PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Whats the best download for deleting unnecessary files?

vegas89
November 22nd, 2012, 02:51 AM
I am running Ubuntu 12.4 and would like to know the best download the clean up my OS, unnecessary files, or duplicate files and things I don't need or use. :-k

not found
November 22nd, 2012, 02:59 AM
First thing that comes to mind is to look at what software you have installed that you don't use and remove it via the Ubuntu Software Center.

Secondly in the terminal you can run: sudo apt-get clean

To clear the cache you can use either the clean or the auto-clean op for a command-line program called apt-get. The clean command will remove every single cached item, while the auto-clean command only removes cached items that can no longer be downloaded (these items are often unnecessary).

as well as: sudo apt-get autoremove

packages can also become unused over time. If a package was installed to assist with running another program- and that program was subsequently removed-you no longer need the supporting package. You can remove it with autoremove

Source (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-do-i-cleanup-ubuntu.html)

Also keep in mind that Linux != Windows so many of the pardigms that held true for Windows don't apply to Linux.

ibjsb4
November 22nd, 2012, 03:05 AM
Bleachbit

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/

Its in the software center.

snowpine
November 22nd, 2012, 03:11 AM
Hi, why do you think you have unnecessary files? Are you having performance issues? Hard drive getting full?

vegas89
November 22nd, 2012, 03:24 AM
All my apps are running fine but I am having boot issues. My OS will not boot sometimes it will just stay paused on the purple screen at start up. I was thinking I may have redundant files that are causing problems.

houseworkshy
November 22nd, 2012, 03:26 AM
bleachbit is good but be sure of it's setup, it can take too much out such as other languages and bookmarks. Fslint is a handy one too, it has several extra options to bleachbit such as the option to look for and remove duplicate files. The above command line advise is also good "apt-get" has several disk clean up options, autoclean, autoremove, purge for when one wants to remove the settings of a program as well as the program itself. For more details type "man apt-get" in the terminal to see the commands manual page.

ibjsb4
November 22nd, 2012, 04:12 AM
All my apps are running fine but I am having boot issues. My OS will not boot sometimes it will just stay paused on the purple screen at start up. I was thinking I may have redundant files that are causing problems.

Maybe your bootlogd would shed some light on that, you need to turn it on. In terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/default/bootlogd

and change BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=No to:

BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=yes

Your bootlogd is located at /var/log/boot

And its a good idea to turn it off when finished with it so not to create unnecessary log files.

snowpine
November 22nd, 2012, 04:15 AM

I don't follow your logic in reaching that conclusion. Linux includes useful tools to diagnose boot problems; take a look in /var/log/messages next time you have this freeze, and then you'll be able to analyze the actual system messages, instead of randomly deleting files to see if it solves the problem.

Also see here for some older (but possibly still helpful) info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49925

DuckHook
November 22nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
+1 to snowpine. Very useful to ask why OP was enquiring. "Unnecessary files" are sometimes a jumped-to conclusion for unrelated and deeper seated problems.

To OP: your boot hangs are almost certainly due to something like misbehaving video modules or improper HDD settings, etc. Please follow snowpine's procedures before deleting anything at all. Linux is far less susceptable to choking from cruft than Windows, so look for other causes.

vegas89
November 22nd, 2012, 04:44 AM
Thank you snowpine and ibjsb4 for that valuable reply. I was not aware of the Linux boot issue tools and how to use them. I also installed bleachbit and did a system clean. I have not done a reboot yet. The information provided in the forum link, I believe will be very useful once I study on it and figure out how to use it. I am always learning. Thanks again ):P