing so I gave up. Some brands work instantly, others don't.

I assume you've permitted sharing on ALL networks in Windows?

gscratch
December 1st, 2012, 08:02 PM
Never mind; I found it.

however, I get a permissions error from the client, so I'll have to work on that. likely it's the user that I'm logged into the client as.

kgr132
December 11th, 2012, 12:35 AM
-EDIT-
I forgot, with the Global Menu a lot of things fade into the background. If you open up "Printers", a window appears showing any connected printers. Right clicking the printer to get its properties will show that it's not published. If you Cancel that and move your mouse to the top of the screen, the Printing menu will appear and Server is a choice. Clicking "Server" allows you to edit settings that will Publish your printer. It's a bit frustrating to have to revisit this, since my printer was "published" just fine for the past year. Apparently the upgrade from 11.10 to 12.10 "unpublished" it.